Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17619 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5493 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13676 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8950 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8172 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (13506 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37392 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10853 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9517 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14486 views)