Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (53941 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7558 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (26073 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10462 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12560 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8162 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11406 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11994 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7737 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10692 views)