Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (7002 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (13111 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9705 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15741 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108106 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (117979 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11964 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11433 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (7189 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (11094 views)