Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (25505 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6103 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13784 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10203 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7876 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (19431 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8286 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10120 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19629 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11877 views)