Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (9330 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (33054 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (28438 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (7356 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (19080 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (12278 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (21188 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (10521 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (12124 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (12389 views)