Housetraining advice for puppy.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go outside. I punish her when I see her do it by putting her nose in it but I don't think this is working. Can you give me any advice?

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Puppies can certainly be frustrating at times! I'll give you a few thoughts here that may help and I'll also give you some links to some excellent information on housebreaking.

My first piece of advice is not to punish the puppy for urinating or defecating inside. This is very hard to do because it is so frustrating to see that they have made a mess. However, what happens is that when we do go outside with the pup, she thinks, QThanks Dr. Marie...that was some great information. Hopefully she'll learn soon!

You're very welcome!

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (14392 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (47571 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (7843 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (54800 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (27275 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (8341 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (12368 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (12221 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (10719 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (9958 views)