How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6644 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9552 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17612 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (39187 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (47149 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15571 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (5161 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (7427 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (14899 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7794 views)