How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32737 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9656 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11812 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6115 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9956 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (7030 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10546 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5571 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19514 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16723 views)