How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7557 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (25664 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53005 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7504 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (19948 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (45504 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28707 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (63772 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (23518 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6320 views)