How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (10883 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30872 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5059 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13089 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10491 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (29049 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20160 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5659 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6587 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38700 views)