How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6262 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (13296 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9587 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (25690 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (5481 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (6812 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (32931 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (14808 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (64498 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (27260 views)