How to remove stitches

Breed: Mixed Breed, German
Hi

Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life.

Ok we took her to the vet and it was the stick that was stuck in her throat for two years!

Here is the stick (or part of, no bigger than a nickle)

stick in dog

She had the stick removed and the puss wound drained.

She had what we call a "tickle teaser" added so she cannot bite

The vet says that we need to change the wound daily and remove the stitches ourselves after 7-9 days. Truth is we are scared. How do we remove stitches?

Any advice you can give, would again, be so amazing!

Here is our dog now

Thank you!

Yay! I'm so pleased everything worked out ok!

It's interesting that your vet instructed you to remove the stitches yourself...I don't think I've ever suggested that an owner do it themselves unless the owner was a doctor or nurse.

Yet, it's not difficult to do. You just need to use scissors to snip the stitch and then pull it. This is a crude drawing I just made to help you out:

stitch removal

Hope all heals well!

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5136 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11783 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (14602 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6376 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (32468 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16774 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (11729 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11818 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (21687 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8481 views)