Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5793 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6639 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9404 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6093 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12577 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7636 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (31404 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6277 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (20469 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (4631 views)