Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (11433 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (9066 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (18587 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (13770 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (7239 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (11505 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (15454 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (18530 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (17661 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (17273 views)