Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (5867 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (3880 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (54654 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8675 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (24437 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (31864 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4578 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (28182 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4153 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11123 views)