Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (13977 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (12129 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (17670 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7137 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (12779 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (10913 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (14180 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (11578 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (21646 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (19277 views)