Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (8606 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9179 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (6340 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (18115 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (6201 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (13344 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (29451 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8406 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (12424 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7971 views)