Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6978 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19908 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13584 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11667 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (12871 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66641 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10499 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24819 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6943 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10951 views)