Loss of muscle mass on one leg.

Breed: Samoyed
My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He started by not being able to get up by himself, now he can barely walk. What could this be? Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to hear that Dino is having problems with his leg.

A loss of muscle mass is usually because the dog is not using this leg as much as the other. The cause of that is usually because of pain.

There are a number of things that could be causing this pain. Arthritis is possible. If this is a hind leg, hip dysplasia, which is severe arthritis in the hip could be a cause. It could also be due to a joint problem, or a ligament tear such as an ACL tear in the knee. Although it is not common another cause could be a bone cancer.

It really would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Dino. They should be able to tell where the source of pain is and hopefully they can prescribe some anti-inflammatory medications that will help.

There is no over the counter medication that I would consider useful for Dino's case.

I hope he is ok!

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (15829 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6475 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11693 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13167 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (29452 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9886 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7230 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9506 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9647 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7689 views)