Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
Hi,
I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4 months old now. When I got him I was told he was eating purina and that was it. I got him some and have tried different ways of feeding him but the problem persists.
He's not had a single solid poop since I've gotten him. He has always had diarrhea. I figured it was just something that had to do with his habit of eating grass, but as he's cut that habit, it's concerning me. I've taken him to the vet and all I've gotten was "prednisone", which after looking it up, I didn't understand why they would give a pain medication when it's just a chronic diarrhea problem. I've given him various home remedies: pepto and pumpkin, but neither show much help. Lately he's been bleeding what looks like blood, but my parents believe he just can't digest the beef or the dyes in the dry dog food (he likes to eat the older dogs food) and they believe it's just the dyes. He seems to be having trouble because he strains when he poops sometimes and when he can go it's either alot of diarrhea that is normal colored or a little bit of diarrhea but it's red/ reddish brown.

Thing is, today he vomited a white foam and ran to his bed to sleep. He's still asleep as we speak.

What do you think it could be? Someone told me it could be separation anxiety or stress.

Oh the poor guy. It is definitely not normal for a puppy to have diarrhea for so long.

This is definitely not separation anxiety or stress. There has to be a physical medical problem here.

What tests has he had done? Has he been on medicines other than prednisone? It's a little unusual to put a puppy on prednisone for diarrhea. I am assuming that the prednisone was given thinking that this could be a food allergy or a food intolerance. But, if this was true then we should have seen a great improvement within a few days of starting the prednisone and this didn't happen.

If this were my case I would be running a fecal exam to look for parasites. If this was negative I would run a second one just to be sure.

The next thing I would be doing is sending stool to the lab to do DNA testing for conditions such as cryptosporidium, clostridium, salmonella, etc. This test can be a little pricey (around $140 or so).

Even if the fecal exam is negative I would likely be treating him with fenbendazole which is a very good dewormer that covers a lot of unusual parasites. I would likely also try a course of metronidazole which is an antibiotic that is good for the parasite giardia as well as helping with intestinal inflamation.

If these don't work then the next step would be to take biopsies of the intestines. This will tell us about more rare conditions. However, intestinal biopsies will be quite expensive.

If he has had some testing done already or been on other medications, let me know and I'll give you my opinion.

I hope you get some answers soon and I really hope that Winston feels better soon.

The vet didn't even look at him, the nurse just asked what seemed to be the problem and I told her diarrhea and she handed me prednisone. I was confused, but as I saw online that it could be a food intolerance, I changed his diet to something without beef and there was really no change in him.

Something doesn't add up here. Prednisone is a prescription medication and needs to be prescribed by a vet. If you are in the US or Canada, then it is illegal for anyone but a vet to give you prednisone. This would be true in most other parts of the world as well.

A food intolerance can cause some diarrhea, but this doesn't sound like a food intolerance at all.

I would bet money that there is an infectious problem here such as parasites or bacteria.

Winston needs to have a vet exam as soon as possible! I hope he does better soon!

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26446 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (51873 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10370 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5088 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14499 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (19609 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (49316 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8988 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11896 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (12425 views)