Vomited up chew toy.

Breed: patterdale terrier
My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got her up this morning it was a huge mess. Part of what she threw up were two large (2"x1") pieces of what looks like a rubber chew toy, though I don't recognize it. She didn't want breakfast and has spent the day eating grass and throwing up and wandering restlessly from room to room or sleeping for long periods. A development in the last two hours has been clear liquid dripping from her anus. It's not anal glad-related; it doesn't smell. She's letting me squeeze her stomach all over and quite hard. Under normal conditions her behavior is very consistent and she's acting like there is something wrong. Given what I've described, are there specific behaviors I should watch for that mean I should get her to the vet immediately? Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Bodkin is not feeling well.

There are lots of different things that can cause a dog to have diarrhea and vomiting. In most cases I am not too concerned.

However, if there is suspicion that a dog is vomiting because of of a foreign object (i.e. the potential chew toy) then I recommend having her seen right away. If there is a foreign object in the intestines, waiting another day could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, in this case I would recommend having an emergency vet take a look at Bodkin. They will likely want to take some xrays.

If you still have the foreign pieces that were vomited up, take them with you to the vet. If they do do xrays then it may be helpful for them to have those. They can put them next to her on the xray plate so they can see how well they show up on xrays.

Hopefully this is nothing too serious and she can be treated with medication. But, if it is more serious then we don't want to delay treatment at all!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer, but my intuition tells me the ER is the right way to go. I'm heading out now -- thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Margarita

You're very welcome. I always say to follow your gut.

I will be available tonight. (I'm not actively online as we are having people over for Superbowl) but I am near the computer. So, if you have decisions to make at the emergency clinic then feel free to reply.

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9671 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (53284 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16079 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10062 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (6730 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13038 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (21600 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (7804 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16624 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (18244 views)