Vomited up chew toy.

Breed: patterdale terrier
My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got her up this morning it was a huge mess. Part of what she threw up were two large (2"x1") pieces of what looks like a rubber chew toy, though I don't recognize it. She didn't want breakfast and has spent the day eating grass and throwing up and wandering restlessly from room to room or sleeping for long periods. A development in the last two hours has been clear liquid dripping from her anus. It's not anal glad-related; it doesn't smell. She's letting me squeeze her stomach all over and quite hard. Under normal conditions her behavior is very consistent and she's acting like there is something wrong. Given what I've described, are there specific behaviors I should watch for that mean I should get her to the vet immediately? Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Bodkin is not feeling well.

There are lots of different things that can cause a dog to have diarrhea and vomiting. In most cases I am not too concerned.

However, if there is suspicion that a dog is vomiting because of of a foreign object (i.e. the potential chew toy) then I recommend having her seen right away. If there is a foreign object in the intestines, waiting another day could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, in this case I would recommend having an emergency vet take a look at Bodkin. They will likely want to take some xrays.

If you still have the foreign pieces that were vomited up, take them with you to the vet. If they do do xrays then it may be helpful for them to have those. They can put them next to her on the xray plate so they can see how well they show up on xrays.

Hopefully this is nothing too serious and she can be treated with medication. But, if it is more serious then we don't want to delay treatment at all!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer, but my intuition tells me the ER is the right way to go. I'm heading out now -- thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Margarita

You're very welcome. I always say to follow your gut.

I will be available tonight. (I'm not actively online as we are having people over for Superbowl) but I am near the computer. So, if you have decisions to make at the emergency clinic then feel free to reply.

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16383 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28977 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (17498 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9369 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (19359 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29277 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (10667 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8006 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9474 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59352 views)