Vomited up chew toy.

Breed: patterdale terrier
My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got her up this morning it was a huge mess. Part of what she threw up were two large (2"x1") pieces of what looks like a rubber chew toy, though I don't recognize it. She didn't want breakfast and has spent the day eating grass and throwing up and wandering restlessly from room to room or sleeping for long periods. A development in the last two hours has been clear liquid dripping from her anus. It's not anal glad-related; it doesn't smell. She's letting me squeeze her stomach all over and quite hard. Under normal conditions her behavior is very consistent and she's acting like there is something wrong. Given what I've described, are there specific behaviors I should watch for that mean I should get her to the vet immediately? Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Bodkin is not feeling well.

There are lots of different things that can cause a dog to have diarrhea and vomiting. In most cases I am not too concerned.

However, if there is suspicion that a dog is vomiting because of of a foreign object (i.e. the potential chew toy) then I recommend having her seen right away. If there is a foreign object in the intestines, waiting another day could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, in this case I would recommend having an emergency vet take a look at Bodkin. They will likely want to take some xrays.

If you still have the foreign pieces that were vomited up, take them with you to the vet. If they do do xrays then it may be helpful for them to have those. They can put them next to her on the xray plate so they can see how well they show up on xrays.

Hopefully this is nothing too serious and she can be treated with medication. But, if it is more serious then we don't want to delay treatment at all!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer, but my intuition tells me the ER is the right way to go. I'm heading out now -- thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Margarita

You're very welcome. I always say to follow your gut.

I will be available tonight. (I'm not actively online as we are having people over for Superbowl) but I am near the computer. So, if you have decisions to make at the emergency clinic then feel free to reply.

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12160 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (11977 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (12503 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (28465 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (10703 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (6362 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13676 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (13453 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (24200 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9069 views)