Vomited up chew toy.

Breed: patterdale terrier
My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got her up this morning it was a huge mess. Part of what she threw up were two large (2"x1") pieces of what looks like a rubber chew toy, though I don't recognize it. She didn't want breakfast and has spent the day eating grass and throwing up and wandering restlessly from room to room or sleeping for long periods. A development in the last two hours has been clear liquid dripping from her anus. It's not anal glad-related; it doesn't smell. She's letting me squeeze her stomach all over and quite hard. Under normal conditions her behavior is very consistent and she's acting like there is something wrong. Given what I've described, are there specific behaviors I should watch for that mean I should get her to the vet immediately? Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Bodkin is not feeling well.

There are lots of different things that can cause a dog to have diarrhea and vomiting. In most cases I am not too concerned.

However, if there is suspicion that a dog is vomiting because of of a foreign object (i.e. the potential chew toy) then I recommend having her seen right away. If there is a foreign object in the intestines, waiting another day could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, in this case I would recommend having an emergency vet take a look at Bodkin. They will likely want to take some xrays.

If you still have the foreign pieces that were vomited up, take them with you to the vet. If they do do xrays then it may be helpful for them to have those. They can put them next to her on the xray plate so they can see how well they show up on xrays.

Hopefully this is nothing too serious and she can be treated with medication. But, if it is more serious then we don't want to delay treatment at all!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer, but my intuition tells me the ER is the right way to go. I'm heading out now -- thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Margarita

You're very welcome. I always say to follow your gut.

I will be available tonight. (I'm not actively online as we are having people over for Superbowl) but I am near the computer. So, if you have decisions to make at the emergency clinic then feel free to reply.

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7478 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (11253 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10104 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (34215 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6904 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25469 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9211 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (13051 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21112 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (13752 views)