Vomited up chew toy.

Breed: patterdale terrier
My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got her up this morning it was a huge mess. Part of what she threw up were two large (2"x1") pieces of what looks like a rubber chew toy, though I don't recognize it. She didn't want breakfast and has spent the day eating grass and throwing up and wandering restlessly from room to room or sleeping for long periods. A development in the last two hours has been clear liquid dripping from her anus. It's not anal glad-related; it doesn't smell. She's letting me squeeze her stomach all over and quite hard. Under normal conditions her behavior is very consistent and she's acting like there is something wrong. Given what I've described, are there specific behaviors I should watch for that mean I should get her to the vet immediately? Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Bodkin is not feeling well.

There are lots of different things that can cause a dog to have diarrhea and vomiting. In most cases I am not too concerned.

However, if there is suspicion that a dog is vomiting because of of a foreign object (i.e. the potential chew toy) then I recommend having her seen right away. If there is a foreign object in the intestines, waiting another day could mean the difference between life and death.

Unfortunately, in this case I would recommend having an emergency vet take a look at Bodkin. They will likely want to take some xrays.

If you still have the foreign pieces that were vomited up, take them with you to the vet. If they do do xrays then it may be helpful for them to have those. They can put them next to her on the xray plate so they can see how well they show up on xrays.

Hopefully this is nothing too serious and she can be treated with medication. But, if it is more serious then we don't want to delay treatment at all!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you. I was hoping for a different answer, but my intuition tells me the ER is the right way to go. I'm heading out now -- thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Margarita

You're very welcome. I always say to follow your gut.

I will be available tonight. (I'm not actively online as we are having people over for Superbowl) but I am near the computer. So, if you have decisions to make at the emergency clinic then feel free to reply.

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9867 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6770 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (11366 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (8127 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (23071 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (16569 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (12826 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (25569 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (20016 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15803 views)