Pit bull with pink skin.

Breed: Pit Bull
I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately white face and neck and black on the back and buttocks. He has always had a sort of pink coloring throughout his body (around the eyes, nose, mouth and under the belly area). Lately he seems to be getting more pink. Is this some sort of condition? Is he sick? I am starting to worry. Mind you he is not lethargic, eats and drinks well, and extremely playful (wagging tail always). I just do not want to assume everything is okay and one day we lose what we now consider a family member. In a female dominated family my husband considers him a son. "smile" Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your question. I am getting a lot of pit bull questions lately!

It sounds like what you are describing is nothing to worry about. I have seen dogs have pigment changes like this before.

Where I would be worried is if the pink skin was itchy or ulcerated. Then, there may be a disease process going on.

One other thought is that if the skin is pink in patches then it could be that there is some hair loss and what you are seeing as pink skin is actually a loss of hair (and you can just see the skin more clearly.) If you think this is happening then you can talk to your vet about the possibility of demodex.

However, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Greetings, Thank you so very much for your quick response.
My family deeply appreciates the information you supplied about our Hannibal. We will definitely send Hannibal to a vet if he experiences any itching and/or ulcerations.
Sincerely, Anita Wilson and family!!!

You're very welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8486 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22383 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11206 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (28852 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (24830 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11805 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12684 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (20031 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4995 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9715 views)