Pit bull with pink skin.

Breed: Pit Bull
I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately white face and neck and black on the back and buttocks. He has always had a sort of pink coloring throughout his body (around the eyes, nose, mouth and under the belly area). Lately he seems to be getting more pink. Is this some sort of condition? Is he sick? I am starting to worry. Mind you he is not lethargic, eats and drinks well, and extremely playful (wagging tail always). I just do not want to assume everything is okay and one day we lose what we now consider a family member. In a female dominated family my husband considers him a son. "smile" Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your question. I am getting a lot of pit bull questions lately!

It sounds like what you are describing is nothing to worry about. I have seen dogs have pigment changes like this before.

Where I would be worried is if the pink skin was itchy or ulcerated. Then, there may be a disease process going on.

One other thought is that if the skin is pink in patches then it could be that there is some hair loss and what you are seeing as pink skin is actually a loss of hair (and you can just see the skin more clearly.) If you think this is happening then you can talk to your vet about the possibility of demodex.

However, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Greetings, Thank you so very much for your quick response.
My family deeply appreciates the information you supplied about our Hannibal. We will definitely send Hannibal to a vet if he experiences any itching and/or ulcerations.
Sincerely, Anita Wilson and family!!!

You're very welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28319 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12636 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10281 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (13084 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10860 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13991 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6873 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5508 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (119817 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12194 views)