Pit bull with pink skin.

Breed: Pit Bull
I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately white face and neck and black on the back and buttocks. He has always had a sort of pink coloring throughout his body (around the eyes, nose, mouth and under the belly area). Lately he seems to be getting more pink. Is this some sort of condition? Is he sick? I am starting to worry. Mind you he is not lethargic, eats and drinks well, and extremely playful (wagging tail always). I just do not want to assume everything is okay and one day we lose what we now consider a family member. In a female dominated family my husband considers him a son. "smile" Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your question. I am getting a lot of pit bull questions lately!

It sounds like what you are describing is nothing to worry about. I have seen dogs have pigment changes like this before.

Where I would be worried is if the pink skin was itchy or ulcerated. Then, there may be a disease process going on.

One other thought is that if the skin is pink in patches then it could be that there is some hair loss and what you are seeing as pink skin is actually a loss of hair (and you can just see the skin more clearly.) If you think this is happening then you can talk to your vet about the possibility of demodex.

However, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Greetings, Thank you so very much for your quick response.
My family deeply appreciates the information you supplied about our Hannibal. We will definitely send Hannibal to a vet if he experiences any itching and/or ulcerations.
Sincerely, Anita Wilson and family!!!

You're very welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (12144 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (11457 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (15303 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (17845 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (78493 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (10379 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (6010 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (9592 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (9471 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (18771 views)