Pit bull with pink skin.

Breed: Pit Bull
I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately white face and neck and black on the back and buttocks. He has always had a sort of pink coloring throughout his body (around the eyes, nose, mouth and under the belly area). Lately he seems to be getting more pink. Is this some sort of condition? Is he sick? I am starting to worry. Mind you he is not lethargic, eats and drinks well, and extremely playful (wagging tail always). I just do not want to assume everything is okay and one day we lose what we now consider a family member. In a female dominated family my husband considers him a son. "smile" Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your question. I am getting a lot of pit bull questions lately!

It sounds like what you are describing is nothing to worry about. I have seen dogs have pigment changes like this before.

Where I would be worried is if the pink skin was itchy or ulcerated. Then, there may be a disease process going on.

One other thought is that if the skin is pink in patches then it could be that there is some hair loss and what you are seeing as pink skin is actually a loss of hair (and you can just see the skin more clearly.) If you think this is happening then you can talk to your vet about the possibility of demodex.

However, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Greetings, Thank you so very much for your quick response.
My family deeply appreciates the information you supplied about our Hannibal. We will definitely send Hannibal to a vet if he experiences any itching and/or ulcerations.
Sincerely, Anita Wilson and family!!!

You're very welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7909 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (100325 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (7329 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (14490 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24948 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19942 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14940 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19901 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (8547 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14397 views)