Pit bull with pink skin.

Breed: Pit Bull
I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately white face and neck and black on the back and buttocks. He has always had a sort of pink coloring throughout his body (around the eyes, nose, mouth and under the belly area). Lately he seems to be getting more pink. Is this some sort of condition? Is he sick? I am starting to worry. Mind you he is not lethargic, eats and drinks well, and extremely playful (wagging tail always). I just do not want to assume everything is okay and one day we lose what we now consider a family member. In a female dominated family my husband considers him a son. "smile" Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your question. I am getting a lot of pit bull questions lately!

It sounds like what you are describing is nothing to worry about. I have seen dogs have pigment changes like this before.

Where I would be worried is if the pink skin was itchy or ulcerated. Then, there may be a disease process going on.

One other thought is that if the skin is pink in patches then it could be that there is some hair loss and what you are seeing as pink skin is actually a loss of hair (and you can just see the skin more clearly.) If you think this is happening then you can talk to your vet about the possibility of demodex.

However, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Greetings, Thank you so very much for your quick response.
My family deeply appreciates the information you supplied about our Hannibal. We will definitely send Hannibal to a vet if he experiences any itching and/or ulcerations.
Sincerely, Anita Wilson and family!!!

You're very welcome! Sounds like a good plan!

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (89998 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7873 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (34634 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (9799 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (11073 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (6259 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (12649 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (6595 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14333 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (15992 views)