Cat with bald belly.

Breed: my wife knows
Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia) said that it could be from allergies or fleas. We have kept her defleaed for the last year, and fed her hypo allergenic food. This seemed to help about 70%. She developed a bladder infection, so the vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days and we give her Hills s/d (8 weeks so far), because the vet said that the cat has sand in her bladder. Our cat has gotten fat and is really biting off her hair off her stomach real bad. We don't know what to do. Because we live in Latvia the vets and cat care is limited. Please advise on what to do. Thank you.

It is quite common to see a cat with a bald belly. The most common reason for this is if a cat is overgrooming due to "stress". Usually we don't know what the cause of stress is.

Many vets (myself included) believe that some cats will have overgrooming on their belly because of pain in their bladder. So, if Bella has a history of bladder problems then this could be the reason. You may find that her hair starts to grow back once the bladder problem is cleared up.

If a cat has a bald belly but is otherwise fine I don't usually treat her for anything. But, if she has scabs, red marks or sores or seems really irritated then I sometimes prescribe a short course of some steroids to help with the itch.

If she seems really uncomfortable you can talk to your vet about a medication called Amitriptyline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

Another product you can get without a prescription is something called Feliway which is a product you either plug into the wall or spray and it releases a chemical called a pheromone which helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels in cats.

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (10166 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (12903 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (23894 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (4507 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (17010 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (5113 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (12107 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (13006 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (6307 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (7740 views)