Cat with bald belly.

Breed: my wife knows
Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia) said that it could be from allergies or fleas. We have kept her defleaed for the last year, and fed her hypo allergenic food. This seemed to help about 70%. She developed a bladder infection, so the vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days and we give her Hills s/d (8 weeks so far), because the vet said that the cat has sand in her bladder. Our cat has gotten fat and is really biting off her hair off her stomach real bad. We don't know what to do. Because we live in Latvia the vets and cat care is limited. Please advise on what to do. Thank you.

It is quite common to see a cat with a bald belly. The most common reason for this is if a cat is overgrooming due to "stress". Usually we don't know what the cause of stress is.

Many vets (myself included) believe that some cats will have overgrooming on their belly because of pain in their bladder. So, if Bella has a history of bladder problems then this could be the reason. You may find that her hair starts to grow back once the bladder problem is cleared up.

If a cat has a bald belly but is otherwise fine I don't usually treat her for anything. But, if she has scabs, red marks or sores or seems really irritated then I sometimes prescribe a short course of some steroids to help with the itch.

If she seems really uncomfortable you can talk to your vet about a medication called Amitriptyline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

Another product you can get without a prescription is something called Feliway which is a product you either plug into the wall or spray and it releases a chemical called a pheromone which helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels in cats.

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (13184 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (7051 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (3181 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (59680 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (7450 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (9376 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (57751 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (65198 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (14896 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (7023 views)