Cat with bald belly.

Breed: my wife knows
Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia) said that it could be from allergies or fleas. We have kept her defleaed for the last year, and fed her hypo allergenic food. This seemed to help about 70%. She developed a bladder infection, so the vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days and we give her Hills s/d (8 weeks so far), because the vet said that the cat has sand in her bladder. Our cat has gotten fat and is really biting off her hair off her stomach real bad. We don't know what to do. Because we live in Latvia the vets and cat care is limited. Please advise on what to do. Thank you.

It is quite common to see a cat with a bald belly. The most common reason for this is if a cat is overgrooming due to "stress". Usually we don't know what the cause of stress is.

Many vets (myself included) believe that some cats will have overgrooming on their belly because of pain in their bladder. So, if Bella has a history of bladder problems then this could be the reason. You may find that her hair starts to grow back once the bladder problem is cleared up.

If a cat has a bald belly but is otherwise fine I don't usually treat her for anything. But, if she has scabs, red marks or sores or seems really irritated then I sometimes prescribe a short course of some steroids to help with the itch.

If she seems really uncomfortable you can talk to your vet about a medication called Amitriptyline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

Another product you can get without a prescription is something called Feliway which is a product you either plug into the wall or spray and it releases a chemical called a pheromone which helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels in cats.

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37163 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9413 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9936 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14609 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (46398 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57346 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6090 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12671 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (24614 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23223 views)