Cat with bald belly.

Breed: my wife knows
Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia) said that it could be from allergies or fleas. We have kept her defleaed for the last year, and fed her hypo allergenic food. This seemed to help about 70%. She developed a bladder infection, so the vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days and we give her Hills s/d (8 weeks so far), because the vet said that the cat has sand in her bladder. Our cat has gotten fat and is really biting off her hair off her stomach real bad. We don't know what to do. Because we live in Latvia the vets and cat care is limited. Please advise on what to do. Thank you.

It is quite common to see a cat with a bald belly. The most common reason for this is if a cat is overgrooming due to "stress". Usually we don't know what the cause of stress is.

Many vets (myself included) believe that some cats will have overgrooming on their belly because of pain in their bladder. So, if Bella has a history of bladder problems then this could be the reason. You may find that her hair starts to grow back once the bladder problem is cleared up.

If a cat has a bald belly but is otherwise fine I don't usually treat her for anything. But, if she has scabs, red marks or sores or seems really irritated then I sometimes prescribe a short course of some steroids to help with the itch.

If she seems really uncomfortable you can talk to your vet about a medication called Amitriptyline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

Another product you can get without a prescription is something called Feliway which is a product you either plug into the wall or spray and it releases a chemical called a pheromone which helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels in cats.

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (16517 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (56694 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (3635 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (2967 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (5528 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (8175 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (4656 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (10956 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (3887 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (11194 views)