Dog jealous over owner.

Breed: Black Lab
My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend and I kept one of them which is a male and a black lab also who is a year old. Well recently for the past 3 months whenever she is laying next to me or really close to me and he tries to get close she starts growling at him and then snaps at him but never bites or anything. She's been doing it lately to my brothers male dog who is 4 years old whenever he gets close to me but she's a very good listener to everything, trained really well, is very social with other dogs including the 2 males and with humans. She's never mean to humans or other dogs and whenever she does do what she does to the 2 males when they get close, after the incident she licks them and acts like it never happened. I just don't understand why she all of a sudden is doing this but only when she's close to me.

Hi and thanks for your question.

These types of problems can be difficult to deal with. Sometimes it's hard to know why a dog is starting to get a little growly.

My first question for you is whether Keila is spayed. If not, then getting her spayed may help. This will reduce the hormones in her system and as we all know, hormones can cause grumpiness!

It sounds like she is jealous over you as she is growling when your boyfriend comes near or if the other dog wants to get near to you. This is kind of like how a dog can be jealous of having a bone and doesn't want anyone else near it.

This usually happens when a dog becomes totally dependent on one person. So, I would suggest that you do all you can to have your boyfriend interact with her. If you and your boyfriend live separately you could consider having her live with him for a couple of weeks. Similarly, have him do all of the feeding, petting, walking, etc. During this time period, as hard as it is, try to make sure that you are not paying much attention to her. The idea is to get her to realize that she can get affection from people other than you. Then, she may not be so jealous about sharing you with other people (and dogs).

If this is not working there are a number of other things you can do, but it would be too much detail for me to go into in this forum. It would be great if you could talk to your vet about a referral to a behavioral specialist. It's better to do it now before the behavior gets worse!

I hope everything works out ok!

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4570 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6748 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6472 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18895 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5011 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7894 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9411 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18725 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5306 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (100651 views)