Dog jealous over owner.

Breed: Black Lab
My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend and I kept one of them which is a male and a black lab also who is a year old. Well recently for the past 3 months whenever she is laying next to me or really close to me and he tries to get close she starts growling at him and then snaps at him but never bites or anything. She's been doing it lately to my brothers male dog who is 4 years old whenever he gets close to me but she's a very good listener to everything, trained really well, is very social with other dogs including the 2 males and with humans. She's never mean to humans or other dogs and whenever she does do what she does to the 2 males when they get close, after the incident she licks them and acts like it never happened. I just don't understand why she all of a sudden is doing this but only when she's close to me.

Hi and thanks for your question.

These types of problems can be difficult to deal with. Sometimes it's hard to know why a dog is starting to get a little growly.

My first question for you is whether Keila is spayed. If not, then getting her spayed may help. This will reduce the hormones in her system and as we all know, hormones can cause grumpiness!

It sounds like she is jealous over you as she is growling when your boyfriend comes near or if the other dog wants to get near to you. This is kind of like how a dog can be jealous of having a bone and doesn't want anyone else near it.

This usually happens when a dog becomes totally dependent on one person. So, I would suggest that you do all you can to have your boyfriend interact with her. If you and your boyfriend live separately you could consider having her live with him for a couple of weeks. Similarly, have him do all of the feeding, petting, walking, etc. During this time period, as hard as it is, try to make sure that you are not paying much attention to her. The idea is to get her to realize that she can get affection from people other than you. Then, she may not be so jealous about sharing you with other people (and dogs).

If this is not working there are a number of other things you can do, but it would be too much detail for me to go into in this forum. It would be great if you could talk to your vet about a referral to a behavioral specialist. It's better to do it now before the behavior gets worse!

I hope everything works out ok!

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (13142 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (8602 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (19467 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (13365 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (6580 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (5276 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (200199 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (8599 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (9406 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (10593 views)