Dog jealous over owner.

Breed: Black Lab
My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend and I kept one of them which is a male and a black lab also who is a year old. Well recently for the past 3 months whenever she is laying next to me or really close to me and he tries to get close she starts growling at him and then snaps at him but never bites or anything. She's been doing it lately to my brothers male dog who is 4 years old whenever he gets close to me but she's a very good listener to everything, trained really well, is very social with other dogs including the 2 males and with humans. She's never mean to humans or other dogs and whenever she does do what she does to the 2 males when they get close, after the incident she licks them and acts like it never happened. I just don't understand why she all of a sudden is doing this but only when she's close to me.

Hi and thanks for your question.

These types of problems can be difficult to deal with. Sometimes it's hard to know why a dog is starting to get a little growly.

My first question for you is whether Keila is spayed. If not, then getting her spayed may help. This will reduce the hormones in her system and as we all know, hormones can cause grumpiness!

It sounds like she is jealous over you as she is growling when your boyfriend comes near or if the other dog wants to get near to you. This is kind of like how a dog can be jealous of having a bone and doesn't want anyone else near it.

This usually happens when a dog becomes totally dependent on one person. So, I would suggest that you do all you can to have your boyfriend interact with her. If you and your boyfriend live separately you could consider having her live with him for a couple of weeks. Similarly, have him do all of the feeding, petting, walking, etc. During this time period, as hard as it is, try to make sure that you are not paying much attention to her. The idea is to get her to realize that she can get affection from people other than you. Then, she may not be so jealous about sharing you with other people (and dogs).

If this is not working there are a number of other things you can do, but it would be too much detail for me to go into in this forum. It would be great if you could talk to your vet about a referral to a behavioral specialist. It's better to do it now before the behavior gets worse!

I hope everything works out ok!

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15274 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (11376 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (30886 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11925 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (21490 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (6357 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (117749 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (6551 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5423 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31594 views)