Metronidazole for cats alternative?

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed Metronidazole for treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Can Cerenia be used in place of Metronidazole - he REALLY hates it - makes him drool and slobber for several minutes after I administer the oral liquid.
Thanks. Or any other medicine similar to Metronidazolel

I totally know what you are saying about Metronidazole. It tastes awful. The reason why I know this is because when I was in vet school I was making a metronidazole slurry to give to a horse. I dropped the bowl and medication sprayed up and landed in my mouth. UGH! It really was a horrible taste.

Unfortunately Cerenia and Metronidazole are two totally different medications. Cerenia is an antivomiting medication and doesn't directly do anything for intestines. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and it also has properties that help calm inflamed intestines.

I have had some cats that take metronidazole when I get the pharmacist to make it into a small pill form. You can ask your vet if this is an option for you. You can also get it in chewable pills but not all cats eat these.

If this is a long term medication you could ask your vet if a small dose of steroid such as prednisolone or budesonide could be helpful.

I hope that helps!

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (21638 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (9149 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (10047 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (9122 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (7369 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (81614 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (23950 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (18475 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (44688 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (8743 views)