Metronidazole for cats alternative?

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed Metronidazole for treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Can Cerenia be used in place of Metronidazole - he REALLY hates it - makes him drool and slobber for several minutes after I administer the oral liquid.
Thanks. Or any other medicine similar to Metronidazolel

I totally know what you are saying about Metronidazole. It tastes awful. The reason why I know this is because when I was in vet school I was making a metronidazole slurry to give to a horse. I dropped the bowl and medication sprayed up and landed in my mouth. UGH! It really was a horrible taste.

Unfortunately Cerenia and Metronidazole are two totally different medications. Cerenia is an antivomiting medication and doesn't directly do anything for intestines. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and it also has properties that help calm inflamed intestines.

I have had some cats that take metronidazole when I get the pharmacist to make it into a small pill form. You can ask your vet if this is an option for you. You can also get it in chewable pills but not all cats eat these.

If this is a long term medication you could ask your vet if a small dose of steroid such as prednisolone or budesonide could be helpful.

I hope that helps!

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33278 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (29056 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (44504 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17969 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108227 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (13004 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18161 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6201 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24585 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28210 views)