Metronidazole for cats alternative?

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed Metronidazole for treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Can Cerenia be used in place of Metronidazole - he REALLY hates it - makes him drool and slobber for several minutes after I administer the oral liquid.
Thanks. Or any other medicine similar to Metronidazolel

I totally know what you are saying about Metronidazole. It tastes awful. The reason why I know this is because when I was in vet school I was making a metronidazole slurry to give to a horse. I dropped the bowl and medication sprayed up and landed in my mouth. UGH! It really was a horrible taste.

Unfortunately Cerenia and Metronidazole are two totally different medications. Cerenia is an antivomiting medication and doesn't directly do anything for intestines. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and it also has properties that help calm inflamed intestines.

I have had some cats that take metronidazole when I get the pharmacist to make it into a small pill form. You can ask your vet if this is an option for you. You can also get it in chewable pills but not all cats eat these.

If this is a long term medication you could ask your vet if a small dose of steroid such as prednisolone or budesonide could be helpful.

I hope that helps!

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9656 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (54268 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6427 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9748 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4817 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (11691 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17429 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9597 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (89688 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10957 views)