Metronidazole for cats alternative?

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed Metronidazole for treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Can Cerenia be used in place of Metronidazole - he REALLY hates it - makes him drool and slobber for several minutes after I administer the oral liquid.
Thanks. Or any other medicine similar to Metronidazolel

I totally know what you are saying about Metronidazole. It tastes awful. The reason why I know this is because when I was in vet school I was making a metronidazole slurry to give to a horse. I dropped the bowl and medication sprayed up and landed in my mouth. UGH! It really was a horrible taste.

Unfortunately Cerenia and Metronidazole are two totally different medications. Cerenia is an antivomiting medication and doesn't directly do anything for intestines. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and it also has properties that help calm inflamed intestines.

I have had some cats that take metronidazole when I get the pharmacist to make it into a small pill form. You can ask your vet if this is an option for you. You can also get it in chewable pills but not all cats eat these.

If this is a long term medication you could ask your vet if a small dose of steroid such as prednisolone or budesonide could be helpful.

I hope that helps!

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (22221 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (13930 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (12437 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (19311 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (21171 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (14432 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (10876 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (7503 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (31371 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (8717 views)