Metronidazole for cats alternative?

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed Metronidazole for treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Can Cerenia be used in place of Metronidazole - he REALLY hates it - makes him drool and slobber for several minutes after I administer the oral liquid.
Thanks. Or any other medicine similar to Metronidazolel

I totally know what you are saying about Metronidazole. It tastes awful. The reason why I know this is because when I was in vet school I was making a metronidazole slurry to give to a horse. I dropped the bowl and medication sprayed up and landed in my mouth. UGH! It really was a horrible taste.

Unfortunately Cerenia and Metronidazole are two totally different medications. Cerenia is an antivomiting medication and doesn't directly do anything for intestines. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and it also has properties that help calm inflamed intestines.

I have had some cats that take metronidazole when I get the pharmacist to make it into a small pill form. You can ask your vet if this is an option for you. You can also get it in chewable pills but not all cats eat these.

If this is a long term medication you could ask your vet if a small dose of steroid such as prednisolone or budesonide could be helpful.

I hope that helps!

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (11529 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (9088 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (8681 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (9033 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17849 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10885 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7300 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (8457 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6679 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (23135 views)