Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes.

Breed: white short hair dom

My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). She's generally very healthy, is very affectionate and has a lot of playful energy.

Over the last 3 days she has vomited 3 or 4 times, has a tiny bit of diarrhea (noticed a small bit in her litter box each day the last 3 days) and the skin around her eyes is red and she has some light green mucous coming out of them. She seems to have a less energy than usual but is otherwise her cuddly self. She is still eating and drinking water.

She hasn't eaten anything weird that I know of, nor is she exposed to any other animals. She has not been outside.

One other thing, our kitty starting overgrooming a few months ago and has no hair on her lower belly anymore. I took her to the vet and they said it might be from stress (we had a houseguest all summer/early fall) but that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be red or raw (and it doesn't). The vomit does not seem to have hair in it.

I plan to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better in a few days.

Thank you for your help!

-Andrea

Thanks for a great question Andrea.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Mercy, it sounds like she may be fighting a virus. Even indoor cats can pick up some airborne viruses.

The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. As long as her appetite is good then I would not be too worried.

However, if she has green discharge from here eyes then the virus may have caused an eye infection. If this is the case she will likely need antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to get better.

I think your plan is a good one. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon!

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (22114 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (24582 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18605 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (6945 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (10370 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (6458 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (13563 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (60506 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (31330 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (12543 views)