Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes.

Breed: white short hair dom

My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). She's generally very healthy, is very affectionate and has a lot of playful energy.

Over the last 3 days she has vomited 3 or 4 times, has a tiny bit of diarrhea (noticed a small bit in her litter box each day the last 3 days) and the skin around her eyes is red and she has some light green mucous coming out of them. She seems to have a less energy than usual but is otherwise her cuddly self. She is still eating and drinking water.

She hasn't eaten anything weird that I know of, nor is she exposed to any other animals. She has not been outside.

One other thing, our kitty starting overgrooming a few months ago and has no hair on her lower belly anymore. I took her to the vet and they said it might be from stress (we had a houseguest all summer/early fall) but that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be red or raw (and it doesn't). The vomit does not seem to have hair in it.

I plan to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better in a few days.

Thank you for your help!

-Andrea

Thanks for a great question Andrea.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Mercy, it sounds like she may be fighting a virus. Even indoor cats can pick up some airborne viruses.

The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. As long as her appetite is good then I would not be too worried.

However, if she has green discharge from here eyes then the virus may have caused an eye infection. If this is the case she will likely need antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to get better.

I think your plan is a good one. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon!

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (11569 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (6718 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (43677 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (25752 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10448 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (26701 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (17572 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (21961 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (36570 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (12608 views)