Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes.

Breed: white short hair dom

My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). She's generally very healthy, is very affectionate and has a lot of playful energy.

Over the last 3 days she has vomited 3 or 4 times, has a tiny bit of diarrhea (noticed a small bit in her litter box each day the last 3 days) and the skin around her eyes is red and she has some light green mucous coming out of them. She seems to have a less energy than usual but is otherwise her cuddly self. She is still eating and drinking water.

She hasn't eaten anything weird that I know of, nor is she exposed to any other animals. She has not been outside.

One other thing, our kitty starting overgrooming a few months ago and has no hair on her lower belly anymore. I took her to the vet and they said it might be from stress (we had a houseguest all summer/early fall) but that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be red or raw (and it doesn't). The vomit does not seem to have hair in it.

I plan to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better in a few days.

Thank you for your help!

-Andrea

Thanks for a great question Andrea.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Mercy, it sounds like she may be fighting a virus. Even indoor cats can pick up some airborne viruses.

The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. As long as her appetite is good then I would not be too worried.

However, if she has green discharge from here eyes then the virus may have caused an eye infection. If this is the case she will likely need antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to get better.

I think your plan is a good one. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon!

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7497 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8046 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (25997 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (7046 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8418 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22285 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (14822 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (31739 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8264 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20430 views)