Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes.

Breed: white short hair dom

My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). She's generally very healthy, is very affectionate and has a lot of playful energy.

Over the last 3 days she has vomited 3 or 4 times, has a tiny bit of diarrhea (noticed a small bit in her litter box each day the last 3 days) and the skin around her eyes is red and she has some light green mucous coming out of them. She seems to have a less energy than usual but is otherwise her cuddly self. She is still eating and drinking water.

She hasn't eaten anything weird that I know of, nor is she exposed to any other animals. She has not been outside.

One other thing, our kitty starting overgrooming a few months ago and has no hair on her lower belly anymore. I took her to the vet and they said it might be from stress (we had a houseguest all summer/early fall) but that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be red or raw (and it doesn't). The vomit does not seem to have hair in it.

I plan to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better in a few days.

Thank you for your help!

-Andrea

Thanks for a great question Andrea.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Mercy, it sounds like she may be fighting a virus. Even indoor cats can pick up some airborne viruses.

The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. As long as her appetite is good then I would not be too worried.

However, if she has green discharge from here eyes then the virus may have caused an eye infection. If this is the case she will likely need antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to get better.

I think your plan is a good one. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon!

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12322 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4620 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (28703 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11143 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (18909 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45821 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6791 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40277 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (30757 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (8712 views)