Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes.

Breed: white short hair dom

My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). She's generally very healthy, is very affectionate and has a lot of playful energy.

Over the last 3 days she has vomited 3 or 4 times, has a tiny bit of diarrhea (noticed a small bit in her litter box each day the last 3 days) and the skin around her eyes is red and she has some light green mucous coming out of them. She seems to have a less energy than usual but is otherwise her cuddly self. She is still eating and drinking water.

She hasn't eaten anything weird that I know of, nor is she exposed to any other animals. She has not been outside.

One other thing, our kitty starting overgrooming a few months ago and has no hair on her lower belly anymore. I took her to the vet and they said it might be from stress (we had a houseguest all summer/early fall) but that it wasn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be red or raw (and it doesn't). The vomit does not seem to have hair in it.

I plan to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better in a few days.

Thank you for your help!

-Andrea

Thanks for a great question Andrea.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Mercy, it sounds like she may be fighting a virus. Even indoor cats can pick up some airborne viruses.

The good news is that she is still eating and drinking. As long as her appetite is good then I would not be too worried.

However, if she has green discharge from here eyes then the virus may have caused an eye infection. If this is the case she will likely need antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to get better.

I think your plan is a good one. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon!

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (27330 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7852 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (14621 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (12557 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (15613 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (19261 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (6199 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (15504 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (8786 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6427 views)