Pill stuck in cat's mouth.

Breed: DSH
Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is on methimazole for thyroid. All returned normal except thryoid level slightly elevated. She seemed fine when she returned home except she was now limping on leg where blood was drawn. Friday night she went into hiding in the cellar for an unknown reason and refused to come back up and refused to eat. I took her to the Vet late last night. They did find her leg was bruised where the blood was drawn and gave her a shot of buprenex. I felt they did a thorough exam last night and checked her back, limbs, walking, eyes, blood pressure, temperature. They do not know what is wrong. Unexplained anorexia. They thought possibly traumatized from previous visit. They told me to give her 1/4 tab mirtazapine which I did this morning. She is semi-feral so that did not go well and it got lodged in her mouth. Foaming, drooling, etc. Few hours later I could tell it was still there in her mouth. She kept trying to spit it out even a few hours later and is whinning and whimpering. I wrapped her in towel and managed to get .4ml of water in her with syringe. That initiated the drooling and foaming all over again. She refuses to come out of hiding or eat still. She only weighs 5.5 lbs but she is an extremely petite cat but the Vet does not want her to lose weight. Question: how long will it take for this horrible mirtazapine to finally dissolve for her? Should I try another dose of water? She has not had any food since Friday, should I initiate force feeding with syringe or should I just wait and let her try on her own and finally should I take her back to the Vet if she does not start eating by tomorrow or should I wait until Tuesday? Thanks so much and look forward to hearing back from you.
Regards,
Shelley Rosa

Oh, poor Jinny. This sounds like a very unfortunate situation.

I don't think that there is much that you can do to help that pill dissolve. Most likely, trying to squirt water in her mouth will cause her more distress. You could possibly try offering her something tasty to drink such as some tuna juice or even a small amount of milk. Normally, I'm not a fan of giving milk to cats, but in this one situation it may be something that helps get the pill out of her mouth.

It's not uncommon for a cat to be a little bit sore after having blood drawn, but it really shouldn't last for longer than a day or two. If she is still not wanting to eat today then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on and yes, she should go back to see the vet again. The vet may want to do some additional blood tests or perhaps take xrays.

Force feeding probably won't accomplish much other than to contribute to her stress. You can try offering her some heated up canned cat food as some cats really like this. But again, if she is still not eating by today I think that the best option is to have her seen again.

Please let me know if you have more questions and I hope that things look up soon.

Thank you for your reply. Things have not improved. I have tried every type of cat food, tuna, baby food, chicken stock, no luck. She is going back to the Vet in an hour and a half and more than likely they will hospitalize her.

Regards,
Shelley Rosa

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (15589 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (13147 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (8042 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (11311 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9762 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (27456 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10784 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8515 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8723 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (50926 views)