Non healing abscess

Breed: Moggy
I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet bills!
Sooty developed a lump on his lower back that felt warmt o the touch, so I took him to the vet immediately. The vet popped a hole in it and mainly watery blood came out with a bit of pus. The vet gave him some antibiotics. About a week later he hurt his bump and it started to press on his spine, so he went straight back to the vets and had an op to drain it. The first night home there was lots of blood but it calmed down, even though we kept the wound open to allow for further drainage. The vet considered it successful and it didn't even bleed when he took the drain out. A week and a half later the bump has returned, and the vet doesn't know what to do as he has never seen anything like it. He said in a way it's similar to an aural hematoma but in the wrong place ocmpletely. He has ruled at cancer and various other things. It is filled with watery blood. Sooty is now on non-steroid anti inflammatory and stronger antibiotics, but I'm worried this isn't going to help and as the vet doesn't know what it is, will result in many more types of tests and ops.
Any advice please? I desperate!

Many thanks

Emily

I have a similar case in my practice right now. What we believe is happening in my patient's case is that this may be a resistant type of bacteria.

Has your vet run a culture? This is where they send the contents of the abscess away to find out what type of bacteria is growing there. It may need a combo of antibiotics or even a special type of antibiotic.

The other possibility is if there is something in there. If this is the case the wound may need to be really opened wide and flushed out well.

I hope he feels better soon!

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6858 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16429 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11960 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (24657 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (12979 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12920 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (25230 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9118 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (163829 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10452 views)