Non healing abscess

Breed: Moggy
I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet bills!
Sooty developed a lump on his lower back that felt warmt o the touch, so I took him to the vet immediately. The vet popped a hole in it and mainly watery blood came out with a bit of pus. The vet gave him some antibiotics. About a week later he hurt his bump and it started to press on his spine, so he went straight back to the vets and had an op to drain it. The first night home there was lots of blood but it calmed down, even though we kept the wound open to allow for further drainage. The vet considered it successful and it didn't even bleed when he took the drain out. A week and a half later the bump has returned, and the vet doesn't know what to do as he has never seen anything like it. He said in a way it's similar to an aural hematoma but in the wrong place ocmpletely. He has ruled at cancer and various other things. It is filled with watery blood. Sooty is now on non-steroid anti inflammatory and stronger antibiotics, but I'm worried this isn't going to help and as the vet doesn't know what it is, will result in many more types of tests and ops.
Any advice please? I desperate!

Many thanks

Emily

I have a similar case in my practice right now. What we believe is happening in my patient's case is that this may be a resistant type of bacteria.

Has your vet run a culture? This is where they send the contents of the abscess away to find out what type of bacteria is growing there. It may need a combo of antibiotics or even a special type of antibiotic.

The other possibility is if there is something in there. If this is the case the wound may need to be really opened wide and flushed out well.

I hope he feels better soon!

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (13857 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (13966 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16326 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (105062 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9660 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (16071 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (7824 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20381 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (18690 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (21485 views)