Non healing abscess

Breed: Moggy
I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet bills!
Sooty developed a lump on his lower back that felt warmt o the touch, so I took him to the vet immediately. The vet popped a hole in it and mainly watery blood came out with a bit of pus. The vet gave him some antibiotics. About a week later he hurt his bump and it started to press on his spine, so he went straight back to the vets and had an op to drain it. The first night home there was lots of blood but it calmed down, even though we kept the wound open to allow for further drainage. The vet considered it successful and it didn't even bleed when he took the drain out. A week and a half later the bump has returned, and the vet doesn't know what to do as he has never seen anything like it. He said in a way it's similar to an aural hematoma but in the wrong place ocmpletely. He has ruled at cancer and various other things. It is filled with watery blood. Sooty is now on non-steroid anti inflammatory and stronger antibiotics, but I'm worried this isn't going to help and as the vet doesn't know what it is, will result in many more types of tests and ops.
Any advice please? I desperate!

Many thanks

Emily

I have a similar case in my practice right now. What we believe is happening in my patient's case is that this may be a resistant type of bacteria.

Has your vet run a culture? This is where they send the contents of the abscess away to find out what type of bacteria is growing there. It may need a combo of antibiotics or even a special type of antibiotic.

The other possibility is if there is something in there. If this is the case the wound may need to be really opened wide and flushed out well.

I hope he feels better soon!

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7262 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (13232 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (18003 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8565 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10903 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11280 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8382 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (9992 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (31606 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10482 views)