Non healing abscess

Breed: Moggy
I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet bills!
Sooty developed a lump on his lower back that felt warmt o the touch, so I took him to the vet immediately. The vet popped a hole in it and mainly watery blood came out with a bit of pus. The vet gave him some antibiotics. About a week later he hurt his bump and it started to press on his spine, so he went straight back to the vets and had an op to drain it. The first night home there was lots of blood but it calmed down, even though we kept the wound open to allow for further drainage. The vet considered it successful and it didn't even bleed when he took the drain out. A week and a half later the bump has returned, and the vet doesn't know what to do as he has never seen anything like it. He said in a way it's similar to an aural hematoma but in the wrong place ocmpletely. He has ruled at cancer and various other things. It is filled with watery blood. Sooty is now on non-steroid anti inflammatory and stronger antibiotics, but I'm worried this isn't going to help and as the vet doesn't know what it is, will result in many more types of tests and ops.
Any advice please? I desperate!

Many thanks

Emily

I have a similar case in my practice right now. What we believe is happening in my patient's case is that this may be a resistant type of bacteria.

Has your vet run a culture? This is where they send the contents of the abscess away to find out what type of bacteria is growing there. It may need a combo of antibiotics or even a special type of antibiotic.

The other possibility is if there is something in there. If this is the case the wound may need to be really opened wide and flushed out well.

I hope he feels better soon!

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31357 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14062 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10477 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7112 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10982 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12571 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (28226 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (98246 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8189 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16280 views)