Non healing abscess

Breed: Moggy
I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet bills!
Sooty developed a lump on his lower back that felt warmt o the touch, so I took him to the vet immediately. The vet popped a hole in it and mainly watery blood came out with a bit of pus. The vet gave him some antibiotics. About a week later he hurt his bump and it started to press on his spine, so he went straight back to the vets and had an op to drain it. The first night home there was lots of blood but it calmed down, even though we kept the wound open to allow for further drainage. The vet considered it successful and it didn't even bleed when he took the drain out. A week and a half later the bump has returned, and the vet doesn't know what to do as he has never seen anything like it. He said in a way it's similar to an aural hematoma but in the wrong place ocmpletely. He has ruled at cancer and various other things. It is filled with watery blood. Sooty is now on non-steroid anti inflammatory and stronger antibiotics, but I'm worried this isn't going to help and as the vet doesn't know what it is, will result in many more types of tests and ops.
Any advice please? I desperate!

Many thanks

Emily

I have a similar case in my practice right now. What we believe is happening in my patient's case is that this may be a resistant type of bacteria.

Has your vet run a culture? This is where they send the contents of the abscess away to find out what type of bacteria is growing there. It may need a combo of antibiotics or even a special type of antibiotic.

The other possibility is if there is something in there. If this is the case the wound may need to be really opened wide and flushed out well.

I hope he feels better soon!

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7100 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7537 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4774 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (21943 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5427 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7462 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24838 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15711 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19448 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4663 views)