Puppy has diarrhea.

Breed: German SHepard/Lab
i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and the owner told me they have been feeding him blue buffalo chicken and rice puppy formula since 3 months. the problem is that he needs to use the bath every 2 to 3 hours and it is pure diareha everytime with lots of gas. i simply do not have the time to take the dog out every 2 hours like this as i am a busy professional. i also notice that he drinks lots and lots of water all the time so i am thinking he is dehydrated because of all this. he seems to be healthy otherwise. i do not know why he is reacting to the dog food this way if this is what they have been feeding him already. so my question is what do i do? do i change the puppy formula to adult and get another brand and mix with what i already have? i have also been reading that rice or wheat could be to blame so do i get a brand that has none of these with maybe high fiber instead? i have also heard that iams is a good brand to get the stool more solid.

thanks for any advice someone could give as it is getting out of control with feces being spread everywhere in the house and yard with the dog jumping up on people and it has been really hard to deal with so far.

Thanks for an excellent question Chris.

It is definitely not normal for a dog to have to go to the bathroom as often as this.

When a young dog has diarrhea, the first thing I think of is parasites. Has he had proper deworming? If not you can purchase a decent dewormer over the counter. Use it every 2 weeks for 3 treatments. If the problem is due to roundworms then you will likely notice some long skinny worms come out in the stool within a day or two of giving the medicine.

But, there are some parasites that need prescription medicine in order to clear up. These include giardia and coccidia. For this reason, I would highly advise taking a poop sample to your vet and having them run some lab tests to determine if there are other parasites there and then give you the appropriate medication to get rid of them.

With all of that being said, there is a possibility that there is a connection to food. I am currently writing a bunch of articles about some of the misconceptions out there in regards to nutrition. There are so many so called premium foods out there that aren't necessarily any better than others. (You can find my articles here, but I am just starting the series right now - Canine Nutrition Articles. I have seen several dogs on premium foods like Orijen, Fromm and Blue Buffalo that have all kinds of digestive problems. Often when we switch the food they do really well. Yes, Iams is a food I often recommend. (It gets a bad reputation online, but this article explains why. I also like Science Diet and Royal Canin. A puppy formulation of any of these foods will be just fine.

I think changing the food is a good idea, but I have to repeat that I am really suspicious that there is a medical issue here. Parasites are the most likely but there are others. So, feel free to try the dewormer and food change but I would definitely recommend a vet visit. They'll do a fecal exam for parasites and they may dispense some medication called metronidazole which will help with the inflammation in the bowel and also treats other things (such as certain bacteria) which cause diarrhea.

I hope things firm up soon!

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (16428 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (14105 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (40697 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (28154 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (32690 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7484 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (57795 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (36365 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5748 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (68095 views)