Senior cat not eating and losing weight.

Breed: mixed
My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly giving him ice cubes which he likes. He is losing weight.

Sorry to hear that Robyn is having these problems.

I get really concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat, especially an older cat. This almost always means that there is a medical problem.

The most common problem that older cats get is kidney disease. The way to diagnose this is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. There are some things we can do to help animals with kidney disease. However, ultimately there is no cure.

Some types of cancers can cause a lack of appetite and weight loss as well. So can heart disease, but usually this is combined with difficulties in breathing normally.

It is also possible that there is some infection present. Does Robyn go outside? If so, he may have been in a fight with another cat. This can be treated with antibiotics from your vet.

It is really important to have Robyn checked out soon. If a cat goes a few days without eating then they are at risk for getting a serious problem called fatty liver.

Until you can get to the vet you can try heating up some canned food, adding warm water to make canned food soupy or offering small amounts of baby food.

I hope he is ok!

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (128033 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11363 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (13960 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (98714 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (27885 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (51268 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7077 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11552 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6995 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (5706 views)