Senior cat not eating and losing weight.

Breed: mixed
My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly giving him ice cubes which he likes. He is losing weight.

Sorry to hear that Robyn is having these problems.

I get really concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat, especially an older cat. This almost always means that there is a medical problem.

The most common problem that older cats get is kidney disease. The way to diagnose this is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. There are some things we can do to help animals with kidney disease. However, ultimately there is no cure.

Some types of cancers can cause a lack of appetite and weight loss as well. So can heart disease, but usually this is combined with difficulties in breathing normally.

It is also possible that there is some infection present. Does Robyn go outside? If so, he may have been in a fight with another cat. This can be treated with antibiotics from your vet.

It is really important to have Robyn checked out soon. If a cat goes a few days without eating then they are at risk for getting a serious problem called fatty liver.

Until you can get to the vet you can try heating up some canned food, adding warm water to make canned food soupy or offering small amounts of baby food.

I hope he is ok!

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (10273 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (70291 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (59289 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (15720 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8578 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (9761 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8750 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (7333 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (24899 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (76865 views)