Senior cat not eating and losing weight.

Breed: mixed
My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly giving him ice cubes which he likes. He is losing weight.

Sorry to hear that Robyn is having these problems.

I get really concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat, especially an older cat. This almost always means that there is a medical problem.

The most common problem that older cats get is kidney disease. The way to diagnose this is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. There are some things we can do to help animals with kidney disease. However, ultimately there is no cure.

Some types of cancers can cause a lack of appetite and weight loss as well. So can heart disease, but usually this is combined with difficulties in breathing normally.

It is also possible that there is some infection present. Does Robyn go outside? If so, he may have been in a fight with another cat. This can be treated with antibiotics from your vet.

It is really important to have Robyn checked out soon. If a cat goes a few days without eating then they are at risk for getting a serious problem called fatty liver.

Until you can get to the vet you can try heating up some canned food, adding warm water to make canned food soupy or offering small amounts of baby food.

I hope he is ok!

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4484 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29161 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6126 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (14423 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18374 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10225 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15411 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11688 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16023 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12628 views)