Senior cat not eating and losing weight.

Breed: mixed
My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly giving him ice cubes which he likes. He is losing weight.

Sorry to hear that Robyn is having these problems.

I get really concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat, especially an older cat. This almost always means that there is a medical problem.

The most common problem that older cats get is kidney disease. The way to diagnose this is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. There are some things we can do to help animals with kidney disease. However, ultimately there is no cure.

Some types of cancers can cause a lack of appetite and weight loss as well. So can heart disease, but usually this is combined with difficulties in breathing normally.

It is also possible that there is some infection present. Does Robyn go outside? If so, he may have been in a fight with another cat. This can be treated with antibiotics from your vet.

It is really important to have Robyn checked out soon. If a cat goes a few days without eating then they are at risk for getting a serious problem called fatty liver.

Until you can get to the vet you can try heating up some canned food, adding warm water to make canned food soupy or offering small amounts of baby food.

I hope he is ok!

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7513 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9533 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (70560 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9077 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17113 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (7422 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8007 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (6942 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (15218 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (19499 views)