Senior cat not eating and losing weight.

Breed: mixed
My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly giving him ice cubes which he likes. He is losing weight.

Sorry to hear that Robyn is having these problems.

I get really concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat, especially an older cat. This almost always means that there is a medical problem.

The most common problem that older cats get is kidney disease. The way to diagnose this is to have your vet do some blood tests on him. There are some things we can do to help animals with kidney disease. However, ultimately there is no cure.

Some types of cancers can cause a lack of appetite and weight loss as well. So can heart disease, but usually this is combined with difficulties in breathing normally.

It is also possible that there is some infection present. Does Robyn go outside? If so, he may have been in a fight with another cat. This can be treated with antibiotics from your vet.

It is really important to have Robyn checked out soon. If a cat goes a few days without eating then they are at risk for getting a serious problem called fatty liver.

Until you can get to the vet you can try heating up some canned food, adding warm water to make canned food soupy or offering small amounts of baby food.

I hope he is ok!

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5313 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (25015 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21599 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (8982 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12711 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (17008 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13287 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16501 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10084 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8159 views)