Hyperaldosteronism?

Breed: domestic shorthair
My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and low body temp. The vet has done xrays, mri, blood & urine testing and maybe more, repeatedly. Everything comes back normal. No blockage, either. In between she acts her normal self. When this happens she gets a potassium IV, wears her little sweatshirt and sleeps on a heating pad or under a blanket. They have tried changing her food but it happens no matter what she eats. This has been going on for 2 months and her vet is at a loss. Any ideas???

This is a tough question for me to answer consider that your vet has done so many tests and still doesn't have an answer. I feel for you. I have had cases like this where I have done every test in the book and still couldn't find an answer.

Any time I see an older cat that is quite ill and I can't find an answer on bloodwork or xrays I get concerned about cancer. There are some cancers that can be hard to detect. Some possibilities would be a bone marrow cancer, or even more likely, something like intestinal lymphoma.

Another possibility is a condition that is quite rare called hyperaldosteronism. It is a tumor on an adrenal gland of a cat, but it can often be hard to detect even with very good tests. Cats with this condition can become very weak, have low potassium levels and usually have high blood pressure. This condition can sometimes be cured by surgery, or if surgery is not an option then medications to help fight the low potassium and high blood pressure can be very helpful. There are some specific types of blood tests that can be done to determine if Tyger has hyperaldosteronism. It's worthwhile to ask your vet if this is a possibility.

I wish I had more answers for you, but this is all I can think of at this time.

I hope things improve soon!

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (34334 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (9575 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (20391 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (6656 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6636 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (62122 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (9905 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14054 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (12462 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (23605 views)