Milk coming out nose.

Breed: Lhasa apso
Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has milk coming through its nose a week ago i started weaning her on meat which see she vomits up i have had it to the vets a numerous and they just keep saying see how she goes on i havent been told what is wrong with her. She never turns her nose up to food or drink and does have a play, please can you give me any idea has to what it can be or any different food soloutions

The most common reason for a young puppy to have milk coming through its nose is if there is a cleft palate present. This means that there is a defect in the roof of the mouth. It's a little unusual, though for this to just start happening at 4 weeks of age.

It's also possible that the puppy has a congenital defect such as megaesophagus.

It's a tough call on what to do at this point. If no cleft palate can be seen then the vet may consider doing some barium xrays to see what happens when the puppy swallows.

Sorry I don't have an exact answer for you. It does sound like there could be a physical defect somewhere though. If they can figure out what it is it's possible it could be fixed with surgery.

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (7344 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4519 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14056 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10471 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (21991 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (11070 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (19017 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4792 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (100873 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21112 views)