Puppy ate Imodium

Breed: Mix pug/other
We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to induce vomiting? It's been within the last 2 and a half hours.

I saw similar incidents online, but for bigger dogs.

Thanks for your help

TJ

Can you tell me the strength of the Imodium? i.e. how many mg?

I just looked back at my previous answer here and see that most imodium tablets are 2 mg. The toxic dose that could be life threatening is 5mg/kg.

Your dog weighs 6.5lbs which is 3kg. This means that he ingested 2mg/3kg or 0.67 mg/kg.

So, the good news is that this is not a lethal dose.

According to my sources, you can see adverse effects at 0.6 mg per kilogram. The most likely side effect is vomiting and abdominal cramping. There are some dogs that can get weird neurological side effects. This is more common in young dogs.

If it has been two hours, it probably won't be helpful to induce vomiting. Legally I can't advise you on that anyhow. But I would advice you that it would be a good idea to seek out an emergency vet this weekend. There maybe no harm done, but because the potential for risk is there, I think it is worthwhile.

I hope everything is okay!

Marie

Thank you, Dr. Marie!

We'll contact the emergency clinic. I'm so glad to know about this site and the services you provide.

TJ

I'm sure everything will be ok but just because there's some degree of risk it's a good idea to have the little guy checked out.

Hope everything is ok!

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11210 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (69681 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (11951 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (23982 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19285 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (19758 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (17392 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17883 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (11788 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (10590 views)