Puppy ate Imodium

Breed: Mix pug/other
We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to induce vomiting? It's been within the last 2 and a half hours.

I saw similar incidents online, but for bigger dogs.

Thanks for your help

TJ

Can you tell me the strength of the Imodium? i.e. how many mg?

I just looked back at my previous answer here and see that most imodium tablets are 2 mg. The toxic dose that could be life threatening is 5mg/kg.

Your dog weighs 6.5lbs which is 3kg. This means that he ingested 2mg/3kg or 0.67 mg/kg.

So, the good news is that this is not a lethal dose.

According to my sources, you can see adverse effects at 0.6 mg per kilogram. The most likely side effect is vomiting and abdominal cramping. There are some dogs that can get weird neurological side effects. This is more common in young dogs.

If it has been two hours, it probably won't be helpful to induce vomiting. Legally I can't advise you on that anyhow. But I would advice you that it would be a good idea to seek out an emergency vet this weekend. There maybe no harm done, but because the potential for risk is there, I think it is worthwhile.

I hope everything is okay!

Marie

Thank you, Dr. Marie!

We'll contact the emergency clinic. I'm so glad to know about this site and the services you provide.

TJ

I'm sure everything will be ok but just because there's some degree of risk it's a good idea to have the little guy checked out.

Hope everything is ok!

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (20935 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (44362 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (95488 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11088 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19219 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (7843 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (6827 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13319 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10327 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (15845 views)