Puppy ate Imodium

Breed: Mix pug/other
We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to induce vomiting? It's been within the last 2 and a half hours.

I saw similar incidents online, but for bigger dogs.

Thanks for your help

TJ

Can you tell me the strength of the Imodium? i.e. how many mg?

I just looked back at my previous answer here and see that most imodium tablets are 2 mg. The toxic dose that could be life threatening is 5mg/kg.

Your dog weighs 6.5lbs which is 3kg. This means that he ingested 2mg/3kg or 0.67 mg/kg.

So, the good news is that this is not a lethal dose.

According to my sources, you can see adverse effects at 0.6 mg per kilogram. The most likely side effect is vomiting and abdominal cramping. There are some dogs that can get weird neurological side effects. This is more common in young dogs.

If it has been two hours, it probably won't be helpful to induce vomiting. Legally I can't advise you on that anyhow. But I would advice you that it would be a good idea to seek out an emergency vet this weekend. There maybe no harm done, but because the potential for risk is there, I think it is worthwhile.

I hope everything is okay!

Marie

Thank you, Dr. Marie!

We'll contact the emergency clinic. I'm so glad to know about this site and the services you provide.

TJ

I'm sure everything will be ok but just because there's some degree of risk it's a good idea to have the little guy checked out.

Hope everything is ok!

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (7640 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (6970 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (6924 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11098 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23183 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10089 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (9769 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (10530 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (16996 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10405 views)