Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Puppy ate Imodium

Species: Dog
Breed: Mix pug/other
Age: Less than 3 mon
We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to induce vomiting? It's been within the last 2 and a half hours.

I saw similar incidents online, but for bigger dogs.

Thanks for your help

TJ


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Can you tell me the strength of the Imodium? i.e. how many mg?


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I just looked back at my previous answer here and see that most imodium tablets are 2 mg. The toxic dose that could be life threatening is 5mg/kg.

Your dog weighs 6.5lbs which is 3kg. This means that he ingested 2mg/3kg or 0.67 mg/kg.

So, the good news is that this is not a lethal dose.

According to my sources, you can see adverse effects at 0.6 mg per kilogram. The most likely side effect is vomiting and abdominal cramping. There are some dogs that can get weird neurological side effects. This is more common in young dogs.

If it has been two hours, it probably won't be helpful to induce vomiting. Legally I can't advise you on that anyhow. But I would advice you that it would be a good idea to seek out an emergency vet this weekend. There maybe no harm done, but because the potential for risk is there, I think it is worthwhile.

I hope everything is okay!

Marie



Customer reply:

Thank you, Dr. Marie!

We'll contact the emergency clinic. I'm so glad to know about this site and the services you provide.

TJ


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm sure everything will be ok but just because there's some degree of risk it's a good idea to have the little guy checked out.

Hope everything is ok!



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18949 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13033 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (12573 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10300 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7762 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (14327 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10805 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10749 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (12086 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11483 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.