Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8184 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5720 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (30098 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9627 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (38929 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11750 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (15498 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9444 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (8912 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (6948 views)