Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (11734 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (34548 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (34996 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (18284 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (11389 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (9644 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (27768 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (8823 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (36457 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (11098 views)