Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16360 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20599 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (10278 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (8179 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12051 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12847 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (39915 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11106 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11469 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (16206 views)