Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (22213 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (69102 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (9590 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (12913 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (12002 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (10321 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (12905 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (22117 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8724 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (18584 views)