Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (11958 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18181 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7630 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (8551 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8385 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (57452 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (22903 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (42252 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8085 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (11369 views)