Lump on dog.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I realize your answer to this may be a best guess...

But today I noticed a small lump on Max's right side, just fore of the rear hips, and below the lumbar vertebrae (still in the abdominal section).

Its about the size of a pea, almost feels conical, and its hard. When you try to move it it feels like hard rubber when it bounces back.

You cant get underneath it.

Its not present on the left side.

He seems oblivious to me touching it.

Any ideas?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

Has Max been vaccinated recently? What you have described may be something called a vaccine granuloma. The area that you described is a common area for a vaccine. Often the rabies vaccine will be given in this area.

If it is a vaccine granuloma, the vast majority of the time they are gone within a month. In theory one could turn into a cancerous growth but this is really uncommon.

Given that it's not uncomfortable for Max, it's likely ok to keep an eye on it for now.

Oh for heaven's sakes. He had his rabies vaccine I think 10 days ago or so.

I'm struggling to remember but it may have been in that spot.

Thanks

Jay

Sounds like it! So there is likely nothing to worry about. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'd get it checked out.

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (13601 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (8158 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (11492 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (29953 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (13974 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (47456 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11690 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (11996 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (10761 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (9848 views)