Unneutered dog bit child.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr. Marie,

Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or biting. Three months ago we had some friends at our house for a BBQ. There was a female dog in heat there as well. Our Border Collie is not neutered. My friend's 2 year old walked past our dog on the deck and our dog lunged at him an bit his face causing the need for stitches behind his ear and below his eye. The boy is fine today an we are very remorseful about the accident. My question for you is if you would be able to support that when a male, un neutered dog is around a female dog in heat, that he may act uncharacteristically and become more aggressive and territorial. Your help could be the difference between life and death for our dog. And please know that we are taking every step to be sure that this NEVER happens again.
Sincerely,
Shelly Haddon

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened. I think ANY dog has the potential to bite and I never recommend letting a young child stay around dogs unsupervised.

Hormones can definitely cause unwanted behaviors like this. Having ChillyWilly neutered will likely greatly reduce the chance of something like this happening again. But, no one can say for sure.

Don't worry about him being too old to be neutered. As long as his bloodwork is good then he will do just fine with the anesthetic and the surgery.

In addition to having him neutered, it would be a good idea to buy a cage muzzle for him to wear if you have him at a family event like this again.

I hope he does ok!

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (11037 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (39003 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5604 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (12031 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (27527 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7229 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13387 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9048 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (18655 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8253 views)