Unneutered dog bit child.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr. Marie,

Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or biting. Three months ago we had some friends at our house for a BBQ. There was a female dog in heat there as well. Our Border Collie is not neutered. My friend's 2 year old walked past our dog on the deck and our dog lunged at him an bit his face causing the need for stitches behind his ear and below his eye. The boy is fine today an we are very remorseful about the accident. My question for you is if you would be able to support that when a male, un neutered dog is around a female dog in heat, that he may act uncharacteristically and become more aggressive and territorial. Your help could be the difference between life and death for our dog. And please know that we are taking every step to be sure that this NEVER happens again.
Sincerely,
Shelly Haddon

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened. I think ANY dog has the potential to bite and I never recommend letting a young child stay around dogs unsupervised.

Hormones can definitely cause unwanted behaviors like this. Having ChillyWilly neutered will likely greatly reduce the chance of something like this happening again. But, no one can say for sure.

Don't worry about him being too old to be neutered. As long as his bloodwork is good then he will do just fine with the anesthetic and the surgery.

In addition to having him neutered, it would be a good idea to buy a cage muzzle for him to wear if you have him at a family event like this again.

I hope he does ok!

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6607 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6060 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11059 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10312 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9368 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (10782 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (17807 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14008 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (21158 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26686 views)