Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10874 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17588 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20633 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34213 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6412 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13027 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5333 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11285 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (47597 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14250 views)