Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (12163 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12846 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10011 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13829 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18202 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8192 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (16271 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19074 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (55846 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (15295 views)