Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22924 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (90456 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8489 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (25327 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (9299 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11653 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9475 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11526 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15969 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10937 views)