Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13728 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6177 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (38168 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6129 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21574 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19348 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6886 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7285 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11412 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17854 views)