Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (12353 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (9161 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14385 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (9144 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10838 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (11296 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (7417 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (13109 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (11172 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (13840 views)