Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (40183 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (15101 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (54339 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9925 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25949 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19727 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8593 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11425 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14758 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9608 views)