Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (9394 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11078 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (16176 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (11938 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (35761 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (62892 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (10647 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (40135 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (7616 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (8328 views)