Natural allergy remedies.

Breed: Papillon
Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of his life.

Thanks

Allergies can definitely be frustrating. Environmental allergies (grasses, fleas, etc.) are more common than food allergies.

Unfortunately most dogs in my practice that have allergies do need to be on medication regularly. Some need it year round but many with environmental allergies just need medication during the fall and sometimes the spring. I do find that the most effective medication for dogs with allergies is prednisone. Prednisone is safe when given in small doses. Other dogs do well on a drug called either Vanectyl P or Tremaril P which is a combination of steroid and antihistamine.

There are some dogs who do well on antihistamines such as Reactine. (You would need to contact your vet for the dose). However, most dogs with allergies need something stronger.

Omega fatty acids can be a help to animals with allergies.

Another thought, if your dog tends to chew his feet is to keep booties on him when you go out for a walk.

You can also talk to your vet about allergy injections which can be given. These do tend to be expensive though.

I hope this helps!

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (6527 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10565 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6688 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (15870 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (13606 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14318 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13236 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5513 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (3973 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8017 views)