Yellow skin and urine.

Breed: Domestic Short hair
My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was particlarly strong smelling like Ammonia. We first thought she had a bacterial infection & i gave her Clavamox for about 4 days but stopped that when she didn't get better, & had some diahorrea. She has almost stopped eating & drinking and feels hot, her skin has turned yellow, including under her eyelids suggesting she has liver failure (?) She drinks a little water occasionally.
We are in africa and are 4 hours from a vet. She doesn't go outside the house, but she may have eaten a ghecko. Can you help me please?
Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris. I'm so sorry to hear that Sputnik is having these problems. You are definitely seeing signs of jaundice. Jaundice can indicate either a liver problem or a problem with the body breaking down red blood cells.

It is certainly possible that the ghecko was toxic to the liver. It is also possible that there is something serious like cancer affecting the liver. Unfortunately it is often difficult to tell without doing extensive tests such as an ultrasound or liver biopsy.

Some cats can turn jaundiced if they have a blood parasite called hemobartonella. They can get this parasite by having fleas. This is diagnosed by a blood smear and the treatment is an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Another possibility is a condition called fatty liver. This is a condition that can happen if a cat decides not to eat for a while. The liver starts to mobilize fats in order for the cat to be able to survive. Most cats with fatty liver need a feeding tube and IV fluids but I have seen some survive with force feeding small amounts of canned food per day.

I wish I could advise you more specifically but this does sound like a serious problem and she should see a vet. I really hope she does ok!

Thanks for the quick response.
Should i use a dropper to give her water ?
Should i try forcing some food ?
The trip to the vet is fairly rough and takes 4 hours each way - fairly stressful on a sick cat.
If this is the end for her, what will happen? Is she, or will she be in pain. We have a doctor here & i may be able to get Sputnik put to sleep. (Can you tell me what he could use & how much)
Chris

You certainly have a tough situation, not having a vet close by. In a cat of this age, unfortunately the most likely possibility for what is going on is a liver cancer. If this is the case she will eventually go into liver failure and pass away. However, this can take several weeks and can be quite uncomfortable.

While euthanasia is most likely the best option for Sputnik, it is not something that you could do at home. Only licensed veterinarians can administer a drug that could be effective. There are no home medications (i.e. sedatives, etc) that will work to put her to sleep.

If you cannot get her to the vet for euthanasia you certainly can try administering some water and a small amount of canned food by dropper, syringe or forcing. If you find she is vomiting the food then I would not force it upon her.

Again, I wish I could tell you more. You may want to call your vet that is 4 hours away and ask if they can phone a prescription to a pharmacy or a doctor near you for some sedative so that she can make the trip.

Thanks dr Marie
You have confirmed what I thought would be the case. She is 18 & i have had her since she was six weeks, so it's been a very sad day for me. She is a little brighter today; eating & drinking but no output. Her temp seems to go up & down so she must feel awful. Unfortunately i just have to face putting her to sleep.
Thanks again
Chris

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (86725 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (22814 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20473 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (10849 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5101 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (7660 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (11590 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6636 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (111391 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7254 views)