Yellow skin and urine.

Breed: Domestic Short hair
My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was particlarly strong smelling like Ammonia. We first thought she had a bacterial infection & i gave her Clavamox for about 4 days but stopped that when she didn't get better, & had some diahorrea. She has almost stopped eating & drinking and feels hot, her skin has turned yellow, including under her eyelids suggesting she has liver failure (?) She drinks a little water occasionally.
We are in africa and are 4 hours from a vet. She doesn't go outside the house, but she may have eaten a ghecko. Can you help me please?
Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris. I'm so sorry to hear that Sputnik is having these problems. You are definitely seeing signs of jaundice. Jaundice can indicate either a liver problem or a problem with the body breaking down red blood cells.

It is certainly possible that the ghecko was toxic to the liver. It is also possible that there is something serious like cancer affecting the liver. Unfortunately it is often difficult to tell without doing extensive tests such as an ultrasound or liver biopsy.

Some cats can turn jaundiced if they have a blood parasite called hemobartonella. They can get this parasite by having fleas. This is diagnosed by a blood smear and the treatment is an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Another possibility is a condition called fatty liver. This is a condition that can happen if a cat decides not to eat for a while. The liver starts to mobilize fats in order for the cat to be able to survive. Most cats with fatty liver need a feeding tube and IV fluids but I have seen some survive with force feeding small amounts of canned food per day.

I wish I could advise you more specifically but this does sound like a serious problem and she should see a vet. I really hope she does ok!

Thanks for the quick response.
Should i use a dropper to give her water ?
Should i try forcing some food ?
The trip to the vet is fairly rough and takes 4 hours each way - fairly stressful on a sick cat.
If this is the end for her, what will happen? Is she, or will she be in pain. We have a doctor here & i may be able to get Sputnik put to sleep. (Can you tell me what he could use & how much)
Chris

You certainly have a tough situation, not having a vet close by. In a cat of this age, unfortunately the most likely possibility for what is going on is a liver cancer. If this is the case she will eventually go into liver failure and pass away. However, this can take several weeks and can be quite uncomfortable.

While euthanasia is most likely the best option for Sputnik, it is not something that you could do at home. Only licensed veterinarians can administer a drug that could be effective. There are no home medications (i.e. sedatives, etc) that will work to put her to sleep.

If you cannot get her to the vet for euthanasia you certainly can try administering some water and a small amount of canned food by dropper, syringe or forcing. If you find she is vomiting the food then I would not force it upon her.

Again, I wish I could tell you more. You may want to call your vet that is 4 hours away and ask if they can phone a prescription to a pharmacy or a doctor near you for some sedative so that she can make the trip.

Thanks dr Marie
You have confirmed what I thought would be the case. She is 18 & i have had her since she was six weeks, so it's been a very sad day for me. She is a little brighter today; eating & drinking but no output. Her temp seems to go up & down so she must feel awful. Unfortunately i just have to face putting her to sleep.
Thanks again
Chris

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7374 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9089 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5765 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (136760 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (96832 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (12607 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32855 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7470 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54876 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14040 views)