Radiation danger to pets?

Breed: DSH
I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need to stay away from small children for a full week.

Our cat, Norman loves to spend time with me. He sleeps on my lap all day and next to my side in the bed at night.

Is the cat in danger if he spends a lot of time around a person who is having radiation treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through cancer treatment. I really hope all goes well!

This is a tough question to answer with complete certainty because we really don't know how much of an effect this radiation would have on your cat. The reason why you are advised to stay away from small children for a week is because you will be emitting a small amount of radiation. Radiation can be especially damaging to growing tissues.

But the amount of radiation that you will be emitting is not expected to be harmful to an adult. The same should hold true for an adult cat (or dog for that matter).

Chronic exposure to radiation could increase the chances of developing cancer. However, as humans usually live on average 75-80 years and cats will live on average 13-15 years. The chances of developing a cancer because of radiation exposure is much smaller for an animal than for a human.

The biggest concern for spread of radiation is if the animal comes in contact with secretions (urine, feces, sweat).

Here is what I would advise. If you wanted to be absolutely, 100% safe, then it would be best to keep Norman away from you for the week following your treatment. However, if this were my cat I would likely not be concerned as the risk is low. I would discourage him from licking me, however.

I really hope that things go well for you!

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10976 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16811 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6577 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11961 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8026 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11489 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22114 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (13390 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (32653 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19163 views)