Radiation danger to pets?

Breed: DSH
I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need to stay away from small children for a full week.

Our cat, Norman loves to spend time with me. He sleeps on my lap all day and next to my side in the bed at night.

Is the cat in danger if he spends a lot of time around a person who is having radiation treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through cancer treatment. I really hope all goes well!

This is a tough question to answer with complete certainty because we really don't know how much of an effect this radiation would have on your cat. The reason why you are advised to stay away from small children for a week is because you will be emitting a small amount of radiation. Radiation can be especially damaging to growing tissues.

But the amount of radiation that you will be emitting is not expected to be harmful to an adult. The same should hold true for an adult cat (or dog for that matter).

Chronic exposure to radiation could increase the chances of developing cancer. However, as humans usually live on average 75-80 years and cats will live on average 13-15 years. The chances of developing a cancer because of radiation exposure is much smaller for an animal than for a human.

The biggest concern for spread of radiation is if the animal comes in contact with secretions (urine, feces, sweat).

Here is what I would advise. If you wanted to be absolutely, 100% safe, then it would be best to keep Norman away from you for the week following your treatment. However, if this were my cat I would likely not be concerned as the risk is low. I would discourage him from licking me, however.

I really hope that things go well for you!

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9466 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (37334 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6098 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14417 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10657 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14908 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (16564 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12933 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (33882 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19196 views)