Radiation danger to pets?

Breed: DSH
I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need to stay away from small children for a full week.

Our cat, Norman loves to spend time with me. He sleeps on my lap all day and next to my side in the bed at night.

Is the cat in danger if he spends a lot of time around a person who is having radiation treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through cancer treatment. I really hope all goes well!

This is a tough question to answer with complete certainty because we really don't know how much of an effect this radiation would have on your cat. The reason why you are advised to stay away from small children for a week is because you will be emitting a small amount of radiation. Radiation can be especially damaging to growing tissues.

But the amount of radiation that you will be emitting is not expected to be harmful to an adult. The same should hold true for an adult cat (or dog for that matter).

Chronic exposure to radiation could increase the chances of developing cancer. However, as humans usually live on average 75-80 years and cats will live on average 13-15 years. The chances of developing a cancer because of radiation exposure is much smaller for an animal than for a human.

The biggest concern for spread of radiation is if the animal comes in contact with secretions (urine, feces, sweat).

Here is what I would advise. If you wanted to be absolutely, 100% safe, then it would be best to keep Norman away from you for the week following your treatment. However, if this were my cat I would likely not be concerned as the risk is low. I would discourage him from licking me, however.

I really hope that things go well for you!

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (9903 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19454 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (14964 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25157 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24538 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18235 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5359 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8509 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (16797 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (18161 views)