Radiation danger to pets?

Breed: DSH
I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need to stay away from small children for a full week.

Our cat, Norman loves to spend time with me. He sleeps on my lap all day and next to my side in the bed at night.

Is the cat in danger if he spends a lot of time around a person who is having radiation treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go through cancer treatment. I really hope all goes well!

This is a tough question to answer with complete certainty because we really don't know how much of an effect this radiation would have on your cat. The reason why you are advised to stay away from small children for a week is because you will be emitting a small amount of radiation. Radiation can be especially damaging to growing tissues.

But the amount of radiation that you will be emitting is not expected to be harmful to an adult. The same should hold true for an adult cat (or dog for that matter).

Chronic exposure to radiation could increase the chances of developing cancer. However, as humans usually live on average 75-80 years and cats will live on average 13-15 years. The chances of developing a cancer because of radiation exposure is much smaller for an animal than for a human.

The biggest concern for spread of radiation is if the animal comes in contact with secretions (urine, feces, sweat).

Here is what I would advise. If you wanted to be absolutely, 100% safe, then it would be best to keep Norman away from you for the week following your treatment. However, if this were my cat I would likely not be concerned as the risk is low. I would discourage him from licking me, however.

I really hope that things go well for you!

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (9457 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (37763 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (10630 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (37479 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (11726 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (15375 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23429 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (312925 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (23242 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (10634 views)