Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (16456 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44131 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (5450 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15699 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (30930 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12953 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (11432 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9339 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (64591 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7713 views)