Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13498 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (10704 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (18831 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17278 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (17707 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7727 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12710 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4854 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (7835 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12287 views)