Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (8155 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10149 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (142416 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11508 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10826 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13650 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (20196 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (11883 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21843 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7674 views)