Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10879 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9777 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19915 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (15140 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (111124 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11627 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5700 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (77680 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19468 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (58279 views)