Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (8085 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5449 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (37306 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6000 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21408 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19339 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12815 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23552 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12869 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7756 views)