Lump on dog's chest.

Breed: Maltese
My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an inch below his collar, on the front of him,below his neck but just above his legs, and to the right.) The lump is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It doesn't seem to bother him and he seem to be acting normal. It's been there for a couple weeks now. Any ideas of what it is?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Anna

Thanks for your question Anna!

It's always hard to talk about lumps on dogs without being able to see the dog.

The most common reason for dogs to get lumps is because of a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. They are under the skin, moveable and soft and covered with normal fur.

Cancerous lumps usually have the following characteristics:

• Not covered in fur

• Red, purple or just "angry" looking

• Irregular shape

• Hard

There are many other causes of lumps including enlarged lymph nodes, cysts and warts.

Ideally it would probably be a good idea to have your vet take a look!

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (24911 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (60514 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (13193 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (17189 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (9511 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (9772 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (45347 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (10589 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (27859 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (34891 views)