No bowel movements after parvo.

Breed: poodle mix
I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone was sending to a kill shelter that I took in. I was told he was vaccinated but apparently it was not true. I first noticed the symptoms (lost of appetite and not barking) last Tuesday and by Friday he was vomiting and had bloody stool. I took him to a vet who referred me to an emergency facility. He was admitted into the emergency facility on Saturday and received IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication. He was released Monday morning and I took him to my regular vet who told me to take him home and feed him baby food and water. He was seen again today by the vet who removed his catether and again told me to go home and continue with the baby food and water. He said if he throws up too much and is dehydrated to bring him in for a water shot. Wednesday was his first day free of any vomiting. The puppy is drinking on his own and today (Thursday) finally started eating small amounts of baby food on his own. I am also feeding him baby-food and Nutri-Cal to supplement. However he has not has any sort of bowel movement since Monday morning at the emergency hospital. Is this normal? He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is urinating normally. I cant take him back to the vet until Tuesday when I get my unemployment money.

Aw, poor little Quincy. It does sound like he is doing well for a puppy with parvo virus. You're doing a great job!

One of the best signs for recovery from parvo virus is the return of the puppy's appetite. It sounds like Quincy is starting to eat again. And, if he is eating and not vomiting then this really is a great thing.

Now, to answer your question, it actually is very common for a dog to have no bowel movements for a few days after having severe diarrhea. It's like the entire system is "cleaned out". I never worry about a lack of bowel movements unless the dog was straining to poop and nothing was coming out.

It really sounds like Quincy is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to do well!

Feel free to respond if you have more questions!

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (12959 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (14713 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5714 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9569 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (18384 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4663 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (12047 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (9644 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25328 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (11766 views)