No bowel movements after parvo.

Breed: poodle mix
I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone was sending to a kill shelter that I took in. I was told he was vaccinated but apparently it was not true. I first noticed the symptoms (lost of appetite and not barking) last Tuesday and by Friday he was vomiting and had bloody stool. I took him to a vet who referred me to an emergency facility. He was admitted into the emergency facility on Saturday and received IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication. He was released Monday morning and I took him to my regular vet who told me to take him home and feed him baby food and water. He was seen again today by the vet who removed his catether and again told me to go home and continue with the baby food and water. He said if he throws up too much and is dehydrated to bring him in for a water shot. Wednesday was his first day free of any vomiting. The puppy is drinking on his own and today (Thursday) finally started eating small amounts of baby food on his own. I am also feeding him baby-food and Nutri-Cal to supplement. However he has not has any sort of bowel movement since Monday morning at the emergency hospital. Is this normal? He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is urinating normally. I cant take him back to the vet until Tuesday when I get my unemployment money.

Aw, poor little Quincy. It does sound like he is doing well for a puppy with parvo virus. You're doing a great job!

One of the best signs for recovery from parvo virus is the return of the puppy's appetite. It sounds like Quincy is starting to eat again. And, if he is eating and not vomiting then this really is a great thing.

Now, to answer your question, it actually is very common for a dog to have no bowel movements for a few days after having severe diarrhea. It's like the entire system is "cleaned out". I never worry about a lack of bowel movements unless the dog was straining to poop and nothing was coming out.

It really sounds like Quincy is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to do well!

Feel free to respond if you have more questions!

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (16475 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (10348 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (6784 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (8959 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (8832 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (6837 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (7292 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11663 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (20190 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (11392 views)