No bowel movements after parvo.

Breed: poodle mix
I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone was sending to a kill shelter that I took in. I was told he was vaccinated but apparently it was not true. I first noticed the symptoms (lost of appetite and not barking) last Tuesday and by Friday he was vomiting and had bloody stool. I took him to a vet who referred me to an emergency facility. He was admitted into the emergency facility on Saturday and received IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication. He was released Monday morning and I took him to my regular vet who told me to take him home and feed him baby food and water. He was seen again today by the vet who removed his catether and again told me to go home and continue with the baby food and water. He said if he throws up too much and is dehydrated to bring him in for a water shot. Wednesday was his first day free of any vomiting. The puppy is drinking on his own and today (Thursday) finally started eating small amounts of baby food on his own. I am also feeding him baby-food and Nutri-Cal to supplement. However he has not has any sort of bowel movement since Monday morning at the emergency hospital. Is this normal? He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is urinating normally. I cant take him back to the vet until Tuesday when I get my unemployment money.

Aw, poor little Quincy. It does sound like he is doing well for a puppy with parvo virus. You're doing a great job!

One of the best signs for recovery from parvo virus is the return of the puppy's appetite. It sounds like Quincy is starting to eat again. And, if he is eating and not vomiting then this really is a great thing.

Now, to answer your question, it actually is very common for a dog to have no bowel movements for a few days after having severe diarrhea. It's like the entire system is "cleaned out". I never worry about a lack of bowel movements unless the dog was straining to poop and nothing was coming out.

It really sounds like Quincy is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to do well!

Feel free to respond if you have more questions!

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (3530 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (6305 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (8422 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (19624 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (8752 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (19738 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (3417 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (3817 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (11225 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (8059 views)