No bowel movements after parvo.

Breed: poodle mix
I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone was sending to a kill shelter that I took in. I was told he was vaccinated but apparently it was not true. I first noticed the symptoms (lost of appetite and not barking) last Tuesday and by Friday he was vomiting and had bloody stool. I took him to a vet who referred me to an emergency facility. He was admitted into the emergency facility on Saturday and received IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication. He was released Monday morning and I took him to my regular vet who told me to take him home and feed him baby food and water. He was seen again today by the vet who removed his catether and again told me to go home and continue with the baby food and water. He said if he throws up too much and is dehydrated to bring him in for a water shot. Wednesday was his first day free of any vomiting. The puppy is drinking on his own and today (Thursday) finally started eating small amounts of baby food on his own. I am also feeding him baby-food and Nutri-Cal to supplement. However he has not has any sort of bowel movement since Monday morning at the emergency hospital. Is this normal? He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is urinating normally. I cant take him back to the vet until Tuesday when I get my unemployment money.

Aw, poor little Quincy. It does sound like he is doing well for a puppy with parvo virus. You're doing a great job!

One of the best signs for recovery from parvo virus is the return of the puppy's appetite. It sounds like Quincy is starting to eat again. And, if he is eating and not vomiting then this really is a great thing.

Now, to answer your question, it actually is very common for a dog to have no bowel movements for a few days after having severe diarrhea. It's like the entire system is "cleaned out". I never worry about a lack of bowel movements unless the dog was straining to poop and nothing was coming out.

It really sounds like Quincy is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to do well!

Feel free to respond if you have more questions!

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (10173 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (54002 views)

Itchy dog after flea treatment. We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (56251 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (15714 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (7490 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (4063 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (6214 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (8201 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (10117 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (14796 views)