No bowel movements after parvo.

Breed: poodle mix
I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone was sending to a kill shelter that I took in. I was told he was vaccinated but apparently it was not true. I first noticed the symptoms (lost of appetite and not barking) last Tuesday and by Friday he was vomiting and had bloody stool. I took him to a vet who referred me to an emergency facility. He was admitted into the emergency facility on Saturday and received IV fluids, antibiotics, pain medication. He was released Monday morning and I took him to my regular vet who told me to take him home and feed him baby food and water. He was seen again today by the vet who removed his catether and again told me to go home and continue with the baby food and water. He said if he throws up too much and is dehydrated to bring him in for a water shot. Wednesday was his first day free of any vomiting. The puppy is drinking on his own and today (Thursday) finally started eating small amounts of baby food on his own. I am also feeding him baby-food and Nutri-Cal to supplement. However he has not has any sort of bowel movement since Monday morning at the emergency hospital. Is this normal? He doesn't appear to be in any pain and is urinating normally. I cant take him back to the vet until Tuesday when I get my unemployment money.

Aw, poor little Quincy. It does sound like he is doing well for a puppy with parvo virus. You're doing a great job!

One of the best signs for recovery from parvo virus is the return of the puppy's appetite. It sounds like Quincy is starting to eat again. And, if he is eating and not vomiting then this really is a great thing.

Now, to answer your question, it actually is very common for a dog to have no bowel movements for a few days after having severe diarrhea. It's like the entire system is "cleaned out". I never worry about a lack of bowel movements unless the dog was straining to poop and nothing was coming out.

It really sounds like Quincy is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to do well!

Feel free to respond if you have more questions!

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (78526 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (7576 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19283 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8957 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (11274 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31829 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (26412 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8897 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (12123 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (71217 views)