Atropine?

Breed: Yellow/White Short H
I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and med store. My 3 year old, healthy male cat awakened me this morning crying continuously and running around looking anxious and confused. He looked just like the cat I had before that had been poisoned. I ran to the vet store and the woman gave him an injection of Atropine, 1/2 ml. She told me to give him baking soda dissolved in water which I did. He reacted strongly and started chewing and chewing the air. His pupils dilated hugely. He keeps crying and crying and crying. I don't know what else to do. Did the Atropine hurt him? Or has he been poisoned, as I feared, and the symptoms are showing more now? I just gave him 20 ml of an electrolyte/vitamin solution, watered down. He hated it but most of it went in. I have him in a dog kennel so he can't run away.

Oh dear. This is a very tough question to answer over the internet.

While atropine could be an antidote for some types of poisons such as organophosphate poisoning, it's not something that I would regularly give. The dilated pupils are most definitely from atropine and may take a couple of days to go down. I don't know what strength the atropine was, but 1/2 ml could be a very high dose.

Most likely you have not done permanent harm, but I am doubtful that it helped.

If a young cat is suddenly walking around in distress the first thing I worry about is a urinary tract blockage which can be very serious. A poisoning would usually cause just extreme lethargy and lack of appetite (depending on the poison), but it's hard to say for sure.

Unfortunately I can't advise you on what to do as I could think of hundreds of possible causes for his symptoms and each would have its own treatment and most likely that treatment would be something that you could not do at home.

I really hope he makes an improvement soon!

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (96286 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4724 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10692 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (13282 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10319 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9449 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14306 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25684 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11973 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20393 views)