Atropine?

Breed: Yellow/White Short H
I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and med store. My 3 year old, healthy male cat awakened me this morning crying continuously and running around looking anxious and confused. He looked just like the cat I had before that had been poisoned. I ran to the vet store and the woman gave him an injection of Atropine, 1/2 ml. She told me to give him baking soda dissolved in water which I did. He reacted strongly and started chewing and chewing the air. His pupils dilated hugely. He keeps crying and crying and crying. I don't know what else to do. Did the Atropine hurt him? Or has he been poisoned, as I feared, and the symptoms are showing more now? I just gave him 20 ml of an electrolyte/vitamin solution, watered down. He hated it but most of it went in. I have him in a dog kennel so he can't run away.

Oh dear. This is a very tough question to answer over the internet.

While atropine could be an antidote for some types of poisons such as organophosphate poisoning, it's not something that I would regularly give. The dilated pupils are most definitely from atropine and may take a couple of days to go down. I don't know what strength the atropine was, but 1/2 ml could be a very high dose.

Most likely you have not done permanent harm, but I am doubtful that it helped.

If a young cat is suddenly walking around in distress the first thing I worry about is a urinary tract blockage which can be very serious. A poisoning would usually cause just extreme lethargy and lack of appetite (depending on the poison), but it's hard to say for sure.

Unfortunately I can't advise you on what to do as I could think of hundreds of possible causes for his symptoms and each would have its own treatment and most likely that treatment would be something that you could not do at home.

I really hope he makes an improvement soon!

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13615 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5062 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9978 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6392 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7620 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38608 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8356 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7032 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10123 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (68481 views)