Atropine?

Breed: Yellow/White Short H
I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and med store. My 3 year old, healthy male cat awakened me this morning crying continuously and running around looking anxious and confused. He looked just like the cat I had before that had been poisoned. I ran to the vet store and the woman gave him an injection of Atropine, 1/2 ml. She told me to give him baking soda dissolved in water which I did. He reacted strongly and started chewing and chewing the air. His pupils dilated hugely. He keeps crying and crying and crying. I don't know what else to do. Did the Atropine hurt him? Or has he been poisoned, as I feared, and the symptoms are showing more now? I just gave him 20 ml of an electrolyte/vitamin solution, watered down. He hated it but most of it went in. I have him in a dog kennel so he can't run away.

Oh dear. This is a very tough question to answer over the internet.

While atropine could be an antidote for some types of poisons such as organophosphate poisoning, it's not something that I would regularly give. The dilated pupils are most definitely from atropine and may take a couple of days to go down. I don't know what strength the atropine was, but 1/2 ml could be a very high dose.

Most likely you have not done permanent harm, but I am doubtful that it helped.

If a young cat is suddenly walking around in distress the first thing I worry about is a urinary tract blockage which can be very serious. A poisoning would usually cause just extreme lethargy and lack of appetite (depending on the poison), but it's hard to say for sure.

Unfortunately I can't advise you on what to do as I could think of hundreds of possible causes for his symptoms and each would have its own treatment and most likely that treatment would be something that you could not do at home.

I really hope he makes an improvement soon!

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (30528 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (21369 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (9416 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (7591 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (12273 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (15291 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (15039 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (26012 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (38512 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (71050 views)