Vaccinate against parvo?

Breed: border collie mix
Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at our vets. I have two other dogs Tyson a Great Dane /Husky mix 2 yr old and Molly a Miniature Shih Tzu 5yrs old
Haven't kept up with their shots. Molly last in 2007. Tyson we got him at 12 wks had shot till then. In have been getting conflicting advice as to whether to get shot immediately, sme have told me no, might be infected and would be double leopardy, help!!

I'm sorry to hear that Chester has Parvo, but also glad to hear that he is recovering.

The question that you've asked about whether or not to vaccinate the adult dogs that have been exposed to parvo is one that can be a little controversial. You may even find different vets that have different answers to this question.

If this were my case, then yes, I would vaccinate the adults right away. However, if the dogs have already been exposed to parvo the vaccine may not be protective. But, because parvo can persist in the environment for some time, vaccinating now could protect from future infection.

The argument against vaccinating now is usually that the vaccine could stress the immune system further and actually cause the dogs to be more susceptible. I do not believe that this is true. In my opinion, if they've already got parvo, then vaccinating won't make it any worse.

The good news is that adult dogs are less susceptible to parvo than puppies are. Also, even though the vaccines are overdue, the previous vaccines may still have some effect.

I hope everyone does ok!

Thank you Dr Marie, Ill get them done today. I'm hoping against hope that as they haven't shown any symptoms they will be OK. but ill be watching them like a hawk for 2-3 weeks. do I have to separate Chester from the other dogs when he comes home

That's a tough call. It's probably not a bad idea to keep them separated for a few weeks as the puppy could have virus particles sticking to him. But in reality, the majority of the virus is in vomit and diarrhea which means that the biggest concern is any vomit or diarrhea that was already in the environment. Where possible, clean everything with bleach.

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6207 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8199 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6381 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (23622 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6508 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8130 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7036 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6282 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7671 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8751 views)