Vaccinate against parvo?

Breed: border collie mix
Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at our vets. I have two other dogs Tyson a Great Dane /Husky mix 2 yr old and Molly a Miniature Shih Tzu 5yrs old
Haven't kept up with their shots. Molly last in 2007. Tyson we got him at 12 wks had shot till then. In have been getting conflicting advice as to whether to get shot immediately, sme have told me no, might be infected and would be double leopardy, help!!

I'm sorry to hear that Chester has Parvo, but also glad to hear that he is recovering.

The question that you've asked about whether or not to vaccinate the adult dogs that have been exposed to parvo is one that can be a little controversial. You may even find different vets that have different answers to this question.

If this were my case, then yes, I would vaccinate the adults right away. However, if the dogs have already been exposed to parvo the vaccine may not be protective. But, because parvo can persist in the environment for some time, vaccinating now could protect from future infection.

The argument against vaccinating now is usually that the vaccine could stress the immune system further and actually cause the dogs to be more susceptible. I do not believe that this is true. In my opinion, if they've already got parvo, then vaccinating won't make it any worse.

The good news is that adult dogs are less susceptible to parvo than puppies are. Also, even though the vaccines are overdue, the previous vaccines may still have some effect.

I hope everyone does ok!

Thank you Dr Marie, Ill get them done today. I'm hoping against hope that as they haven't shown any symptoms they will be OK. but ill be watching them like a hawk for 2-3 weeks. do I have to separate Chester from the other dogs when he comes home

That's a tough call. It's probably not a bad idea to keep them separated for a few weeks as the puppy could have virus particles sticking to him. But in reality, the majority of the virus is in vomit and diarrhea which means that the biggest concern is any vomit or diarrhea that was already in the environment. Where possible, clean everything with bleach.

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (10485 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (20743 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5075 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6483 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (10835 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (166229 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (17514 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9862 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (24899 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6883 views)