Vaccinate against parvo?

Breed: border collie mix
Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at our vets. I have two other dogs Tyson a Great Dane /Husky mix 2 yr old and Molly a Miniature Shih Tzu 5yrs old
Haven't kept up with their shots. Molly last in 2007. Tyson we got him at 12 wks had shot till then. In have been getting conflicting advice as to whether to get shot immediately, sme have told me no, might be infected and would be double leopardy, help!!

I'm sorry to hear that Chester has Parvo, but also glad to hear that he is recovering.

The question that you've asked about whether or not to vaccinate the adult dogs that have been exposed to parvo is one that can be a little controversial. You may even find different vets that have different answers to this question.

If this were my case, then yes, I would vaccinate the adults right away. However, if the dogs have already been exposed to parvo the vaccine may not be protective. But, because parvo can persist in the environment for some time, vaccinating now could protect from future infection.

The argument against vaccinating now is usually that the vaccine could stress the immune system further and actually cause the dogs to be more susceptible. I do not believe that this is true. In my opinion, if they've already got parvo, then vaccinating won't make it any worse.

The good news is that adult dogs are less susceptible to parvo than puppies are. Also, even though the vaccines are overdue, the previous vaccines may still have some effect.

I hope everyone does ok!

Thank you Dr Marie, Ill get them done today. I'm hoping against hope that as they haven't shown any symptoms they will be OK. but ill be watching them like a hawk for 2-3 weeks. do I have to separate Chester from the other dogs when he comes home

That's a tough call. It's probably not a bad idea to keep them separated for a few weeks as the puppy could have virus particles sticking to him. But in reality, the majority of the virus is in vomit and diarrhea which means that the biggest concern is any vomit or diarrhea that was already in the environment. Where possible, clean everything with bleach.

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6591 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (18556 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (7442 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (10725 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7275 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (21424 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7362 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (18910 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (10695 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (21076 views)