Infected spay incision?

Breed: Maltese/Yorkie
My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing properly. She's very energetic and I haven't been able to keep her from running around and jumping. It looks like a couple of stitches have bled a little but I'm worried they may be infected. I took a picture so you could see. Do you think I should take her back to the vet?

Thanks for sending me the photo of Lexie's incision:

infected spay incision?

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. But I'll show you a few things that you can look for to help you to decide whether she needs to see the vet again.

The first thing I see is that there is a big bulge under the incision. This can be normal. Sometimes there can be a lot of swelling in this area. I think that this is often because of a reaction to sutures.

If you push on the bulge can you make it disappear into her body? If so, then this means that some of the important inner sutures have come undone and yes, she needs to go back and see the vet. She may have an incisional hernia and need to have it repaired.

If the bulge doesn't disappear, is it painful when you push on it? If she is very uncomfortable when you are touching the area then this could be a sign of infection.

It does look like there is a little bit of redness around some of the edges of the incision. If the red area is spreading or if the incision is coming apart more than it is in the picture then I would take her back in for a check.

Also, is she licking at it much? If it is infected she will likely lick at it a lot.

I hope everything works out ok!

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11452 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (8270 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (13475 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11851 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (7643 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6335 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9907 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (24892 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (11805 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (9143 views)