Infected spay incision?

Breed: Maltese/Yorkie
My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing properly. She's very energetic and I haven't been able to keep her from running around and jumping. It looks like a couple of stitches have bled a little but I'm worried they may be infected. I took a picture so you could see. Do you think I should take her back to the vet?

Thanks for sending me the photo of Lexie's incision:

infected spay incision?

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. But I'll show you a few things that you can look for to help you to decide whether she needs to see the vet again.

The first thing I see is that there is a big bulge under the incision. This can be normal. Sometimes there can be a lot of swelling in this area. I think that this is often because of a reaction to sutures.

If you push on the bulge can you make it disappear into her body? If so, then this means that some of the important inner sutures have come undone and yes, she needs to go back and see the vet. She may have an incisional hernia and need to have it repaired.

If the bulge doesn't disappear, is it painful when you push on it? If she is very uncomfortable when you are touching the area then this could be a sign of infection.

It does look like there is a little bit of redness around some of the edges of the incision. If the red area is spreading or if the incision is coming apart more than it is in the picture then I would take her back in for a check.

Also, is she licking at it much? If it is infected she will likely lick at it a lot.

I hope everything works out ok!

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (193666 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24287 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (19769 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16564 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (176503 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29083 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (32368 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10403 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16261 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17712 views)