Infected spay incision?

Breed: Maltese/Yorkie
My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing properly. She's very energetic and I haven't been able to keep her from running around and jumping. It looks like a couple of stitches have bled a little but I'm worried they may be infected. I took a picture so you could see. Do you think I should take her back to the vet?

Thanks for sending me the photo of Lexie's incision:

infected spay incision?

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. But I'll show you a few things that you can look for to help you to decide whether she needs to see the vet again.

The first thing I see is that there is a big bulge under the incision. This can be normal. Sometimes there can be a lot of swelling in this area. I think that this is often because of a reaction to sutures.

If you push on the bulge can you make it disappear into her body? If so, then this means that some of the important inner sutures have come undone and yes, she needs to go back and see the vet. She may have an incisional hernia and need to have it repaired.

If the bulge doesn't disappear, is it painful when you push on it? If she is very uncomfortable when you are touching the area then this could be a sign of infection.

It does look like there is a little bit of redness around some of the edges of the incision. If the red area is spreading or if the incision is coming apart more than it is in the picture then I would take her back in for a check.

Also, is she licking at it much? If it is infected she will likely lick at it a lot.

I hope everything works out ok!

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (8308 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12071 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9610 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5530 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10702 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6046 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (16651 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (26985 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6801 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5680 views)