Infected spay incision?

Breed: Maltese/Yorkie
My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing properly. She's very energetic and I haven't been able to keep her from running around and jumping. It looks like a couple of stitches have bled a little but I'm worried they may be infected. I took a picture so you could see. Do you think I should take her back to the vet?

Thanks for sending me the photo of Lexie's incision:

infected spay incision?

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. But I'll show you a few things that you can look for to help you to decide whether she needs to see the vet again.

The first thing I see is that there is a big bulge under the incision. This can be normal. Sometimes there can be a lot of swelling in this area. I think that this is often because of a reaction to sutures.

If you push on the bulge can you make it disappear into her body? If so, then this means that some of the important inner sutures have come undone and yes, she needs to go back and see the vet. She may have an incisional hernia and need to have it repaired.

If the bulge doesn't disappear, is it painful when you push on it? If she is very uncomfortable when you are touching the area then this could be a sign of infection.

It does look like there is a little bit of redness around some of the edges of the incision. If the red area is spreading or if the incision is coming apart more than it is in the picture then I would take her back in for a check.

Also, is she licking at it much? If it is infected she will likely lick at it a lot.

I hope everything works out ok!

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10474 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (9475 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10362 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12333 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (5662 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8760 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11286 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13446 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8706 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10161 views)