Infected spay incision?

Breed: Maltese/Yorkie
My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing properly. She's very energetic and I haven't been able to keep her from running around and jumping. It looks like a couple of stitches have bled a little but I'm worried they may be infected. I took a picture so you could see. Do you think I should take her back to the vet?

Thanks for sending me the photo of Lexie's incision:

infected spay incision?

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. But I'll show you a few things that you can look for to help you to decide whether she needs to see the vet again.

The first thing I see is that there is a big bulge under the incision. This can be normal. Sometimes there can be a lot of swelling in this area. I think that this is often because of a reaction to sutures.

If you push on the bulge can you make it disappear into her body? If so, then this means that some of the important inner sutures have come undone and yes, she needs to go back and see the vet. She may have an incisional hernia and need to have it repaired.

If the bulge doesn't disappear, is it painful when you push on it? If she is very uncomfortable when you are touching the area then this could be a sign of infection.

It does look like there is a little bit of redness around some of the edges of the incision. If the red area is spreading or if the incision is coming apart more than it is in the picture then I would take her back in for a check.

Also, is she licking at it much? If it is infected she will likely lick at it a lot.

I hope everything works out ok!

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (8841 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (13646 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (12821 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (10063 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (26797 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14778 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (13946 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (31116 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (8513 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (42900 views)