Robaxin and Metacam.

Breed: Japanese Chin
Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now.
He's had this problem before and was always given
Deramaxx which worked very well but made him a little hyper. this time he was given metacam and robaxin-v. The metacam seems to work if I give him just that. The robaxin-v also works but not for long if I only give him that and not the metacam.Is it safe to give him the robaxin and give him the metacam about 4 hours later?. The instructions on both bottles only say to give as needed. Both medications seem to make him drowsy.

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having back problems!

It is definitely safe to give Metacam and Robaxin at the same time. Be sure though that the Robaxin is actually Robaxin and not Robaxacet or Robaxacin as the last two drugs have medications in them that would interfere with Metacam.

Metacam should not cause a dog to be drowsy, but Robaxin certainly can.

Any time a dog has back pain that is not going away it is a good idea to have the vet take another look. If there is a serious problem such as a bulging disc Rocky might need to have surgery.

But, to answer your main question, I commonly will prescribe both Metacam and Robaxin together.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes it is robaxin-v, I checked the bottle. He was feeling much better until he tried to climb the stairs this morning. It seems as though he's getting muscle spasms. they go away after a half hour or so. Could it be a bulging disc?

This certainly could be muscle spasms. If it is coming and going it is unlikely to be a problem requiring surgery. (But keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis without seeing Rocky).

If this is due to muscle spasms then the Robaxin will help. But certainly if there is no improvement by after the weekend then he should see his vet.

The other concern would be if you see him dragging the tops of his back feet on the ground. This would indicate serious nerve damage and he should see an emergency vet.

The other thing I would recommend is to keep him as quiet as possible, which means no stairs or jumping until he is 100% better.

Thank you Dr. Marie. I've been trying to keep him quiet but we have another chin, TJ, who is the love of his life. So when he feels better he wants to romp and play with her. I wish I could crate him for a few weeks but he refuses to go into it, so I"ve been keeping him downstairs with me. I will call his vet on Monday if he isn't better. Thank you again.
Lana Belfiore

Thanks so much for the generous bonus! Hope all goes well. Feel free to post another response if you need to over the weekend.

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19075 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (4873 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10324 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4077 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (20483 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13126 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9561 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (7779 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17045 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5676 views)