Robaxin and Metacam.

Breed: Japanese Chin
Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now.
He's had this problem before and was always given
Deramaxx which worked very well but made him a little hyper. this time he was given metacam and robaxin-v. The metacam seems to work if I give him just that. The robaxin-v also works but not for long if I only give him that and not the metacam.Is it safe to give him the robaxin and give him the metacam about 4 hours later?. The instructions on both bottles only say to give as needed. Both medications seem to make him drowsy.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having back problems!

It is definitely safe to give Metacam and Robaxin at the same time. Be sure though that the Robaxin is actually Robaxin and not Robaxacet or Robaxacin as the last two drugs have medications in them that would interfere with Metacam.

Metacam should not cause a dog to be drowsy, but Robaxin certainly can.

Any time a dog has back pain that is not going away it is a good idea to have the vet take another look. If there is a serious problem such as a bulging disc Rocky might need to have surgery.

But, to answer your main question, I commonly will prescribe both Metacam and Robaxin together.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes it is robaxin-v, I checked the bottle. He was feeling much better until he tried to climb the stairs this morning. It seems as though he's getting muscle spasms. they go away after a half hour or so. Could it be a bulging disc?

This certainly could be muscle spasms. If it is coming and going it is unlikely to be a problem requiring surgery. (But keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis without seeing Rocky).

If this is due to muscle spasms then the Robaxin will help. But certainly if there is no improvement by after the weekend then he should see his vet.

The other concern would be if you see him dragging the tops of his back feet on the ground. This would indicate serious nerve damage and he should see an emergency vet.

The other thing I would recommend is to keep him as quiet as possible, which means no stairs or jumping until he is 100% better.

Thank you Dr. Marie. I've been trying to keep him quiet but we have another chin, TJ, who is the love of his life. So when he feels better he wants to romp and play with her. I wish I could crate him for a few weeks but he refuses to go into it, so I"ve been keeping him downstairs with me. I will call his vet on Monday if he isn't better. Thank you again.
Lana Belfiore

Thanks so much for the generous bonus! Hope all goes well. Feel free to post another response if you need to over the weekend.

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (2947 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (5265 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (2289 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (6861 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (5764 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (4153 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (6508 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (2963 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (5154 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (27186 views)