Robaxin and Metacam.

Breed: Japanese Chin
Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now.
He's had this problem before and was always given
Deramaxx which worked very well but made him a little hyper. this time he was given metacam and robaxin-v. The metacam seems to work if I give him just that. The robaxin-v also works but not for long if I only give him that and not the metacam.Is it safe to give him the robaxin and give him the metacam about 4 hours later?. The instructions on both bottles only say to give as needed. Both medications seem to make him drowsy.

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having back problems!

It is definitely safe to give Metacam and Robaxin at the same time. Be sure though that the Robaxin is actually Robaxin and not Robaxacet or Robaxacin as the last two drugs have medications in them that would interfere with Metacam.

Metacam should not cause a dog to be drowsy, but Robaxin certainly can.

Any time a dog has back pain that is not going away it is a good idea to have the vet take another look. If there is a serious problem such as a bulging disc Rocky might need to have surgery.

But, to answer your main question, I commonly will prescribe both Metacam and Robaxin together.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes it is robaxin-v, I checked the bottle. He was feeling much better until he tried to climb the stairs this morning. It seems as though he's getting muscle spasms. they go away after a half hour or so. Could it be a bulging disc?

This certainly could be muscle spasms. If it is coming and going it is unlikely to be a problem requiring surgery. (But keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis without seeing Rocky).

If this is due to muscle spasms then the Robaxin will help. But certainly if there is no improvement by after the weekend then he should see his vet.

The other concern would be if you see him dragging the tops of his back feet on the ground. This would indicate serious nerve damage and he should see an emergency vet.

The other thing I would recommend is to keep him as quiet as possible, which means no stairs or jumping until he is 100% better.

Thank you Dr. Marie. I've been trying to keep him quiet but we have another chin, TJ, who is the love of his life. So when he feels better he wants to romp and play with her. I wish I could crate him for a few weeks but he refuses to go into it, so I"ve been keeping him downstairs with me. I will call his vet on Monday if he isn't better. Thank you again.
Lana Belfiore

Thanks so much for the generous bonus! Hope all goes well. Feel free to post another response if you need to over the weekend.

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21661 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (55936 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9395 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38951 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (19355 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7931 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15976 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8130 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9236 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6922 views)