Robaxin and Metacam.

Breed: Japanese Chin
Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now.
He's had this problem before and was always given
Deramaxx which worked very well but made him a little hyper. this time he was given metacam and robaxin-v. The metacam seems to work if I give him just that. The robaxin-v also works but not for long if I only give him that and not the metacam.Is it safe to give him the robaxin and give him the metacam about 4 hours later?. The instructions on both bottles only say to give as needed. Both medications seem to make him drowsy.

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having back problems!

It is definitely safe to give Metacam and Robaxin at the same time. Be sure though that the Robaxin is actually Robaxin and not Robaxacet or Robaxacin as the last two drugs have medications in them that would interfere with Metacam.

Metacam should not cause a dog to be drowsy, but Robaxin certainly can.

Any time a dog has back pain that is not going away it is a good idea to have the vet take another look. If there is a serious problem such as a bulging disc Rocky might need to have surgery.

But, to answer your main question, I commonly will prescribe both Metacam and Robaxin together.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes it is robaxin-v, I checked the bottle. He was feeling much better until he tried to climb the stairs this morning. It seems as though he's getting muscle spasms. they go away after a half hour or so. Could it be a bulging disc?

This certainly could be muscle spasms. If it is coming and going it is unlikely to be a problem requiring surgery. (But keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis without seeing Rocky).

If this is due to muscle spasms then the Robaxin will help. But certainly if there is no improvement by after the weekend then he should see his vet.

The other concern would be if you see him dragging the tops of his back feet on the ground. This would indicate serious nerve damage and he should see an emergency vet.

The other thing I would recommend is to keep him as quiet as possible, which means no stairs or jumping until he is 100% better.

Thank you Dr. Marie. I've been trying to keep him quiet but we have another chin, TJ, who is the love of his life. So when he feels better he wants to romp and play with her. I wish I could crate him for a few weeks but he refuses to go into it, so I"ve been keeping him downstairs with me. I will call his vet on Monday if he isn't better. Thank you again.
Lana Belfiore

Thanks so much for the generous bonus! Hope all goes well. Feel free to post another response if you need to over the weekend.

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (6360 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9961 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10529 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6511 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (80149 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32609 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11206 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5430 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (91344 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11234 views)