Is FHO a good idea?

Breed: mix breed 35kg
my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief medication is no longer effective. it has been suggested by our vet that a femoral head ostectomy is the next stage. we are concerned that at his age the trauma of the procedure outweighs any benefit he would receive.(a hip replacement op has also been suggested but as pensioners the cost of this is outside of our finances)
your comments would be much appreciated

These are always very tough decisions!

I do find that most dogs recover extremely quickly from a femoral head ostectomy (FHO). When this surgery is done, the head of the femur is removed. This removes the part of the bone that is sitting in the hip joint. The result is that there is no bone rubbing on bone in the hip joint and pain is greatly reduced. You would think that dogs would have a hard time walking with no intact hip joint but they almost always do extremely well.

You may want to ask your vet to look into a new procedure called hip denervation. Our orthopedic surgeon has been doing this and it is a great surgery for older dogs with hip problems. What he does is he goes into the hip joint and scrapes off the nerve endings in the joint capsule. There are almost no side effects and the recovery time is fast. I have been recommending this for my older patients with hip dysplasia.

I hope everything goes ok!

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (38258 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (47728 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (16545 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (9498 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (9796 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (9592 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (7183 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (26219 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (6692 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (9903 views)