Is FHO a good idea?

Breed: mix breed 35kg
my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief medication is no longer effective. it has been suggested by our vet that a femoral head ostectomy is the next stage. we are concerned that at his age the trauma of the procedure outweighs any benefit he would receive.(a hip replacement op has also been suggested but as pensioners the cost of this is outside of our finances)
your comments would be much appreciated

These are always very tough decisions!

I do find that most dogs recover extremely quickly from a femoral head ostectomy (FHO). When this surgery is done, the head of the femur is removed. This removes the part of the bone that is sitting in the hip joint. The result is that there is no bone rubbing on bone in the hip joint and pain is greatly reduced. You would think that dogs would have a hard time walking with no intact hip joint but they almost always do extremely well.

You may want to ask your vet to look into a new procedure called hip denervation. Our orthopedic surgeon has been doing this and it is a great surgery for older dogs with hip problems. What he does is he goes into the hip joint and scrapes off the nerve endings in the joint capsule. There are almost no side effects and the recovery time is fast. I have been recommending this for my older patients with hip dysplasia.

I hope everything goes ok!

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (12917 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (13681 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (10763 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (18272 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (10562 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (6937 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (7957 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (10744 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (31943 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (8258 views)