Missing patches of hair.

Breed: chocolate lab
I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed little patches of hair missing from his legs and face. Some of the spots almost look like calluses but when I noticed a flake of skin coming off I pulled it and it began to bleed, a lot.
I am wondering if it would possibly be demodectic mange. The previous owners also told me that he had swimmers ear but when I got him home it was in fact ear mites so I started treating him for those. is possible for ear mites to get bad enough to effect the face and legs?
Remmington will be going to his new vet in about 2 weeks from now.

This certainly could be demodex. Demodex is really easy for a vet to diagnose with a skin scraping. Some mild cases of demodex go away on their own, but if this is generalized demodex then it can be a very serious lifelong condition.

It's probably not because of the ear mites.

It's also possible that it is a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case he'll need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Or, it could be ringworm which is a fungal infection. But, this is less likely.

In either case it sounds like a vet visit is necessary!

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (12886 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (7391 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (11724 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (16095 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9538 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (7529 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (10326 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7089 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (10608 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (32443 views)