Missing patches of hair.

Breed: chocolate lab
I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed little patches of hair missing from his legs and face. Some of the spots almost look like calluses but when I noticed a flake of skin coming off I pulled it and it began to bleed, a lot.
I am wondering if it would possibly be demodectic mange. The previous owners also told me that he had swimmers ear but when I got him home it was in fact ear mites so I started treating him for those. is possible for ear mites to get bad enough to effect the face and legs?
Remmington will be going to his new vet in about 2 weeks from now.

This certainly could be demodex. Demodex is really easy for a vet to diagnose with a skin scraping. Some mild cases of demodex go away on their own, but if this is generalized demodex then it can be a very serious lifelong condition.

It's probably not because of the ear mites.

It's also possible that it is a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case he'll need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Or, it could be ringworm which is a fungal infection. But, this is less likely.

In either case it sounds like a vet visit is necessary!

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17271 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (30593 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6807 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5770 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11094 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22238 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (12049 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6993 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7668 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7466 views)