Missing patches of hair.

Breed: chocolate lab
I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed little patches of hair missing from his legs and face. Some of the spots almost look like calluses but when I noticed a flake of skin coming off I pulled it and it began to bleed, a lot.
I am wondering if it would possibly be demodectic mange. The previous owners also told me that he had swimmers ear but when I got him home it was in fact ear mites so I started treating him for those. is possible for ear mites to get bad enough to effect the face and legs?
Remmington will be going to his new vet in about 2 weeks from now.

This certainly could be demodex. Demodex is really easy for a vet to diagnose with a skin scraping. Some mild cases of demodex go away on their own, but if this is generalized demodex then it can be a very serious lifelong condition.

It's probably not because of the ear mites.

It's also possible that it is a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case he'll need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Or, it could be ringworm which is a fungal infection. But, this is less likely.

In either case it sounds like a vet visit is necessary!

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (8277 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (201106 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (14091 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (8143 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (12668 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (17733 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (12292 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (11451 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (14706 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (24322 views)