Missing patches of hair.

Breed: chocolate lab
I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed little patches of hair missing from his legs and face. Some of the spots almost look like calluses but when I noticed a flake of skin coming off I pulled it and it began to bleed, a lot.
I am wondering if it would possibly be demodectic mange. The previous owners also told me that he had swimmers ear but when I got him home it was in fact ear mites so I started treating him for those. is possible for ear mites to get bad enough to effect the face and legs?
Remmington will be going to his new vet in about 2 weeks from now.

This certainly could be demodex. Demodex is really easy for a vet to diagnose with a skin scraping. Some mild cases of demodex go away on their own, but if this is generalized demodex then it can be a very serious lifelong condition.

It's probably not because of the ear mites.

It's also possible that it is a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case he'll need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Or, it could be ringworm which is a fungal infection. But, this is less likely.

In either case it sounds like a vet visit is necessary!

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (19842 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (31845 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (7747 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (12508 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (38002 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (13962 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (10599 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (10347 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (36960 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (11084 views)