Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting?

Species: Dog
Breed: Dauchshaund
Age: 6-12 months
I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up but he never did. after about 45 minutes i gave him three small chunks of pinneaple and still nothing. is he ok..please help i am concerned i have done more harm then good.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm afraid I don't have enough information to fully answer your question. I'm not sure why you are trying to make him vomit.

If you are asking whether the hydrogen peroxide is harmful, the answer is likely no. There is a small risk involved with giving peroxide where it can cause a stomach ulcer if too much is given.

Similarly, if a dog were to aspirate hydrogen peroxide (i.e. inhale it into their lungs) it can cause some serious problems.

Because of these risks I usually don't recommend giving peroxide unless we know that a dog has eaten something dangerous and we need to get it out right away. However, a better alternative is to have your vet induce vomiting with safer medications.

If there was aspiration into the lungs you would likely know right away as there would be breathing problems. If there was stomach ulceration then you may see black tarry stools, vomiting (sometimes coffee grounds color) and lethargy.

You did not mention why you were trying to make him vomit, so if you think he may have eaten something harmful I would highly advise a vet visit.

I hope he is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (15753 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (31598 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10542 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (28300 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (6913 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8203 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10514 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13592 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (8999 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7410 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.