Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (22268 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5056 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9340 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10685 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8634 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8410 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14146 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24491 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22768 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (14199 views)