Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9702 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (77508 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10919 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8686 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (128361 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12336 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (10078 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7692 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13053 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11139 views)