Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (13160 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (8018 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (12100 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (13384 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (54192 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (8641 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (23260 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (83583 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (15296 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (204577 views)