Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7151 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (45565 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15095 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (15144 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (8691 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17439 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (13251 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33182 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (10764 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10758 views)