Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (41659 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27376 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8136 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (18797 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (21540 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48276 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6401 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11927 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5023 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6699 views)