Dog is going blind.

Breed: black Lab
Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,, he is 4 year old and is 84lb.we picked him up as a stray about a year ago, Please help ....

I'm sorry to hear that Blacky is going blind. It will be hard to say for certain what is causing the blindness but I can give you a few ideas.

Are you seeing that his eyes look blue and the lense looks dense/opaque? If so, then you may be seeing cataracts. The most common reason for cataracts in a young dog is diabetes. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

If you can't see cataracts but you feel that Blacky's vision is slowly getting worse another possibility is a condition called PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). This is a genetic condition where the blood vessels at the back of the eye slowly disappear. Usually people notice vision is worse at night time and then eventually it gets worse in the day as well. Unfortunately there is no cure for PRA.

If you are seeing something unusual on or in Blackie's eye then I would highly advise a vet visit. There are a number of conditions such as Pannus that are treatable if we get to them soon enough.

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (23550 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9320 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (15785 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (6899 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6539 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38600 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (60003 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (7014 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5074 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (138886 views)