Is my Golden hypothryoid?

Breed: Golden Retreiver
We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie. Over the past 12 months she has remained stable, even on a custom made BARF diet which only gives her 3 table spoons of food a day.

Recently had a T4 FREE thyroid test done. Her result was 14. Vet is saying the normal range is 10 to 45. Vet is saying that the results are normal even though all our research indicates it is very low and she would benefit from the thyroid medication.

We are so worried about her, we just need to move another 3-4 kilos off her and want to be able to start feeding her normally again.

What should we do?

Good for you, trying to get weight off of your dog! I have seen so many Goldens that are overweight!

I would agree with your vet that a free T4 level of 14 is not one that I would treat with thyroid medicine. Has your vet done a thyroid profile though? I have seen some dogs who had free T4 levels in the low end of the normal range (like your dog), but when we did a profile we found that there were other changes that made us think that the dog actually was hypothyroid. The profile will also look at her T3 level and TSH and a few other things.

If a dog is not hypothyroid and we put them on thyroid medicine we can be setting them up for some health problems such as high blood pressure and heart disease.

You can also talk to your vet about trying a diet called "Satiety". It is a prescription diet made by Royal Canin. In my clinic my technicians run an excellent weight loss program where they help people get weight off of their dogs. One of the best things that they have found to work is Satiety diet. This food helps to keep the animals feeling full but really helps to lower their weight.

I'm sure you've looked at other factors such as increasing exercise and cutting out treats as well.

I hope that helps!

Hi Dr Marie,

We have noticed things like the white glaze over her eyes etc... and told the vet about this but he did not even look at it, just said it was common in older dogs.

We had her on the Hills Science Diet R&D only getting 2 cups a day, and she put on 2kg in 2 weeks.

We walk her 3 times a day, as well as a big run at the golf course and she never gets anything except her food as we are desperate to releive her joints as much as possible and get the weight perfect.

We are at a loss at what to do next and very frustrated and worried.

Thanks
Tinneika

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.

I'm assuming the "white glaze" you are talking about are little white dots on each of her eyes? This can be caused by calcium deposits or lipid (fat deposits). While it is true that dogs with hypothryoidism are more likely to have fat deposits in their eyes, many healthy dogs have them as well.

Has she had the thryoid profile done?

The Satiety diet is different than r/d. I have seen many dogs that could not lose weight on r/d or other weight loss diets do really well on Satiety.

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (26081 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (21911 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6044 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (12458 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (5347 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (25150 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (17183 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5043 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (42226 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (25554 views)