Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema.

Breed: pinscher
Hello Dr. Marie,

I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor english.
Well, I have a 11 years old female pinscher that about one month ago, started coughing a lot suddenly and had syncopes too. She was breathing with so much dificulty. I took her to a veterinary and with the check-up the veterinary sad that she has a heart desease(mitral valve)and had a pulmonar edema. She has a little bit of hyphothyroidism too.
I´d like to know Dr Marie, with honesty, how many time my little dog is going to live, considering that I have been searching in websites of canine cardiology and some of them claim that after the first pulmonar edema, the desease is developed and the dogs have a very short time of life. In many cases about 6 months till 1 year of life only. I just would like to know if this affirmation is true. I´d be thankful if you could answer me.
Thank you.

Thanks for your question. Your English is just fine!

The textbooks will tell us that if a dog with heart disease develops pulmonary edema that they will not live long. When I first graduated from vet school I would tell people this a lot.

However, as I got more experienced I found that this is not always the case! I have many dogs in my practice that have lived 6 months or even 1-2 years with significant heart disease as long as we get them on the right medication.

Don't give up on Menininha just yet! Your vet will help you to decide if the treatments are not working, but we have really good heart medications that work well for dogs these days.

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17712 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8131 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9005 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (12386 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7541 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (22212 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (7725 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14873 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9392 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13444 views)