Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema.

Breed: pinscher
Hello Dr. Marie,

I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor english.
Well, I have a 11 years old female pinscher that about one month ago, started coughing a lot suddenly and had syncopes too. She was breathing with so much dificulty. I took her to a veterinary and with the check-up the veterinary sad that she has a heart desease(mitral valve)and had a pulmonar edema. She has a little bit of hyphothyroidism too.
I´d like to know Dr Marie, with honesty, how many time my little dog is going to live, considering that I have been searching in websites of canine cardiology and some of them claim that after the first pulmonar edema, the desease is developed and the dogs have a very short time of life. In many cases about 6 months till 1 year of life only. I just would like to know if this affirmation is true. I´d be thankful if you could answer me.
Thank you.

Thanks for your question. Your English is just fine!

The textbooks will tell us that if a dog with heart disease develops pulmonary edema that they will not live long. When I first graduated from vet school I would tell people this a lot.

However, as I got more experienced I found that this is not always the case! I have many dogs in my practice that have lived 6 months or even 1-2 years with significant heart disease as long as we get them on the right medication.

Don't give up on Menininha just yet! Your vet will help you to decide if the treatments are not working, but we have really good heart medications that work well for dogs these days.

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8008 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15513 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (12889 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9173 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (50469 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (24651 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18753 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10594 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8161 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (24934 views)