Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema.

Breed: pinscher
Hello Dr. Marie,

I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor english.
Well, I have a 11 years old female pinscher that about one month ago, started coughing a lot suddenly and had syncopes too. She was breathing with so much dificulty. I took her to a veterinary and with the check-up the veterinary sad that she has a heart desease(mitral valve)and had a pulmonar edema. She has a little bit of hyphothyroidism too.
I´d like to know Dr Marie, with honesty, how many time my little dog is going to live, considering that I have been searching in websites of canine cardiology and some of them claim that after the first pulmonar edema, the desease is developed and the dogs have a very short time of life. In many cases about 6 months till 1 year of life only. I just would like to know if this affirmation is true. I´d be thankful if you could answer me.
Thank you.

Thanks for your question. Your English is just fine!

The textbooks will tell us that if a dog with heart disease develops pulmonary edema that they will not live long. When I first graduated from vet school I would tell people this a lot.

However, as I got more experienced I found that this is not always the case! I have many dogs in my practice that have lived 6 months or even 1-2 years with significant heart disease as long as we get them on the right medication.

Don't give up on Menininha just yet! Your vet will help you to decide if the treatments are not working, but we have really good heart medications that work well for dogs these days.

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9164 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20530 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8033 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10285 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6985 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10867 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8640 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11149 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12378 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11112 views)