Dog ate vitamin D

Breed: Australian Shepherd
Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch for, or do immediately?

Hi there. I'm going to look this up for you and should have a response within a few minutes. But first, do you know roughly how much your dog weighs?

35 lbs.

OK. It was difficult for me to find this information. Here is some math so that we can figure out how worried we need to be.

1,000 IU of Vitamin D = 0.025 mg which means that 5,000 IU of vitamin D = 0.125mg.

If Loki weighs 35 lbs this is the same as 15.9kg.

So, this means her dose that she ate was 0.125/15.9 mg/kg which works out to 0.008 mg/kg.

We start to worry about a dog when they eat more than 0.1mg/kg of Vitamin D. We can see life threatening effects at 0.5mg/kg.

Fortunately at 0.008 mg/kg Loki really shouldn't have any toxic effects at all.

When your vet is open tomorrow I would highly advise giving them a call so that they can confirm this for you. I can't legally make a diagnosis online without knowing Loki.

If the level was higher then the concern would be that this will increase calcium levels and can affect the kidneys. If this were my case though I wouldn't be advising any monitoring or treatment.

Dr Marie, I think we each made a mistake.

She ate TWO capsules (I did say two in my original question.) So the dosage would've been twice your math. But I also double checked the bottle, and was thinking wrong, they were 10,000 iu capsules, so she actually took in 20,000 iu, which I believe works out to .03 mg/ per kg of bodyweight.

Thank you for the information. Knowing what's generally considered toxic is good, and glad to know we're nowhere near that. I'll call my usual vet in the morning and confirm there's nothing else I should do.

Please let me know if that changes your thoughts at all.

Oh, yes you did mention that there were two capsules! And so let me repeat the math and see if I come up with the same number. :)

1,000 IU = .025mg, so 20,000 IU = 20x0.025 which is 0.5mg.

0.5mg/15.9kg = .03mg/kg.

Yes, you have good math skills. :) And yes, I still feel that Loki is safe.

Excellent! Glad we both came up with the same math! :) I appreciate the quick response!

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (46540 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21654 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17688 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5323 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9099 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7495 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9813 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20285 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22151 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (7692 views)