Draining fluid for heart failure.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and cardiologist. Leading up to the last six weeks, he has been doing well. The last few weeks have been bad. He has mitral valve disease on both ventricles. Six weeks ago he entered into right-sided heart failure. He felt bad, looked bad and I did not think he would make it.

His doctors pulled a miracle. They rearranged his medications (Sildenafil, Pimobendan, Spironolactone, Benazapril and Lasix) and he seems to be responding. The have been able to reverse his pulmonary hypertension, anorexia, and azotemia. The only lingering problem is ascites in his belly region. I have had to take him to the clinic 5 times to have him tapped. My question is in regards to ascites. Could you offer me some guidance as to when tapping is medically necessary?

Each tapping is about $500 and I would like to hold to my money for the tougher fight down the road. Of the five times, in two his belly was broader than his chest so taking him to the clinic was a no brainer. The other three, he had a pot belly but did not look that bad and it was having little impact on his condition (no impact on respiration, appetite, or spirit). In you opinion, when should ascites be treated. What are the risks one takes by not treating it?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. It really sounds like your little guy is going through some tough times. As serious as this situation is, I did smile a little at the thought of Lazarus being saved from death by his doctors. :)

I don't know that there is any rule of thumb when it comes to treating ascites in a case like this.

Most likely, if this were my case, I would be draining the ascites when it is obviously uncomfortable for Lazarus. The ascites itself is not life threatening. However, the fact that he is producing this fluid and we can't get it under control is the biggest concern.

Really, your vets are the best guides to knowing when the fluid should be drained. Perhaps, with them, you can set up some criteria to help you decide when the draining should happen. If Lazarus is not showing any signs of discomfort then one thing you could ask them about is seeing what happens if you wait perhaps an extra week or two and then doing the drain.

Ultimately though, the fact that there is fluid being produced by this is not a good sign, but I think that you are probably aware of this.

I hope he continues to do ok. Heart failure is a very difficult thing to deal with.

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4628 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11744 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (21481 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10227 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10069 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4600 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (18036 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19957 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7063 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48679 views)