Draining fluid for heart failure.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and cardiologist. Leading up to the last six weeks, he has been doing well. The last few weeks have been bad. He has mitral valve disease on both ventricles. Six weeks ago he entered into right-sided heart failure. He felt bad, looked bad and I did not think he would make it.

His doctors pulled a miracle. They rearranged his medications (Sildenafil, Pimobendan, Spironolactone, Benazapril and Lasix) and he seems to be responding. The have been able to reverse his pulmonary hypertension, anorexia, and azotemia. The only lingering problem is ascites in his belly region. I have had to take him to the clinic 5 times to have him tapped. My question is in regards to ascites. Could you offer me some guidance as to when tapping is medically necessary?

Each tapping is about $500 and I would like to hold to my money for the tougher fight down the road. Of the five times, in two his belly was broader than his chest so taking him to the clinic was a no brainer. The other three, he had a pot belly but did not look that bad and it was having little impact on his condition (no impact on respiration, appetite, or spirit). In you opinion, when should ascites be treated. What are the risks one takes by not treating it?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. It really sounds like your little guy is going through some tough times. As serious as this situation is, I did smile a little at the thought of Lazarus being saved from death by his doctors. :)

I don't know that there is any rule of thumb when it comes to treating ascites in a case like this.

Most likely, if this were my case, I would be draining the ascites when it is obviously uncomfortable for Lazarus. The ascites itself is not life threatening. However, the fact that he is producing this fluid and we can't get it under control is the biggest concern.

Really, your vets are the best guides to knowing when the fluid should be drained. Perhaps, with them, you can set up some criteria to help you decide when the draining should happen. If Lazarus is not showing any signs of discomfort then one thing you could ask them about is seeing what happens if you wait perhaps an extra week or two and then doing the drain.

Ultimately though, the fact that there is fluid being produced by this is not a good sign, but I think that you are probably aware of this.

I hope he continues to do ok. Heart failure is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9514 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4496 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10229 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40236 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9518 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13579 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (33315 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8522 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (31203 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8597 views)