Draining fluid for heart failure.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and cardiologist. Leading up to the last six weeks, he has been doing well. The last few weeks have been bad. He has mitral valve disease on both ventricles. Six weeks ago he entered into right-sided heart failure. He felt bad, looked bad and I did not think he would make it.

His doctors pulled a miracle. They rearranged his medications (Sildenafil, Pimobendan, Spironolactone, Benazapril and Lasix) and he seems to be responding. The have been able to reverse his pulmonary hypertension, anorexia, and azotemia. The only lingering problem is ascites in his belly region. I have had to take him to the clinic 5 times to have him tapped. My question is in regards to ascites. Could you offer me some guidance as to when tapping is medically necessary?

Each tapping is about $500 and I would like to hold to my money for the tougher fight down the road. Of the five times, in two his belly was broader than his chest so taking him to the clinic was a no brainer. The other three, he had a pot belly but did not look that bad and it was having little impact on his condition (no impact on respiration, appetite, or spirit). In you opinion, when should ascites be treated. What are the risks one takes by not treating it?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. It really sounds like your little guy is going through some tough times. As serious as this situation is, I did smile a little at the thought of Lazarus being saved from death by his doctors. :)

I don't know that there is any rule of thumb when it comes to treating ascites in a case like this.

Most likely, if this were my case, I would be draining the ascites when it is obviously uncomfortable for Lazarus. The ascites itself is not life threatening. However, the fact that he is producing this fluid and we can't get it under control is the biggest concern.

Really, your vets are the best guides to knowing when the fluid should be drained. Perhaps, with them, you can set up some criteria to help you decide when the draining should happen. If Lazarus is not showing any signs of discomfort then one thing you could ask them about is seeing what happens if you wait perhaps an extra week or two and then doing the drain.

Ultimately though, the fact that there is fluid being produced by this is not a good sign, but I think that you are probably aware of this.

I hope he continues to do ok. Heart failure is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25715 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5715 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5612 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (14761 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8630 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10932 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (9583 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7902 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (18738 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (10653 views)