Draining fluid for heart failure.

Breed: Chihuahua
My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and cardiologist. Leading up to the last six weeks, he has been doing well. The last few weeks have been bad. He has mitral valve disease on both ventricles. Six weeks ago he entered into right-sided heart failure. He felt bad, looked bad and I did not think he would make it.

His doctors pulled a miracle. They rearranged his medications (Sildenafil, Pimobendan, Spironolactone, Benazapril and Lasix) and he seems to be responding. The have been able to reverse his pulmonary hypertension, anorexia, and azotemia. The only lingering problem is ascites in his belly region. I have had to take him to the clinic 5 times to have him tapped. My question is in regards to ascites. Could you offer me some guidance as to when tapping is medically necessary?

Each tapping is about $500 and I would like to hold to my money for the tougher fight down the road. Of the five times, in two his belly was broader than his chest so taking him to the clinic was a no brainer. The other three, he had a pot belly but did not look that bad and it was having little impact on his condition (no impact on respiration, appetite, or spirit). In you opinion, when should ascites be treated. What are the risks one takes by not treating it?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. It really sounds like your little guy is going through some tough times. As serious as this situation is, I did smile a little at the thought of Lazarus being saved from death by his doctors. :)

I don't know that there is any rule of thumb when it comes to treating ascites in a case like this.

Most likely, if this were my case, I would be draining the ascites when it is obviously uncomfortable for Lazarus. The ascites itself is not life threatening. However, the fact that he is producing this fluid and we can't get it under control is the biggest concern.

Really, your vets are the best guides to knowing when the fluid should be drained. Perhaps, with them, you can set up some criteria to help you decide when the draining should happen. If Lazarus is not showing any signs of discomfort then one thing you could ask them about is seeing what happens if you wait perhaps an extra week or two and then doing the drain.

Ultimately though, the fact that there is fluid being produced by this is not a good sign, but I think that you are probably aware of this.

I hope he continues to do ok. Heart failure is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (6331 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (12679 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (17338 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6737 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (19945 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (28339 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (25908 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (8686 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (30616 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (9429 views)