In heat and shaking her head.

Breed: Miniature Australian
My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in heat and the bleeding had subsided but really picked up this morning. She also hasn't eaten much but will drink water. She shakes her head as if something in her ears is bothering her. I looked and couldn't see anything. She's also been quite lethargic and I think running a temperature. Should I take her to a vet?

It sounds like Ruby is quite unwell. Being in heat should not cause vomiting. However, sometimes when we think a dog is in heat they could actually have an infection in the uterus called pyometra. Pyometra is very serious and often life threatening. It can cause a dog to be extremely unwell.

Pyometra is usually more common in dogs older than 5 years of age, but it can happen in young dogs too.

However, pyometra doesn't explain the head shaking.

It's hard to find something that can connect all of these symptoms. Head shaking could be because of an ear infection, something in her ear or even some type of seizure.

In any case, the symptoms that you are describing do really sound like there is something serious going on. I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (7723 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (9562 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (26707 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (19782 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (39920 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (16270 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (21212 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (249751 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (13629 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (24909 views)