In heat and shaking her head.

Breed: Miniature Australian
My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in heat and the bleeding had subsided but really picked up this morning. She also hasn't eaten much but will drink water. She shakes her head as if something in her ears is bothering her. I looked and couldn't see anything. She's also been quite lethargic and I think running a temperature. Should I take her to a vet?

It sounds like Ruby is quite unwell. Being in heat should not cause vomiting. However, sometimes when we think a dog is in heat they could actually have an infection in the uterus called pyometra. Pyometra is very serious and often life threatening. It can cause a dog to be extremely unwell.

Pyometra is usually more common in dogs older than 5 years of age, but it can happen in young dogs too.

However, pyometra doesn't explain the head shaking.

It's hard to find something that can connect all of these symptoms. Head shaking could be because of an ear infection, something in her ear or even some type of seizure.

In any case, the symptoms that you are describing do really sound like there is something serious going on. I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19856 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12460 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (39930 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9554 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28140 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (14520 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (46260 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9203 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11000 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5146 views)