In heat and shaking her head.

Breed: Miniature Australian
My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in heat and the bleeding had subsided but really picked up this morning. She also hasn't eaten much but will drink water. She shakes her head as if something in her ears is bothering her. I looked and couldn't see anything. She's also been quite lethargic and I think running a temperature. Should I take her to a vet?

It sounds like Ruby is quite unwell. Being in heat should not cause vomiting. However, sometimes when we think a dog is in heat they could actually have an infection in the uterus called pyometra. Pyometra is very serious and often life threatening. It can cause a dog to be extremely unwell.

Pyometra is usually more common in dogs older than 5 years of age, but it can happen in young dogs too.

However, pyometra doesn't explain the head shaking.

It's hard to find something that can connect all of these symptoms. Head shaking could be because of an ear infection, something in her ear or even some type of seizure.

In any case, the symptoms that you are describing do really sound like there is something serious going on. I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (20106 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (9066 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (14111 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (33202 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (12782 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (9842 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (8361 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8122 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (24103 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (18851 views)