In heat and shaking her head.

Breed: Miniature Australian
My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in heat and the bleeding had subsided but really picked up this morning. She also hasn't eaten much but will drink water. She shakes her head as if something in her ears is bothering her. I looked and couldn't see anything. She's also been quite lethargic and I think running a temperature. Should I take her to a vet?

It sounds like Ruby is quite unwell. Being in heat should not cause vomiting. However, sometimes when we think a dog is in heat they could actually have an infection in the uterus called pyometra. Pyometra is very serious and often life threatening. It can cause a dog to be extremely unwell.

Pyometra is usually more common in dogs older than 5 years of age, but it can happen in young dogs too.

However, pyometra doesn't explain the head shaking.

It's hard to find something that can connect all of these symptoms. Head shaking could be because of an ear infection, something in her ear or even some type of seizure.

In any case, the symptoms that you are describing do really sound like there is something serious going on. I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (68433 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (41931 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (7608 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (5838 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (9177 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15128 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7289 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13360 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7109 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (33158 views)