In heat and shaking her head.

Breed: Miniature Australian
My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in heat and the bleeding had subsided but really picked up this morning. She also hasn't eaten much but will drink water. She shakes her head as if something in her ears is bothering her. I looked and couldn't see anything. She's also been quite lethargic and I think running a temperature. Should I take her to a vet?

It sounds like Ruby is quite unwell. Being in heat should not cause vomiting. However, sometimes when we think a dog is in heat they could actually have an infection in the uterus called pyometra. Pyometra is very serious and often life threatening. It can cause a dog to be extremely unwell.

Pyometra is usually more common in dogs older than 5 years of age, but it can happen in young dogs too.

However, pyometra doesn't explain the head shaking.

It's hard to find something that can connect all of these symptoms. Head shaking could be because of an ear infection, something in her ear or even some type of seizure.

In any case, the symptoms that you are describing do really sound like there is something serious going on. I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11685 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (21871 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (5336 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (23600 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (18813 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (43889 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (14202 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (13676 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (19658 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (16180 views)