Flea Allergy

Breed: Black Lab
Hello
Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by her tail . I think it is Hot spots but it has been going on for a while now and wondering how to treat the area's . and I have two Cat that are 5 years old and they have a bumpy hard spots on there skin one has kinda pulled all her hair out and the other has it mostly on her neck
Thanks Steven

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

What you have described sounds very typical of a flea problem. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one or two bites can set them off. The areas that you have described (base of tail and back of neck) are the most commonly affected areas when there are fleas present.

Don't discount fleas if you can't see them. They are very good at hiding!

I would highly advise a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline. The majority of the products that you can buy over the counter are not 100% effective.

Also, be sure that every animal in the house is treated and that you treat monthly for at least 3 months.

I hope all goes well!

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13934 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8970 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (16017 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10156 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8304 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (12512 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (23251 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (111696 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (13675 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (14239 views)