Flea Allergy

Breed: Black Lab
Hello
Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by her tail . I think it is Hot spots but it has been going on for a while now and wondering how to treat the area's . and I have two Cat that are 5 years old and they have a bumpy hard spots on there skin one has kinda pulled all her hair out and the other has it mostly on her neck
Thanks Steven

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

What you have described sounds very typical of a flea problem. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one or two bites can set them off. The areas that you have described (base of tail and back of neck) are the most commonly affected areas when there are fleas present.

Don't discount fleas if you can't see them. They are very good at hiding!

I would highly advise a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline. The majority of the products that you can buy over the counter are not 100% effective.

Also, be sure that every animal in the house is treated and that you treat monthly for at least 3 months.

I hope all goes well!

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11692 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (26647 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (4448 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (19992 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (16821 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7049 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4458 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (28411 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11478 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6439 views)