Flea Allergy

Breed: Black Lab
Hello
Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by her tail . I think it is Hot spots but it has been going on for a while now and wondering how to treat the area's . and I have two Cat that are 5 years old and they have a bumpy hard spots on there skin one has kinda pulled all her hair out and the other has it mostly on her neck
Thanks Steven

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

What you have described sounds very typical of a flea problem. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one or two bites can set them off. The areas that you have described (base of tail and back of neck) are the most commonly affected areas when there are fleas present.

Don't discount fleas if you can't see them. They are very good at hiding!

I would highly advise a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline. The majority of the products that you can buy over the counter are not 100% effective.

Also, be sure that every animal in the house is treated and that you treat monthly for at least 3 months.

I hope all goes well!

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (20004 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42087 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (62732 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13444 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13930 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20599 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11605 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (220269 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9515 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8731 views)