Flea Allergy

Breed: Black Lab
Hello
Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by her tail . I think it is Hot spots but it has been going on for a while now and wondering how to treat the area's . and I have two Cat that are 5 years old and they have a bumpy hard spots on there skin one has kinda pulled all her hair out and the other has it mostly on her neck
Thanks Steven

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

What you have described sounds very typical of a flea problem. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one or two bites can set them off. The areas that you have described (base of tail and back of neck) are the most commonly affected areas when there are fleas present.

Don't discount fleas if you can't see them. They are very good at hiding!

I would highly advise a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline. The majority of the products that you can buy over the counter are not 100% effective.

Also, be sure that every animal in the house is treated and that you treat monthly for at least 3 months.

I hope all goes well!

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11585 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10265 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9777 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (107013 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12641 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11985 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38488 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11078 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (88879 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8618 views)