Flea Allergy

Breed: Black Lab
Hello
Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by her tail . I think it is Hot spots but it has been going on for a while now and wondering how to treat the area's . and I have two Cat that are 5 years old and they have a bumpy hard spots on there skin one has kinda pulled all her hair out and the other has it mostly on her neck
Thanks Steven

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

What you have described sounds very typical of a flea problem. Some animals are so allergic to fleas that even one or two bites can set them off. The areas that you have described (base of tail and back of neck) are the most commonly affected areas when there are fleas present.

Don't discount fleas if you can't see them. They are very good at hiding!

I would highly advise a prescription flea product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline. The majority of the products that you can buy over the counter are not 100% effective.

Also, be sure that every animal in the house is treated and that you treat monthly for at least 3 months.

I hope all goes well!

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (6571 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9275 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (112692 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12320 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (14813 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11856 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10789 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (38617 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (37596 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (6230 views)