Swollen penis

Breed: Bichon/Maltese
Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive.
I really only noticed something was amiss with the puss yesterday. However, upon reflection, his penis has been larger for a week now.
At the moment it is enlarged within the foreskin and it feels like the bulbourethral gland is slightly swollen.

Charlie is 3.5 yrs, not fixed. He has never successful mated with a female but humps his teddy bear almost daily to the point of ejaculation. He has been eating well, drinking, playing. His pee patterns have not changed but I've noticed in the last 3 outtings he has 2 or 3 bowl movements in the time we are out. It was a bit constipated today. Charlie's diet is 40% protein (chicken breast or pork), 50% rice, 10% mixed vegetables, that I cook. He has been eating cooked food since weaning. I also leave a bowl (1 cup) of dry puppy chow out at all times; he usually finishes it in 5 days.

Ouch! Charlie really does look sore.

I've included the picture that you sent me here:

swollen penis

I can't say that I've seen many penises that look like this. From the photos it really looks like he either has an injury or infection such as an abscess.

Because the penis is such a sensitive area, if he hit it on something it could bruise very easily. It may be that this is just severe bruising.

An abscess could be caused by any sort of break in the skin. It's possible that he injured himself while pumping his teddy bear. If he had any sort of wound, it could have become infected causing this swelling.

It is also possible that he has a problem with having a persistent erection, but I would expect to see the penis protruding from the sheath if this was the case.

A persistent erection can be a very serious problem, and for this reason I would advise that you have his vet see him as soon as possible.

Until then if Charlie will let you, it would be a good idea to put an ice pack with a T-shirt over it on this area for 10 minutes at a time several times over the day.

Here are some other things that would make me want to see the vet right away:

-if he is unable to urinate or seems to be having great difficulty urinating.
-if it seems to be getting worse rather than better.
-if you just feel that he's very uncomfortable. Often it is best to follow our gut. If your gut is saying that this is something serious and have him seen right away.

I hope he feels better soon!

Thank you for your reply.
I'm happy to report that the pussing has stopped. I applied Bacitin ointment mixed with Neosporin powder last night and it did the trick. It's still a bit swollen but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down. However,I know it's still bothering him somewhat as when I insert the Q-tip of ointment under the foreskin, he doesn't fuss but instead kisses me.

I took his temp and its pretty normal at 99.99. Since there is no fever, should I just continue for a few days witn the ointment?

Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that things are improving. The Neosporin probably helps a little although it's not usually a miracle cure.

As long as he is eating well, not extremely uncomfortable, able to urinate and continuing to improve then you are ok to keep doing what you are doing.

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7363 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12471 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9225 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18585 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (14612 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (69759 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (53275 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9497 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7478 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (15891 views)