Swollen penis

Breed: Bichon/Maltese
Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive.
I really only noticed something was amiss with the puss yesterday. However, upon reflection, his penis has been larger for a week now.
At the moment it is enlarged within the foreskin and it feels like the bulbourethral gland is slightly swollen.

Charlie is 3.5 yrs, not fixed. He has never successful mated with a female but humps his teddy bear almost daily to the point of ejaculation. He has been eating well, drinking, playing. His pee patterns have not changed but I've noticed in the last 3 outtings he has 2 or 3 bowl movements in the time we are out. It was a bit constipated today. Charlie's diet is 40% protein (chicken breast or pork), 50% rice, 10% mixed vegetables, that I cook. He has been eating cooked food since weaning. I also leave a bowl (1 cup) of dry puppy chow out at all times; he usually finishes it in 5 days.

Ouch! Charlie really does look sore.

I've included the picture that you sent me here:

swollen penis

I can't say that I've seen many penises that look like this. From the photos it really looks like he either has an injury or infection such as an abscess.

Because the penis is such a sensitive area, if he hit it on something it could bruise very easily. It may be that this is just severe bruising.

An abscess could be caused by any sort of break in the skin. It's possible that he injured himself while pumping his teddy bear. If he had any sort of wound, it could have become infected causing this swelling.

It is also possible that he has a problem with having a persistent erection, but I would expect to see the penis protruding from the sheath if this was the case.

A persistent erection can be a very serious problem, and for this reason I would advise that you have his vet see him as soon as possible.

Until then if Charlie will let you, it would be a good idea to put an ice pack with a T-shirt over it on this area for 10 minutes at a time several times over the day.

Here are some other things that would make me want to see the vet right away:

-if he is unable to urinate or seems to be having great difficulty urinating.
-if it seems to be getting worse rather than better.
-if you just feel that he's very uncomfortable. Often it is best to follow our gut. If your gut is saying that this is something serious and have him seen right away.

I hope he feels better soon!

Thank you for your reply.
I'm happy to report that the pussing has stopped. I applied Bacitin ointment mixed with Neosporin powder last night and it did the trick. It's still a bit swollen but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down. However,I know it's still bothering him somewhat as when I insert the Q-tip of ointment under the foreskin, he doesn't fuss but instead kisses me.

I took his temp and its pretty normal at 99.99. Since there is no fever, should I just continue for a few days witn the ointment?

Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that things are improving. The Neosporin probably helps a little although it's not usually a miracle cure.

As long as he is eating well, not extremely uncomfortable, able to urinate and continuing to improve then you are ok to keep doing what you are doing.

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11628 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21987 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15355 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5751 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19815 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11063 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8107 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7672 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17897 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (55431 views)