Possible distemper or kennel cough.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for his well examine. At that time I told the Vet yhat he appeared to have allergies. He was taken back to the Vet on Aug 24. He had a fever; he was given 2 shots and the following meds:Cefpodoxime Prox 100mg & Guaifensin 200mg for upper respiratory problems and he had a fever. Today, he ate this morning but would not eat in the evening. I took him back to a Vet due to sneezing and coughing. He spit up up on several occasions and he had a temperature. Tonight he still has temperature and Vet stated poss. kennel cough; pnuemonia & fever; early distember. Advised to go to VCA if lethergy and inaaetance continues. He is very quiet and still at home. What is your opinion?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Bub's problems.

In my experience it is uncommon to see allergies causing respiratory symptoms in dogs. By far the most common reason for upper respiratory problems and fever is a virus of some sort. Kennel cough is the most common. Kennel cough can sometimes progress into pneumonia. Distemper is the next most common. In my area I do not see much distemper, but in some parts of the world it is becoming more common.

If this is kennel cough then the symptoms should improve with the medications prescribed by your vet.

If the symptoms are not improving then they will want to take xrays and possibly do some additional tests.

If they suspect pneumonia he may possibly need a few days of treatment in the hospital.

If it is distemper this can be very serious. Dogs can recover from distemper but many dogs do not survive.

I really hope he is ok!

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19482 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7523 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12482 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12167 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (17148 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8513 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (7532 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (8244 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (23077 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (28027 views)