Possible distemper or kennel cough.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for his well examine. At that time I told the Vet yhat he appeared to have allergies. He was taken back to the Vet on Aug 24. He had a fever; he was given 2 shots and the following meds:Cefpodoxime Prox 100mg & Guaifensin 200mg for upper respiratory problems and he had a fever. Today, he ate this morning but would not eat in the evening. I took him back to a Vet due to sneezing and coughing. He spit up up on several occasions and he had a temperature. Tonight he still has temperature and Vet stated poss. kennel cough; pnuemonia & fever; early distember. Advised to go to VCA if lethergy and inaaetance continues. He is very quiet and still at home. What is your opinion?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Bub's problems.

In my experience it is uncommon to see allergies causing respiratory symptoms in dogs. By far the most common reason for upper respiratory problems and fever is a virus of some sort. Kennel cough is the most common. Kennel cough can sometimes progress into pneumonia. Distemper is the next most common. In my area I do not see much distemper, but in some parts of the world it is becoming more common.

If this is kennel cough then the symptoms should improve with the medications prescribed by your vet.

If the symptoms are not improving then they will want to take xrays and possibly do some additional tests.

If they suspect pneumonia he may possibly need a few days of treatment in the hospital.

If it is distemper this can be very serious. Dogs can recover from distemper but many dogs do not survive.

I really hope he is ok!

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (9476 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (84347 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (36224 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (19876 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5841 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (17733 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (12748 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (29213 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (5435 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (9439 views)