Possible distemper or kennel cough.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for his well examine. At that time I told the Vet yhat he appeared to have allergies. He was taken back to the Vet on Aug 24. He had a fever; he was given 2 shots and the following meds:Cefpodoxime Prox 100mg & Guaifensin 200mg for upper respiratory problems and he had a fever. Today, he ate this morning but would not eat in the evening. I took him back to a Vet due to sneezing and coughing. He spit up up on several occasions and he had a temperature. Tonight he still has temperature and Vet stated poss. kennel cough; pnuemonia & fever; early distember. Advised to go to VCA if lethergy and inaaetance continues. He is very quiet and still at home. What is your opinion?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Bub's problems.

In my experience it is uncommon to see allergies causing respiratory symptoms in dogs. By far the most common reason for upper respiratory problems and fever is a virus of some sort. Kennel cough is the most common. Kennel cough can sometimes progress into pneumonia. Distemper is the next most common. In my area I do not see much distemper, but in some parts of the world it is becoming more common.

If this is kennel cough then the symptoms should improve with the medications prescribed by your vet.

If the symptoms are not improving then they will want to take xrays and possibly do some additional tests.

If they suspect pneumonia he may possibly need a few days of treatment in the hospital.

If it is distemper this can be very serious. Dogs can recover from distemper but many dogs do not survive.

I really hope he is ok!

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11342 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (22166 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22642 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (8920 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6491 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6882 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6328 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10668 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (16366 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5283 views)