Possible distemper or kennel cough.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for his well examine. At that time I told the Vet yhat he appeared to have allergies. He was taken back to the Vet on Aug 24. He had a fever; he was given 2 shots and the following meds:Cefpodoxime Prox 100mg & Guaifensin 200mg for upper respiratory problems and he had a fever. Today, he ate this morning but would not eat in the evening. I took him back to a Vet due to sneezing and coughing. He spit up up on several occasions and he had a temperature. Tonight he still has temperature and Vet stated poss. kennel cough; pnuemonia & fever; early distember. Advised to go to VCA if lethergy and inaaetance continues. He is very quiet and still at home. What is your opinion?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Bub's problems.

In my experience it is uncommon to see allergies causing respiratory symptoms in dogs. By far the most common reason for upper respiratory problems and fever is a virus of some sort. Kennel cough is the most common. Kennel cough can sometimes progress into pneumonia. Distemper is the next most common. In my area I do not see much distemper, but in some parts of the world it is becoming more common.

If this is kennel cough then the symptoms should improve with the medications prescribed by your vet.

If the symptoms are not improving then they will want to take xrays and possibly do some additional tests.

If they suspect pneumonia he may possibly need a few days of treatment in the hospital.

If it is distemper this can be very serious. Dogs can recover from distemper but many dogs do not survive.

I really hope he is ok!

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (19850 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (7177 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (15695 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (19376 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (15840 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (11133 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (10287 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (24700 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (10980 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (59522 views)