Possible distemper or kennel cough.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for his well examine. At that time I told the Vet yhat he appeared to have allergies. He was taken back to the Vet on Aug 24. He had a fever; he was given 2 shots and the following meds:Cefpodoxime Prox 100mg & Guaifensin 200mg for upper respiratory problems and he had a fever. Today, he ate this morning but would not eat in the evening. I took him back to a Vet due to sneezing and coughing. He spit up up on several occasions and he had a temperature. Tonight he still has temperature and Vet stated poss. kennel cough; pnuemonia & fever; early distember. Advised to go to VCA if lethergy and inaaetance continues. He is very quiet and still at home. What is your opinion?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Bub's problems.

In my experience it is uncommon to see allergies causing respiratory symptoms in dogs. By far the most common reason for upper respiratory problems and fever is a virus of some sort. Kennel cough is the most common. Kennel cough can sometimes progress into pneumonia. Distemper is the next most common. In my area I do not see much distemper, but in some parts of the world it is becoming more common.

If this is kennel cough then the symptoms should improve with the medications prescribed by your vet.

If the symptoms are not improving then they will want to take xrays and possibly do some additional tests.

If they suspect pneumonia he may possibly need a few days of treatment in the hospital.

If it is distemper this can be very serious. Dogs can recover from distemper but many dogs do not survive.

I really hope he is ok!

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12118 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18884 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (9068 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (44370 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (48968 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (45617 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11374 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (7842 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (37602 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13603 views)