Are chicken feces toxic?

Breed: Cavalier king charle
I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do about it if he has already consumed chicken poop? Thanks

Hi and thanks for a great question!

The risk with dogs eating chicken feces is that they may end up ingesting bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter. Both of these can cause serious diarrhea and can be contagious to people as well.

With that being said, not all chickens carry these bacteria so not every dog who eats chicken poop will get sick.

Still, it's a good idea to discourage the practice.

There are no parasites that can be spread from chickens to dogs via the stool so you have no worries in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything right now. If the dog has some mild diarrhea you can try a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. However, if the dog has severe diarrhea, diarrhea that is lasting for more than 48 hours or really doesn't feel well then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

I hope all is well!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6591 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14391 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (17412 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10868 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (10064 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9862 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (11296 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8376 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44881 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (14956 views)