Are chicken feces toxic?

Breed: Cavalier king charle
I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do about it if he has already consumed chicken poop? Thanks

Hi and thanks for a great question!

The risk with dogs eating chicken feces is that they may end up ingesting bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter. Both of these can cause serious diarrhea and can be contagious to people as well.

With that being said, not all chickens carry these bacteria so not every dog who eats chicken poop will get sick.

Still, it's a good idea to discourage the practice.

There are no parasites that can be spread from chickens to dogs via the stool so you have no worries in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything right now. If the dog has some mild diarrhea you can try a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. However, if the dog has severe diarrhea, diarrhea that is lasting for more than 48 hours or really doesn't feel well then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

I hope all is well!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9741 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20473 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (12313 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (7399 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (123018 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (22001 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (25362 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (7939 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (7753 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (8840 views)