Are chicken feces toxic?

Breed: Cavalier king charle
I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do about it if he has already consumed chicken poop? Thanks

Hi and thanks for a great question!

The risk with dogs eating chicken feces is that they may end up ingesting bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter. Both of these can cause serious diarrhea and can be contagious to people as well.

With that being said, not all chickens carry these bacteria so not every dog who eats chicken poop will get sick.

Still, it's a good idea to discourage the practice.

There are no parasites that can be spread from chickens to dogs via the stool so you have no worries in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything right now. If the dog has some mild diarrhea you can try a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. However, if the dog has severe diarrhea, diarrhea that is lasting for more than 48 hours or really doesn't feel well then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

I hope all is well!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (32658 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (13805 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12365 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (13072 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9213 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (21482 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4287 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9824 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14123 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (12710 views)