Are chicken feces toxic?

Breed: Cavalier king charle
I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do about it if he has already consumed chicken poop? Thanks

Hi and thanks for a great question!

The risk with dogs eating chicken feces is that they may end up ingesting bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter. Both of these can cause serious diarrhea and can be contagious to people as well.

With that being said, not all chickens carry these bacteria so not every dog who eats chicken poop will get sick.

Still, it's a good idea to discourage the practice.

There are no parasites that can be spread from chickens to dogs via the stool so you have no worries in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything right now. If the dog has some mild diarrhea you can try a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. However, if the dog has severe diarrhea, diarrhea that is lasting for more than 48 hours or really doesn't feel well then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

I hope all is well!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (7341 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11653 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (11733 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5792 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6341 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (15280 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (16971 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (6002 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (23828 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12652 views)