Upper respiratory infection.

Breed: tomcat
HI Dr. Marie,
Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I know who the cat belongs to but the person does not take care of it. I am a loving cat person, so i decided to feed it. I noticed it could not breathe thru its nose, it had green discharge from nose, it would sneeze, and have terrible coughing fits, after more inspection i found out it had itchy scaley bumps all over its body. i really dont know what to do because the city i live in wont take any strays. I am scared to call animal control because im afraid they will kill him. I cant afford to take him to vet. Does this sound like something that will go away with love and care....also i have som penicillen can i give him that? He has excellent appetite and drinking habit he uses the litter box well.
Ill be waiting for
your answer,,,
Thank You

Hi and thanks for your question.

The most common reason for green discharge from the nose and congestion is a viral upper respiratory tract infection. This is sort of like a cold in people. However, when we see green discharge it means that there is a bacterial component and the cat will likely need antibiotics. We don't generally use penicillin (and really, you would need to see a vet in order to get the proper medication and correct dosage.)

One thing that you can buy without a prescription that helps cats to recover quicker from a respiratory virus is Lysine. Lysine is an amino acid supplement that helps stop respiratory viruses from replicating. However, if there is also a bacterial infection present (which is likely with the green discharge) then antibiotics are going to be necessary.

The most common reason for the scabs or bumps on the body is fleas. Sometimes you can't actually see the fleas. If you see black flecks on the fur then this is flea dirt. Over the counter products for fleas are not very effective. I'd highly recommend something like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

There are other possibilities though including:

• A bacterial skin infection.

• An allergy to something

• A fungal infection like ringworm

Sometimes when stray cats have multiple problems like this it can be because their immune system is suppressed with a virus like FIV or Feline Leukemia which unfortunately we do not have cures for.

This is a tough situation that you are in. It does sound like this kitty needs to see a vet, so unfortunately you may need to decide between paying for a vet visit yourself or surrendering him to a rescue organization or humane society.

I hope everything works out ok!

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (56469 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15217 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (7205 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (23665 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6597 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (12890 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9138 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (53106 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (116138 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7389 views)