Upper respiratory infection.

Breed: tomcat
HI Dr. Marie,
Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I know who the cat belongs to but the person does not take care of it. I am a loving cat person, so i decided to feed it. I noticed it could not breathe thru its nose, it had green discharge from nose, it would sneeze, and have terrible coughing fits, after more inspection i found out it had itchy scaley bumps all over its body. i really dont know what to do because the city i live in wont take any strays. I am scared to call animal control because im afraid they will kill him. I cant afford to take him to vet. Does this sound like something that will go away with love and care....also i have som penicillen can i give him that? He has excellent appetite and drinking habit he uses the litter box well.
Ill be waiting for
your answer,,,
Thank You

Hi and thanks for your question.

The most common reason for green discharge from the nose and congestion is a viral upper respiratory tract infection. This is sort of like a cold in people. However, when we see green discharge it means that there is a bacterial component and the cat will likely need antibiotics. We don't generally use penicillin (and really, you would need to see a vet in order to get the proper medication and correct dosage.)

One thing that you can buy without a prescription that helps cats to recover quicker from a respiratory virus is Lysine. Lysine is an amino acid supplement that helps stop respiratory viruses from replicating. However, if there is also a bacterial infection present (which is likely with the green discharge) then antibiotics are going to be necessary.

The most common reason for the scabs or bumps on the body is fleas. Sometimes you can't actually see the fleas. If you see black flecks on the fur then this is flea dirt. Over the counter products for fleas are not very effective. I'd highly recommend something like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

There are other possibilities though including:

• A bacterial skin infection.

• An allergy to something

• A fungal infection like ringworm

Sometimes when stray cats have multiple problems like this it can be because their immune system is suppressed with a virus like FIV or Feline Leukemia which unfortunately we do not have cures for.

This is a tough situation that you are in. It does sound like this kitty needs to see a vet, so unfortunately you may need to decide between paying for a vet visit yourself or surrendering him to a rescue organization or humane society.

I hope everything works out ok!

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (7024 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (10761 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (28077 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (17551 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (10584 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (8960 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (13092 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (10904 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (26252 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (22460 views)