Kitten diarrhea.

Breed: american shorthair
my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he doesnt want to drink. can you pls. help me on what to do. thanks.

Sorry to hear that Chubbs is having problems.

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration so it is definitely a concern when they are this sick.

It is possible that he has a virus such as panleukopenia. This is very similar to parvo virus in dogs. Panleukopenia can be treated but generally needs IV fluid therapy at the vet's office.

The symptoms could also be because of parasites although it would have to be a large burden of parasites in order to be causing him to be this sick. You can try an over the counter Dewormer, however, it sounds like this little boy may need more than just dewormer to get better.

It is also possible that this is enteritis (upset intestines) because of something he has eaten. I will often prescribe metronidazole to animals to help with intestinal inflammation but this is a prescription that would need to be provided by a vet.

I would highly advise you have a vet look at Chubbs soon.

I hope he is ok!

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11744 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10287 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (16813 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13776 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (9243 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33231 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10608 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (6238 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11952 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18994 views)