Should dog with cancer be euthanized?

Breed: Pug
Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it surgically removed, but now (10 months later) it has spread throughout his entire body. He has a few visible tumors (one very large), all of his lymph nodes are enlarged, and the vet said that his spleen and liver are enlarged as well. We know we will need to put him to sleep soon, but as of right now he has no visible symptoms. We were hoping to wait a bit until he starts showing signs (eating less or vomiting), but the vet is urging us to have him put down sooner out of fear that his tumor(s) could "implode" leaving him in excrucuiating pain. She called him a ticking time bomb! Does this sound correct? We would put him to sleep sooner if it meant sparing him pain, but right now he seems okay. Help!!! Thanks so much...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear about Ben's cancer. A Grade III mast cell tumor is indeed something serious.

Decisions like this are really hard to make. I can see where the vet is coming from. We know that Ben has a very bad type of cancer and it is affecting his lymph nodes and his organs. The odds are extremely high that he only has a small amount of time left. If I had to guess I'd say that this time is likely a week or two. (But that's just a guess of course.) The train of thought here is that, if Ben only has such a short time left, the best and kindest course of action would be to consider euthanasia now so that he doesn't need to experience sickness and pain.

I can also see your point of view as well. It would be very difficult to consider euthanasia when Ben is acting normal.

The answer, as I see it lies in how certain the vet is of the diagnosis. If there is a severe spread of cancer and it is definitely affecting his organs then you can be guaranteed that the end is near. We all wish that when our pets finally pass on that they do it peacefully in their sleep. However, that does not happen often. The types of things that could happen to Ben are not pleasant. If the spleen is affected, it may be that a tumor ends up rupturing the spleen and he can bleed out into his abdomen. This would cause him quite significant distress. If something like this happens over the holidays or in the middle of the night, rushing him to emergency to do an emergency euthanasia is going to be a very traumatic experience for everyone.

Another possibility that I saw many times when doing emergency work is that he could end up having seizures. Rushing a seizuring dog into the vet for euthanasia is very traumatic as well.

Now, it is possible that the decline is slow. You could make the decision to wait and when Ben has lost his appetite or is showing other symptoms of not feeling well such as vomiting or extreme lethargy then you make the decision then. But, there really is no way of knowing whether he will gradually decline or whether something emergent is going to happen.

It's a tough call. Your vet is the best one to help you in making this decision though and I really would trust her judgement in helping you to decide.

I hope things end well for Ben, and again, I'm so sorry for the bad news.

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7851 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10846 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7513 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (18750 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6123 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9577 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (9819 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32348 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (18469 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14958 views)