Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few months ago he was well adjusted and had no visible health problems. One Saturday at the end of October, he began vomiting yellow foam and having bouts of very foul, diarrhea with bloody mucous in it and refused to eat. I took him to a vet and they gave him a fecal analysis which was negative for parasites/worms, and prescribed a 3 day dose of Panacur just to be sure. His symptoms stopped a couple days later, but the diarrhea and vomiting came back again 2 weeks later. Since that time he continues to get sick exactly every 2 weeks for about 3 days, then goes back to normal. When he is "normal" he eats his food regularly and has regular bowel movements. What could possibly be wrong with him and what steps do I need to take?

I'm sorry to hear of Alfie's recurring problems with diarrhea and vomiting. It's unusual for a dog to get sick on such a regular schedule like this.

If Panacur seemed to work, you could ask your vet about doing some repeat dosing of the Panacur. There are some parasites (such as whipworms that are very hard to find on testing occasionally) that need multiple doses of Panacur to be eradicated. Some vets will treat now, three weeks from now and then three months from now.

It's possible that Alfie is reacting to something in his diet. If you do give him treats or table food it may be a good idea to keep a diary of what he eats to see if you can find out what type of food is triggering the attacks.
Sometimes when I have dogs with periodic stomach upset I will put them on a special bland diet for several months and then try to gradually introduce new foods. You can talk to your vet about that.

Another possibility is some type of foreign object in his stomach. If it is small enough that it is not completely blocking him it could cause intermittent vomiting. However, diarrhea would not normally be a component of this type of problem.

If this were my case I would be recommending some routine blood testing for Alfie to look for signs of underlying disease. Small dogs can be prone to something called a liver shunt which can cause periodic problems. Sometimes there can be clues on blood testing, but not always. Similarly, a condition called addison's disease can cause periodic vomiting and diarrhea and can sometimes be picked up on regular blood work, but sometimes more specific tests such as an ACTH stim test would need to be done.

Another thing I would be suggesting is some xrays to look for the possibility of a foreign object.

Cases like this are tough because there are so many possibilities. And, in some cases we don't find the cause.

I hope you get to the bottom of things soon!

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239965 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22455 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5828 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (10342 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (40790 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17837 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (19917 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7782 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12777 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7283 views)