Dog licking everything

Breed: Hungarian Vizsla
My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can get to after he eats.

He has also started bloating after meals. He was treated medically for bloat once last week which helped but he has bloated to a lesser extent a few times over the last 10 days and shifted the gas himself.

Are the two connected and how can I stop/prevent this behaviour?

He is now eating from an anti-bloat bowl to slow his eating down but this doesn't seem to have helped.

He eats CSJ21 (ingredients below) twice a day mixed with raw beef mince.

CSJ21: Fresh Salmon (min 26%), Whole White Rice, Corn, Fish Meal, Barley, Chicken Oil, Oats, Brewers Yeast, Sugar Beet, Whole linseed, Salmon Oil, Herbs (marshmallow, peppermint, fenugreek, parsley, rosemary), Minerals, Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yucca Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine Sulphate & MSM.

Bloat is definitely a condition to take seriously. I am worried that Otto may need to have surgery to be sure that this problem doesn't happen again. (What the surgery does is attach the stomach to the body wall so that it can't flip again.)

It is hard to say whether the licking is connected to the bloat or not. Usually if a dog is licking their paws excessively it can be a sign of an allergy. However, an allergy shouldn't make him lick other things obsessively.

Sometimes a dog will lick or try to eat strange things because they have stomach upset. My theory is that the dog feels that if they eat something it will either help their stomach to feel better or it may make them vomit which would help them to feel better as well.

You may want to ask your vet if you could give some Pepcid (famotidine) to help with minor stomach upset. However, I would highly advise talking to your vet about doing surgery to ensure he is not going to bloat again.

Rekated question: My dog eats too fast

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30428 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12772 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11188 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (9361 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (15786 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6102 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (10705 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11000 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (12122 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11449 views)