Dog licking everything

Breed: Hungarian Vizsla
My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can get to after he eats.

He has also started bloating after meals. He was treated medically for bloat once last week which helped but he has bloated to a lesser extent a few times over the last 10 days and shifted the gas himself.

Are the two connected and how can I stop/prevent this behaviour?

He is now eating from an anti-bloat bowl to slow his eating down but this doesn't seem to have helped.

He eats CSJ21 (ingredients below) twice a day mixed with raw beef mince.

CSJ21: Fresh Salmon (min 26%), Whole White Rice, Corn, Fish Meal, Barley, Chicken Oil, Oats, Brewers Yeast, Sugar Beet, Whole linseed, Salmon Oil, Herbs (marshmallow, peppermint, fenugreek, parsley, rosemary), Minerals, Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yucca Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine Sulphate & MSM.

Bloat is definitely a condition to take seriously. I am worried that Otto may need to have surgery to be sure that this problem doesn't happen again. (What the surgery does is attach the stomach to the body wall so that it can't flip again.)

It is hard to say whether the licking is connected to the bloat or not. Usually if a dog is licking their paws excessively it can be a sign of an allergy. However, an allergy shouldn't make him lick other things obsessively.

Sometimes a dog will lick or try to eat strange things because they have stomach upset. My theory is that the dog feels that if they eat something it will either help their stomach to feel better or it may make them vomit which would help them to feel better as well.

You may want to ask your vet if you could give some Pepcid (famotidine) to help with minor stomach upset. However, I would highly advise talking to your vet about doing surgery to ensure he is not going to bloat again.

Rekated question: My dog eats too fast

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (13769 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (39992 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (25296 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8357 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (33021 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (34389 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10696 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (94918 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (37034 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (15419 views)