Dog licking everything

Breed: Hungarian Vizsla
My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can get to after he eats.

He has also started bloating after meals. He was treated medically for bloat once last week which helped but he has bloated to a lesser extent a few times over the last 10 days and shifted the gas himself.

Are the two connected and how can I stop/prevent this behaviour?

He is now eating from an anti-bloat bowl to slow his eating down but this doesn't seem to have helped.

He eats CSJ21 (ingredients below) twice a day mixed with raw beef mince.

CSJ21: Fresh Salmon (min 26%), Whole White Rice, Corn, Fish Meal, Barley, Chicken Oil, Oats, Brewers Yeast, Sugar Beet, Whole linseed, Salmon Oil, Herbs (marshmallow, peppermint, fenugreek, parsley, rosemary), Minerals, Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yucca Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine Sulphate & MSM.

Bloat is definitely a condition to take seriously. I am worried that Otto may need to have surgery to be sure that this problem doesn't happen again. (What the surgery does is attach the stomach to the body wall so that it can't flip again.)

It is hard to say whether the licking is connected to the bloat or not. Usually if a dog is licking their paws excessively it can be a sign of an allergy. However, an allergy shouldn't make him lick other things obsessively.

Sometimes a dog will lick or try to eat strange things because they have stomach upset. My theory is that the dog feels that if they eat something it will either help their stomach to feel better or it may make them vomit which would help them to feel better as well.

You may want to ask your vet if you could give some Pepcid (famotidine) to help with minor stomach upset. However, I would highly advise talking to your vet about doing surgery to ensure he is not going to bloat again.

Rekated question: My dog eats too fast

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (7842 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (8397 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (9820 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (13345 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12045 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (7531 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (14544 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (35670 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (17723 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (10199 views)