Won't eat kidney diet.

Breed: Himalayan/Persion
My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both can/wet and dry) for the last five years. They recently changed the can formula on NF Kidney food, which was the only brand that she would eat. I still have a few cans left. She refuses to eat the new formula. She does eat the dry food and drink her water regularly. What is the harm to her if she only eats the dry food? Is it substantial, moderate, minimal, or no effect at all? She is currently doing real well and her kidney numbers have stabilized. My fear is that by not eating the canned food anymore she could take a turn for the worse. Please inform.

Hi there David and thanks for your question!

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Allie. To live with renal disease for 5 years means that you and your vet are doing all of the right things.

You are right that canned food tends to be better for cats with kidney disease. This is because it will provide more moisture for the Allie to help to replace some of the extra fluid that her kidneys are urinating out.

However, from what you have told me I am not too concerned. I would be more worried if you said Allie did not want to eat much at all. If she is eating a significant amount of the dry renal food she should be ok. If she starts to go off of her dry food too though this can be a sign that things are not going well with her kidneys.

To answer your question, in my opinion the effect on her kidneys of just eating dry food is likely minimal if anything at all.

You could talk to your vet about whether giving subcutaneous fluids to Allie would help. I have many clients who either come in once or twice a week or who have been taught to do fluids at home. These extra fluids will be even more beneficial than canned food in supplying extra fluid to her body.

I want to thank you again for asking your question. It is interesting that my husband's name is David and we have a Persian cat named Allie! Strange!

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (9860 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (25436 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6060 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (15380 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12172 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (5846 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (9586 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (25695 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (15631 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (7841 views)