Won't eat kidney diet.

Breed: Himalayan/Persion
My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both can/wet and dry) for the last five years. They recently changed the can formula on NF Kidney food, which was the only brand that she would eat. I still have a few cans left. She refuses to eat the new formula. She does eat the dry food and drink her water regularly. What is the harm to her if she only eats the dry food? Is it substantial, moderate, minimal, or no effect at all? She is currently doing real well and her kidney numbers have stabilized. My fear is that by not eating the canned food anymore she could take a turn for the worse. Please inform.

Hi there David and thanks for your question!

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Allie. To live with renal disease for 5 years means that you and your vet are doing all of the right things.

You are right that canned food tends to be better for cats with kidney disease. This is because it will provide more moisture for the Allie to help to replace some of the extra fluid that her kidneys are urinating out.

However, from what you have told me I am not too concerned. I would be more worried if you said Allie did not want to eat much at all. If she is eating a significant amount of the dry renal food she should be ok. If she starts to go off of her dry food too though this can be a sign that things are not going well with her kidneys.

To answer your question, in my opinion the effect on her kidneys of just eating dry food is likely minimal if anything at all.

You could talk to your vet about whether giving subcutaneous fluids to Allie would help. I have many clients who either come in once or twice a week or who have been taught to do fluids at home. These extra fluids will be even more beneficial than canned food in supplying extra fluid to her body.

I want to thank you again for asking your question. It is interesting that my husband's name is David and we have a Persian cat named Allie! Strange!

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8153 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (27567 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34368 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40940 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (65211 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32033 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (9498 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6227 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4728 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (107013 views)