Won't eat kidney diet.

Breed: Himalayan/Persion
My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both can/wet and dry) for the last five years. They recently changed the can formula on NF Kidney food, which was the only brand that she would eat. I still have a few cans left. She refuses to eat the new formula. She does eat the dry food and drink her water regularly. What is the harm to her if she only eats the dry food? Is it substantial, moderate, minimal, or no effect at all? She is currently doing real well and her kidney numbers have stabilized. My fear is that by not eating the canned food anymore she could take a turn for the worse. Please inform.

Hi there David and thanks for your question!

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Allie. To live with renal disease for 5 years means that you and your vet are doing all of the right things.

You are right that canned food tends to be better for cats with kidney disease. This is because it will provide more moisture for the Allie to help to replace some of the extra fluid that her kidneys are urinating out.

However, from what you have told me I am not too concerned. I would be more worried if you said Allie did not want to eat much at all. If she is eating a significant amount of the dry renal food she should be ok. If she starts to go off of her dry food too though this can be a sign that things are not going well with her kidneys.

To answer your question, in my opinion the effect on her kidneys of just eating dry food is likely minimal if anything at all.

You could talk to your vet about whether giving subcutaneous fluids to Allie would help. I have many clients who either come in once or twice a week or who have been taught to do fluids at home. These extra fluids will be even more beneficial than canned food in supplying extra fluid to her body.

I want to thank you again for asking your question. It is interesting that my husband's name is David and we have a Persian cat named Allie! Strange!

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (12310 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (37835 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (27921 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (10467 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9132 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (41554 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13332 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7515 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23188 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (12530 views)