Won't eat kidney diet.

Breed: Himalayan/Persion
My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both can/wet and dry) for the last five years. They recently changed the can formula on NF Kidney food, which was the only brand that she would eat. I still have a few cans left. She refuses to eat the new formula. She does eat the dry food and drink her water regularly. What is the harm to her if she only eats the dry food? Is it substantial, moderate, minimal, or no effect at all? She is currently doing real well and her kidney numbers have stabilized. My fear is that by not eating the canned food anymore she could take a turn for the worse. Please inform.

Hi there David and thanks for your question!

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Allie. To live with renal disease for 5 years means that you and your vet are doing all of the right things.

You are right that canned food tends to be better for cats with kidney disease. This is because it will provide more moisture for the Allie to help to replace some of the extra fluid that her kidneys are urinating out.

However, from what you have told me I am not too concerned. I would be more worried if you said Allie did not want to eat much at all. If she is eating a significant amount of the dry renal food she should be ok. If she starts to go off of her dry food too though this can be a sign that things are not going well with her kidneys.

To answer your question, in my opinion the effect on her kidneys of just eating dry food is likely minimal if anything at all.

You could talk to your vet about whether giving subcutaneous fluids to Allie would help. I have many clients who either come in once or twice a week or who have been taught to do fluids at home. These extra fluids will be even more beneficial than canned food in supplying extra fluid to her body.

I want to thank you again for asking your question. It is interesting that my husband's name is David and we have a Persian cat named Allie! Strange!

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5685 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8163 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8296 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7186 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4554 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8071 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5043 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10891 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11263 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8331 views)