10 month puppy with heartworm.

Breed: Unknown; Terrier mix
I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was "low positive" for heartworm. The lady at the SPCA told me b/c he is so young, that I could simply give him Heartguard once a month for treatment (which I would do anyway for prevention), instead of having to get the really expensive treatment. Is this correct information?

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few factors to consider here.

If this were my case I would want to be repeating the heartworm test to confirm that it is a true positive. As with any test, you can sometimes get false positives. I would likely use a different type of test. So, if I had a patient with a low positive on an antigen test (which is what I usually use) then I would likely do a DNA test next and also repeat another antigen test to confirm.

Heartworms have to be present for 6 months before they are detectable by a heartworm test. While it is possible for a dog to get heartworm at less than 4 months of age it is not common.

If this truly is heartworm then I would likely recommend the immiticide treatment which is unfortunately the expensive one.

If we treat with Heartgard, the heartgard will kill any microfilaria (baby heartworms) that are produced but will not kill any adult heartworms that are there. It will take 2-3 years for those adult heartworms to die. In this time it can cause damage to his heart, and can also cause him to be generally unwell.

So, I usually only recommend monthly heartgard as a treatment when owners cannot afford the immiticide treatment.

I would advise you have your vet look at little Skeeter and repeat the heartworm test. Hopefully we just have a false positive and then no treatment is necessary!

How much would a DNA heartworm test cost? repeat antigen test? and general cost of ivermectin treatment?

I'm sorry I meant how much is the immiticide treatment generally.

Thanks

Ah, these are tough questions to answer as prices will vary a lot from area to area.

A regular heartworm test can be anywhere from $15-$40. A DNA test will be a little bit more than that.

You will likely need to have an exam with a vet before they can do the test. This will be about $50-$80.

The immiticide treatment (note, not ivermectin) depends on a number of factors. The last one I did was around $1000.00, but they can be less.

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12400 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (6414 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (9010 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13649 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5457 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (5039 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8223 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10034 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (66433 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (28085 views)