10 month puppy with heartworm.

Breed: Unknown; Terrier mix
I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was "low positive" for heartworm. The lady at the SPCA told me b/c he is so young, that I could simply give him Heartguard once a month for treatment (which I would do anyway for prevention), instead of having to get the really expensive treatment. Is this correct information?

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few factors to consider here.

If this were my case I would want to be repeating the heartworm test to confirm that it is a true positive. As with any test, you can sometimes get false positives. I would likely use a different type of test. So, if I had a patient with a low positive on an antigen test (which is what I usually use) then I would likely do a DNA test next and also repeat another antigen test to confirm.

Heartworms have to be present for 6 months before they are detectable by a heartworm test. While it is possible for a dog to get heartworm at less than 4 months of age it is not common.

If this truly is heartworm then I would likely recommend the immiticide treatment which is unfortunately the expensive one.

If we treat with Heartgard, the heartgard will kill any microfilaria (baby heartworms) that are produced but will not kill any adult heartworms that are there. It will take 2-3 years for those adult heartworms to die. In this time it can cause damage to his heart, and can also cause him to be generally unwell.

So, I usually only recommend monthly heartgard as a treatment when owners cannot afford the immiticide treatment.

I would advise you have your vet look at little Skeeter and repeat the heartworm test. Hopefully we just have a false positive and then no treatment is necessary!

How much would a DNA heartworm test cost? repeat antigen test? and general cost of ivermectin treatment?

I'm sorry I meant how much is the immiticide treatment generally.

Thanks

Ah, these are tough questions to answer as prices will vary a lot from area to area.

A regular heartworm test can be anywhere from $15-$40. A DNA test will be a little bit more than that.

You will likely need to have an exam with a vet before they can do the test. This will be about $50-$80.

The immiticide treatment (note, not ivermectin) depends on a number of factors. The last one I did was around $1000.00, but they can be less.

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11379 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4997 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35242 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16263 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (9497 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9373 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6440 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23484 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9610 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (7841 views)