10 month puppy with heartworm.

Breed: Unknown; Terrier mix
I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was "low positive" for heartworm. The lady at the SPCA told me b/c he is so young, that I could simply give him Heartguard once a month for treatment (which I would do anyway for prevention), instead of having to get the really expensive treatment. Is this correct information?

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few factors to consider here.

If this were my case I would want to be repeating the heartworm test to confirm that it is a true positive. As with any test, you can sometimes get false positives. I would likely use a different type of test. So, if I had a patient with a low positive on an antigen test (which is what I usually use) then I would likely do a DNA test next and also repeat another antigen test to confirm.

Heartworms have to be present for 6 months before they are detectable by a heartworm test. While it is possible for a dog to get heartworm at less than 4 months of age it is not common.

If this truly is heartworm then I would likely recommend the immiticide treatment which is unfortunately the expensive one.

If we treat with Heartgard, the heartgard will kill any microfilaria (baby heartworms) that are produced but will not kill any adult heartworms that are there. It will take 2-3 years for those adult heartworms to die. In this time it can cause damage to his heart, and can also cause him to be generally unwell.

So, I usually only recommend monthly heartgard as a treatment when owners cannot afford the immiticide treatment.

I would advise you have your vet look at little Skeeter and repeat the heartworm test. Hopefully we just have a false positive and then no treatment is necessary!

How much would a DNA heartworm test cost? repeat antigen test? and general cost of ivermectin treatment?

I'm sorry I meant how much is the immiticide treatment generally.

Thanks

Ah, these are tough questions to answer as prices will vary a lot from area to area.

A regular heartworm test can be anywhere from $15-$40. A DNA test will be a little bit more than that.

You will likely need to have an exam with a vet before they can do the test. This will be about $50-$80.

The immiticide treatment (note, not ivermectin) depends on a number of factors. The last one I did was around $1000.00, but they can be less.

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8099 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (15570 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (9854 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10337 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (13694 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (7886 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20398 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (18770 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (35915 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8287 views)