10 month puppy with heartworm.

Breed: Unknown; Terrier mix
I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was "low positive" for heartworm. The lady at the SPCA told me b/c he is so young, that I could simply give him Heartguard once a month for treatment (which I would do anyway for prevention), instead of having to get the really expensive treatment. Is this correct information?

Thanks for a great question!

There are a few factors to consider here.

If this were my case I would want to be repeating the heartworm test to confirm that it is a true positive. As with any test, you can sometimes get false positives. I would likely use a different type of test. So, if I had a patient with a low positive on an antigen test (which is what I usually use) then I would likely do a DNA test next and also repeat another antigen test to confirm.

Heartworms have to be present for 6 months before they are detectable by a heartworm test. While it is possible for a dog to get heartworm at less than 4 months of age it is not common.

If this truly is heartworm then I would likely recommend the immiticide treatment which is unfortunately the expensive one.

If we treat with Heartgard, the heartgard will kill any microfilaria (baby heartworms) that are produced but will not kill any adult heartworms that are there. It will take 2-3 years for those adult heartworms to die. In this time it can cause damage to his heart, and can also cause him to be generally unwell.

So, I usually only recommend monthly heartgard as a treatment when owners cannot afford the immiticide treatment.

I would advise you have your vet look at little Skeeter and repeat the heartworm test. Hopefully we just have a false positive and then no treatment is necessary!

How much would a DNA heartworm test cost? repeat antigen test? and general cost of ivermectin treatment?

I'm sorry I meant how much is the immiticide treatment generally.

Thanks

Ah, these are tough questions to answer as prices will vary a lot from area to area.

A regular heartworm test can be anywhere from $15-$40. A DNA test will be a little bit more than that.

You will likely need to have an exam with a vet before they can do the test. This will be about $50-$80.

The immiticide treatment (note, not ivermectin) depends on a number of factors. The last one I did was around $1000.00, but they can be less.

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (29987 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (18687 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (18865 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9650 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14778 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9185 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20316 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (13045 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6904 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9052 views)