Remove lumps?

Breed: Golden
Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in the lines - as most American goldens. He has had two lumps removed from his body when he was put under to remove two papaloma virus in his mouth (small). Both were non cancer. Now I found two more lumps. One you can really pull away with the skin, the other is deeper but vet says you can still separate it. My vet does not like to asperate (sp). He prefers to take lump and biopsy if suspicious. He feels you can get a false negative when only getting a small portion of lump. Should I have the lumps removed - his blood work and exams all look great. Althogh a holistic vet thought his gums were quite pale. He also is thought to have mascatory myositis. Biopsies at 1.5 years old were inconclusive and his jaw is fine other than he can only open enough to hold a tennis ball and his head is very boney. I really don't feel my vet is out for the $$. He is not a pushy guy. I pursue the extensive blood work just because Sammy acts older then my 11 year old. Should I have the lumps removed putting him through the surgery?
Thanks so much for your opinion!
Karen

Hi Karen and thanks for your question. This may be a tough one to answer without being able to examine Sammy. But, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

While I will often do a fine needle aspirate on a lump, there are some lumps where I would prefer to do a biopsy. If I think a lump is extremely likely to be a lipoma (fat lump) then I will usually do a fine needle aspirate from several areas rather than biopsying. However, if I am suspicious of something more sinister such as a spindle cell tumor or a mast cell tumor I may be more likely to biopsy or even remove the entire lump. Really this decision on whether to do an aspirate or biopsy can only be made after examining the lump. So, if your vet doesn't feel comfortable with just an aspirate then the biopsy is a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about one vet thinking his gums were pale. This can sometimes mean that there is anemia (low red cells) but the bloodwork would have shown us this.

It sounds like you are in good hands. If Sammy's blood work is normal then I would have no concerns about an anesthetic. If this is what your vet is advising then it sounds like a good idea to go ahead.

I hope all goes well!

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (17740 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (16096 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (140108 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (18641 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (10550 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (29072 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (14277 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (8623 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (39945 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (13908 views)