Remove lumps?

Breed: Golden
Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in the lines - as most American goldens. He has had two lumps removed from his body when he was put under to remove two papaloma virus in his mouth (small). Both were non cancer. Now I found two more lumps. One you can really pull away with the skin, the other is deeper but vet says you can still separate it. My vet does not like to asperate (sp). He prefers to take lump and biopsy if suspicious. He feels you can get a false negative when only getting a small portion of lump. Should I have the lumps removed - his blood work and exams all look great. Althogh a holistic vet thought his gums were quite pale. He also is thought to have mascatory myositis. Biopsies at 1.5 years old were inconclusive and his jaw is fine other than he can only open enough to hold a tennis ball and his head is very boney. I really don't feel my vet is out for the $$. He is not a pushy guy. I pursue the extensive blood work just because Sammy acts older then my 11 year old. Should I have the lumps removed putting him through the surgery?
Thanks so much for your opinion!
Karen

Hi Karen and thanks for your question. This may be a tough one to answer without being able to examine Sammy. But, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

While I will often do a fine needle aspirate on a lump, there are some lumps where I would prefer to do a biopsy. If I think a lump is extremely likely to be a lipoma (fat lump) then I will usually do a fine needle aspirate from several areas rather than biopsying. However, if I am suspicious of something more sinister such as a spindle cell tumor or a mast cell tumor I may be more likely to biopsy or even remove the entire lump. Really this decision on whether to do an aspirate or biopsy can only be made after examining the lump. So, if your vet doesn't feel comfortable with just an aspirate then the biopsy is a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about one vet thinking his gums were pale. This can sometimes mean that there is anemia (low red cells) but the bloodwork would have shown us this.

It sounds like you are in good hands. If Sammy's blood work is normal then I would have no concerns about an anesthetic. If this is what your vet is advising then it sounds like a good idea to go ahead.

I hope all goes well!

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (51956 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5463 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9168 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10633 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7762 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15461 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11922 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (11400 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8954 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (26120 views)