Remove lumps?

Breed: Golden
Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in the lines - as most American goldens. He has had two lumps removed from his body when he was put under to remove two papaloma virus in his mouth (small). Both were non cancer. Now I found two more lumps. One you can really pull away with the skin, the other is deeper but vet says you can still separate it. My vet does not like to asperate (sp). He prefers to take lump and biopsy if suspicious. He feels you can get a false negative when only getting a small portion of lump. Should I have the lumps removed - his blood work and exams all look great. Althogh a holistic vet thought his gums were quite pale. He also is thought to have mascatory myositis. Biopsies at 1.5 years old were inconclusive and his jaw is fine other than he can only open enough to hold a tennis ball and his head is very boney. I really don't feel my vet is out for the $$. He is not a pushy guy. I pursue the extensive blood work just because Sammy acts older then my 11 year old. Should I have the lumps removed putting him through the surgery?
Thanks so much for your opinion!
Karen

Hi Karen and thanks for your question. This may be a tough one to answer without being able to examine Sammy. But, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

While I will often do a fine needle aspirate on a lump, there are some lumps where I would prefer to do a biopsy. If I think a lump is extremely likely to be a lipoma (fat lump) then I will usually do a fine needle aspirate from several areas rather than biopsying. However, if I am suspicious of something more sinister such as a spindle cell tumor or a mast cell tumor I may be more likely to biopsy or even remove the entire lump. Really this decision on whether to do an aspirate or biopsy can only be made after examining the lump. So, if your vet doesn't feel comfortable with just an aspirate then the biopsy is a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about one vet thinking his gums were pale. This can sometimes mean that there is anemia (low red cells) but the bloodwork would have shown us this.

It sounds like you are in good hands. If Sammy's blood work is normal then I would have no concerns about an anesthetic. If this is what your vet is advising then it sounds like a good idea to go ahead.

I hope all goes well!

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9653 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (19161 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (12041 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (16484 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (24492 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (20459 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (6645 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15259 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (11189 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10334 views)