Remove lumps?

Breed: Golden
Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in the lines - as most American goldens. He has had two lumps removed from his body when he was put under to remove two papaloma virus in his mouth (small). Both were non cancer. Now I found two more lumps. One you can really pull away with the skin, the other is deeper but vet says you can still separate it. My vet does not like to asperate (sp). He prefers to take lump and biopsy if suspicious. He feels you can get a false negative when only getting a small portion of lump. Should I have the lumps removed - his blood work and exams all look great. Althogh a holistic vet thought his gums were quite pale. He also is thought to have mascatory myositis. Biopsies at 1.5 years old were inconclusive and his jaw is fine other than he can only open enough to hold a tennis ball and his head is very boney. I really don't feel my vet is out for the $$. He is not a pushy guy. I pursue the extensive blood work just because Sammy acts older then my 11 year old. Should I have the lumps removed putting him through the surgery?
Thanks so much for your opinion!
Karen

Hi Karen and thanks for your question. This may be a tough one to answer without being able to examine Sammy. But, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

While I will often do a fine needle aspirate on a lump, there are some lumps where I would prefer to do a biopsy. If I think a lump is extremely likely to be a lipoma (fat lump) then I will usually do a fine needle aspirate from several areas rather than biopsying. However, if I am suspicious of something more sinister such as a spindle cell tumor or a mast cell tumor I may be more likely to biopsy or even remove the entire lump. Really this decision on whether to do an aspirate or biopsy can only be made after examining the lump. So, if your vet doesn't feel comfortable with just an aspirate then the biopsy is a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about one vet thinking his gums were pale. This can sometimes mean that there is anemia (low red cells) but the bloodwork would have shown us this.

It sounds like you are in good hands. If Sammy's blood work is normal then I would have no concerns about an anesthetic. If this is what your vet is advising then it sounds like a good idea to go ahead.

I hope all goes well!

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4207 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13141 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (27965 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13719 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (11152 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24397 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8225 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24887 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8024 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12807 views)