Bump on cat's ear.

Breed: Mixed

I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels like a large pimple.

I found it while scratching my cat's head. Scratching it or around it seems to relieve a sort of "itch". Thinking back, my cat has REALLY liked me scratching left for the past couple of months, so the bump might not be new at all.

I took a picture of it:

http://i.minus.com/ibgd2lvP2LYlD1.jpg

Otherwise, my cat behaves normally and hasn't had any significant and abrupt weight loss.

Thank you for your help, I'm sure you can guess I am concerned with my kitty's well-being.

Hi and thanks for your question. You've sent an excellent picture of your cat's ear. Of course, I can't make a diagnosis over the Internet. However I can tell you what kinds of things can look like this.

My first thought is that this is not something normal. It does look like something that I would get checked out by your veterinarian. There is a possibility that this is something called a mast cell tumor. It could also be a basal cell tumor. Or there are other types of tumors that can look like this.

Is this something brand-new? Have you just recently noticed it? It's possible that this is a mini abscess. Or it could be the result of an insect sting. It's also possible that it's something very benign like a wart. But from the picture it just looks different than that.

I normally don't jump to advising people to go in right away to get lumps checked, however, this one has me a little worried. It's best to be safe rather than sorry. I would have it checked out next week.

I hope everything is okay!

Thank you very much for your answer, I will schedule an appointment with a veterinarian first thing tomorrow.

I don't know if it was noticeable in my other picture, but in this one :

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8d186dd5ff&view=att&th=1335159bcf610166&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

There is a visible "white head" when pinched lightly, the mass looks like it will "pop"

I don't know if this information is helpful at all.

As for how long it has been there, I can't say for sure but I have noticed my cat scratching his ear for a little while, I can't say if it was excessive or not, but frequent ebough that I noticed.

He has also lost a patch of hair on his belly about a year ago although it is regrowing. I can't feel any other bumps.

Unfortunately that picture isn't visible to me. Are you able to store it in the same place as the first one?

I am sorry, wrong link. Here is the right one :

http://i.minus.com/iOgiAd0AYCxa0.jpg

That's a good picture. My answer stays the same though. This lump has me worried. I'm hoping it's some type of local reaction to an insect sting, but again it might be something more serious. Please let me know what the vet says.

Thank you, I will let you know.

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21935 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15170 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (39728 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4799 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9292 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22239 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8671 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8089 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7773 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (63935 views)