Bump on cat's ear.

Breed: Mixed

I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels like a large pimple.

I found it while scratching my cat's head. Scratching it or around it seems to relieve a sort of "itch". Thinking back, my cat has REALLY liked me scratching left for the past couple of months, so the bump might not be new at all.

I took a picture of it:

http://i.minus.com/ibgd2lvP2LYlD1.jpg

Otherwise, my cat behaves normally and hasn't had any significant and abrupt weight loss.

Thank you for your help, I'm sure you can guess I am concerned with my kitty's well-being.

Hi and thanks for your question. You've sent an excellent picture of your cat's ear. Of course, I can't make a diagnosis over the Internet. However I can tell you what kinds of things can look like this.

My first thought is that this is not something normal. It does look like something that I would get checked out by your veterinarian. There is a possibility that this is something called a mast cell tumor. It could also be a basal cell tumor. Or there are other types of tumors that can look like this.

Is this something brand-new? Have you just recently noticed it? It's possible that this is a mini abscess. Or it could be the result of an insect sting. It's also possible that it's something very benign like a wart. But from the picture it just looks different than that.

I normally don't jump to advising people to go in right away to get lumps checked, however, this one has me a little worried. It's best to be safe rather than sorry. I would have it checked out next week.

I hope everything is okay!

Thank you very much for your answer, I will schedule an appointment with a veterinarian first thing tomorrow.

I don't know if it was noticeable in my other picture, but in this one :

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8d186dd5ff&view=att&th=1335159bcf610166&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

There is a visible "white head" when pinched lightly, the mass looks like it will "pop"

I don't know if this information is helpful at all.

As for how long it has been there, I can't say for sure but I have noticed my cat scratching his ear for a little while, I can't say if it was excessive or not, but frequent ebough that I noticed.

He has also lost a patch of hair on his belly about a year ago although it is regrowing. I can't feel any other bumps.

Unfortunately that picture isn't visible to me. Are you able to store it in the same place as the first one?

I am sorry, wrong link. Here is the right one :

http://i.minus.com/iOgiAd0AYCxa0.jpg

That's a good picture. My answer stays the same though. This lump has me worried. I'm hoping it's some type of local reaction to an insect sting, but again it might be something more serious. Please let me know what the vet says.

Thank you, I will let you know.

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (27952 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (7720 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (16495 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (8833 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9214 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (19739 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10046 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (15578 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24059 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (9829 views)