Bump on cat's ear.

Breed: Mixed

I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels like a large pimple.

I found it while scratching my cat's head. Scratching it or around it seems to relieve a sort of "itch". Thinking back, my cat has REALLY liked me scratching left for the past couple of months, so the bump might not be new at all.

I took a picture of it:

http://i.minus.com/ibgd2lvP2LYlD1.jpg

Otherwise, my cat behaves normally and hasn't had any significant and abrupt weight loss.

Thank you for your help, I'm sure you can guess I am concerned with my kitty's well-being.

Hi and thanks for your question. You've sent an excellent picture of your cat's ear. Of course, I can't make a diagnosis over the Internet. However I can tell you what kinds of things can look like this.

My first thought is that this is not something normal. It does look like something that I would get checked out by your veterinarian. There is a possibility that this is something called a mast cell tumor. It could also be a basal cell tumor. Or there are other types of tumors that can look like this.

Is this something brand-new? Have you just recently noticed it? It's possible that this is a mini abscess. Or it could be the result of an insect sting. It's also possible that it's something very benign like a wart. But from the picture it just looks different than that.

I normally don't jump to advising people to go in right away to get lumps checked, however, this one has me a little worried. It's best to be safe rather than sorry. I would have it checked out next week.

I hope everything is okay!

Thank you very much for your answer, I will schedule an appointment with a veterinarian first thing tomorrow.

I don't know if it was noticeable in my other picture, but in this one :

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8d186dd5ff&view=att&th=1335159bcf610166&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

There is a visible "white head" when pinched lightly, the mass looks like it will "pop"

I don't know if this information is helpful at all.

As for how long it has been there, I can't say for sure but I have noticed my cat scratching his ear for a little while, I can't say if it was excessive or not, but frequent ebough that I noticed.

He has also lost a patch of hair on his belly about a year ago although it is regrowing. I can't feel any other bumps.

Unfortunately that picture isn't visible to me. Are you able to store it in the same place as the first one?

I am sorry, wrong link. Here is the right one :

http://i.minus.com/iOgiAd0AYCxa0.jpg

That's a good picture. My answer stays the same though. This lump has me worried. I'm hoping it's some type of local reaction to an insect sting, but again it might be something more serious. Please let me know what the vet says.

Thank you, I will let you know.

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9459 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5193 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (8341 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (12886 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (8373 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (9398 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (53616 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (11244 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10105 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (15141 views)