Bump on cat's ear.

Breed: Mixed

I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels like a large pimple.

I found it while scratching my cat's head. Scratching it or around it seems to relieve a sort of "itch". Thinking back, my cat has REALLY liked me scratching left for the past couple of months, so the bump might not be new at all.

I took a picture of it:

http://i.minus.com/ibgd2lvP2LYlD1.jpg

Otherwise, my cat behaves normally and hasn't had any significant and abrupt weight loss.

Thank you for your help, I'm sure you can guess I am concerned with my kitty's well-being.

Hi and thanks for your question. You've sent an excellent picture of your cat's ear. Of course, I can't make a diagnosis over the Internet. However I can tell you what kinds of things can look like this.

My first thought is that this is not something normal. It does look like something that I would get checked out by your veterinarian. There is a possibility that this is something called a mast cell tumor. It could also be a basal cell tumor. Or there are other types of tumors that can look like this.

Is this something brand-new? Have you just recently noticed it? It's possible that this is a mini abscess. Or it could be the result of an insect sting. It's also possible that it's something very benign like a wart. But from the picture it just looks different than that.

I normally don't jump to advising people to go in right away to get lumps checked, however, this one has me a little worried. It's best to be safe rather than sorry. I would have it checked out next week.

I hope everything is okay!

Thank you very much for your answer, I will schedule an appointment with a veterinarian first thing tomorrow.

I don't know if it was noticeable in my other picture, but in this one :

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8d186dd5ff&view=att&th=1335159bcf610166&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

There is a visible "white head" when pinched lightly, the mass looks like it will "pop"

I don't know if this information is helpful at all.

As for how long it has been there, I can't say for sure but I have noticed my cat scratching his ear for a little while, I can't say if it was excessive or not, but frequent ebough that I noticed.

He has also lost a patch of hair on his belly about a year ago although it is regrowing. I can't feel any other bumps.

Unfortunately that picture isn't visible to me. Are you able to store it in the same place as the first one?

I am sorry, wrong link. Here is the right one :

http://i.minus.com/iOgiAd0AYCxa0.jpg

That's a good picture. My answer stays the same though. This lump has me worried. I'm hoping it's some type of local reaction to an insect sting, but again it might be something more serious. Please let me know what the vet says.

Thank you, I will let you know.

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (14204 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (21982 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (19309 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (24323 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (13935 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9052 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (14915 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (27873 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (5200 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (149739 views)